'Not' Crimson Skies planes available on Shapeways

Planes fer less, getum at Honest Harry's. (Trading area)
NickHNASB
PostsCOLON 81
JoinedCOLON Mon May 20, 2013 11:34 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
CONTACTCOLON

'Not' Crimson Skies planes available on Shapeways

Postby NickHNASB » Sat May 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi,
I've been a long time fan on the Crimson Skies setting and own quite a number of the FASA and Clix models.
Last year (2012) I discovered the Shapeways 3D printing service and frustrated that I could not find the kind of aircraft I wanted started designing my own based on various oddball aircraft from the 1930s and 1940s. You can see my current range here: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/fenedgewargaming
I do these designs as a hobby and donate all the money from sales to a local charity. The models are primarily in 1/200 scale but I will rescale them to 1/300 on request.

If any of you have aircraft designs that might be suitable I would be willing to turn them into models for 3D printing at no cost.
In order to create a design I will need a reasonably accurate 2-view or preferably 3-view diagram and some dimensions which should be consistent with the diagrams!

I'm sorry but I will not be able to do any of the 'missing' official designs, IP lawyers are a terrible thing :(

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: 'Not' Crimson Skies planes available on Shapeways

Postby Grant » Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Hot dang I just might hafta order some!

Also might send a couple of my home-made models to you if I can get a good side/top view of them as I'd like more than my One-off copies.

Thanks! This looks AMAZING!!!

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Mon May 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Good looking stuff! Always loved the Grokhovsky G-38, great to see it modeled!

I have question about scale. Which scale fits best with the old Crimson Skies metal minis from RP and IWM and which ones fit with the ClickyTech?
Flying the Crimson Skies

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Tue May 28, 2013 10:29 pm

Awesome models... one would be perfect for my B+V 141!
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Thom wroteColonGood looking stuff! Always loved the Grokhovsky G-38, great to see it modeled!

I have question about scale. Which scale fits best with the old Crimson Skies metal minis from RP and IWM and which ones fit with the ClickyTech?

It depends on the plane size. Easiest way is this:

Take the planes length and wingspan and convert it to inches then divide by 200 and 300, that will give you 1:200 and 1:300 dimensinos.

NickHNASB
PostsCOLON 81
CONTACTCOLON

Postby NickHNASB » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi Guys,

Sorry not to have returned to this topic sooner, I thought I had subscribed to it :oops:

I have both FASA metal and Clix plastic CS aircraft, the 1/200 look OK with both but neither is perfect as the larger CS aircraft are closer to 1/300 and the smaller ones to 1/200 :?
I'm using 1/200 as, overall, I think it's a better match and I like the size of the size of the models more. Also they seem to print more reliably.

I've agreed to do designs for most of the aircraft in Patrick's Zeppelins and Bombers and have just posted a draft version of the Badger:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/1155937/1-200-brunswick-comet-co-badger.html
Please let me know if the proportions aren't right or if I've left off any key features (other than details of control surfaces).

If it's OK I'll put it on sale in the next day or two as a pair (saves on Shapeways setup charge), normally I wouldn't offer a model for sale without getting some kind of test print first but because these are aircraft that have emerged from your imagination I figured you are probably the best judges if it is right.

I'm also happy to take suggestion on what order to model the aircraft and would welcome any additional artwork you can supply or firm dimensions (metric please), otherwise I have to guess ;)

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:58 am

Thanks, that helps!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Wow, Nick thank you!

You could make the MG longer like on the cover of Z&B but I am more than happy with the current render!
Malphas, over and out

NickHNASB
PostsCOLON 81
CONTACTCOLON

Postby NickHNASB » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:40 pm

I will make the MGs a little longer but they may need to be a little thicker.

Technically the guns currently count as 'details' under Shapeways rules, if I make them much longer they will become 'walls' or 'wires' which may need to be thicker and attract more pre-print scrutiny.

NickHNASB
PostsCOLON 81
CONTACTCOLON

Postby NickHNASB » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Available for purchase in pairs: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/fenedgewargaming?section=Dieselpunk&s=0

I think it should pass pre-print QA (you can never be sure) but if there is a problem I will fix it ASAP.

Return to