CS Based RPG Campaign Idea

Other gaming here. PC, board,etc. ANY type of gaming at all.
stormwell
PostsCOLON 102
JoinedCOLON Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:49 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

CS Based RPG Campaign Idea

Postby stormwell » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Recently stumbled across Deadlands Noir, basically the Deadlands RPG set in the 1930s.

http://www.peginc.com/pdfstore/deadlands-noir-pdf/

Now I had an idea of using it but with the Crimson Skies setting, but combined with the history of Deadlands which leads to some differences such as the ACW ending with the Confederacy undefeated and a chunk of California having fallen into the sea.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: CS Based RPG Campaign Idea

Postby Thom » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:11 am

We did some D20 based Crimson Skies Role Playing, here for a while, but it was very difficult to reconcile Crimson Skies based air combat resolution with the various role playing elements. The game mechanics really just don't compliment each other, it proved conclusively that for me, a board game is a board game and an RPG is an RPG.

I think that maybe the most of the Crimson Skies air combat rules would have to be trashed so that combat resolution were brought more inline with the D20 (Or whatever game system you use) core RPG rules game mechanics, then it might become more seamless and story oriented as any good RPG should be. Map, movement and maybe aircraft stats could probably be ported, but the characters stats and skills would have to come from the host RPG.

I have played Deadlands D20 and like it. I have a few of the original Deadlands game books but I have not used them to actually play so I cannot comment on the game mechanics. Deadlands Noir does look interesting though!
Flying the Crimson Skies

stormwell
PostsCOLON 102

Postby stormwell » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:52 am

I'll probably be using Savage Worlds for this, so there is a choice of different settings to pull the air combat stuff from.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:37 am

I have heard a lot of love for Savage Worlds, but have yet to experience it for myself. Good luck!
Flying the Crimson Skies

stormwell
PostsCOLON 102

Postby stormwell » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:47 pm

Just got the Deadlands Noir Companion, it covers a few other cities like San Fran, Lost Angels, Chicago and Salt Lake City as well as having a map of the USA & CSA.

It also includes a brief history, so pretty of stuff to work with.

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:19 pm

I have looked at alot of gaming stuff.

I decided that a true "campaign" was sortof tough unless it was somewhat "scripted". Or if you're like me, don't mind just sorta free-balling it and having ground stuff in one phase and air in another and not bothering to really "mesh" the two :lol:

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:34 pm

http://www.warbirdsrpg.com/

Just saw this and it looks really interesting.
I'll be monitoring the site for developments.
Might be cool- especially if the include rules for building your own unique aircraft... that would put it in the running for 'spiritual successor to Crimson Skies.' It would also make it really easy to convert Crimson Skies aircraft to that system!
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:50 am

That really does looking interesting, perhaps the "Rapid Fire" RGP system might be the answer we need for a Crimson Skies / Crimson Steel / Crimson Seas / Crimson Earth campaign! Any RPG ruleset that can combine map based mechanized combat with Role Play deserves a long look. And ultimate that it what I really want from this genre, "Crimson Battle" Role Playing. . .

Rules for "Crimson Battle" need to be simple and loose enough to keep from getting bogged down in math, too many dice rolls or rule lawyering, yet clear enough to provide a fairly simple mechanic for fair resolution of pretty much anything. Game sessions need an option of being GM controlled OR head to head module based scenarios.

(Yes, I continue to hold out for rules that allow ground combat and air to ground to air to sea combat! In a campaign, it really doesn't matter how many air battles you win, it still takes boots on the ground to control territory.)
Flying the Crimson Skies

Return to