Multiple Redlining

For questions on something you are confused on?
[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 100
JoinedCOLON Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:46 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON German Kaiserreich

Multiple Redlining

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:06 pm

Hey guys,

a thing I recently noticed: It seems like it's totally legal to redline one's engine for several turns in a row. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there's no limit to how far you can push the engine. So why would a really good pilot ever choose a fast and agile plane, when he could simply push his sluggish Groundhog to behave like a Hornet or a Silver Phantom? Apart from that it seems a little unrealistic that a plane with a regular top speed of 1 or 2, could fly at speed 5 round after round after round... (same goes for Max-Gs and Max Accel)

A pilot with Natural Touch of 9, could thus fly the aforementioned Groundhog at speed 5 risking only the default failure of a natural 1. Granted, NT 9 is quite Top Gun, but anyway: What are your thoughts on this? Anybody ever seen the need for limiting how far you could push your plane? Or allowing such a push only every other turn? Or is it balanced enough by the 10% risk of stress damage and engine flareout which keeps people from attempting this too often?

I thought about maybe limiting the number you could push the engine to 2 above its normal limit. A Groundhog would then be able to fly at speed 4 with an accel of 3 but not more.

There have not been too many consecutive redlining attempts in our game, which could have resulted in a (hypothetical) rules abuse lined out above, but then again our group was mostly trying to create balanced pilots anyway...

Nevertheless, it still feels strange to me being able to fly a Groundhog or even a Behemoth at speeds usually reserved for light fighters. Especially since the planes which were constructed with a max speed of 5 can not be pushed any further, as the maneuver template doesn't offer any moves faster than 5.
Many happy landings!

UnluckyNumber
PostsCOLON 71
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:52 am
LocationCOLON Mormon militia pilot trapped in Illinois.

Re: Multiple Redlining

Postby UnluckyNumber » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:14 pm

[GSS]Bandit wroteColonA pilot with Natural Touch of 9, could thus fly the aforementioned Groundhog at speed 5 risking only the default failure of a natural 1. Granted, NT 9 is quite Top Gun, but anyway: What are your thoughts on this? Anybody ever seen the need for limiting how far you could push your plane? Or allowing such a push only every other turn? Or is it balanced enough by the 10% risk of stress damage and engine flareout which keeps people from attempting this too often?

I think it does kind of fit the setting that there will occasionally be such a skilled pilot that they can make a plane do things others would have said is impossible. Admittedly, I've not yet seen someone try to abuse it so maybe I'd feel differently if I had; I don't know. As you say, the risk of stress damage and flareout might be enough, but don't forget also the balancing factor of the points build for pilots/wingmen.

You only have so many points to put into your pilots, and a Natural Touch of 9 is an awful lot of points that could have gone towards something else, Deadeye or Steady Hand in particular for a bigger plane with bigger guns. Each of the pilot skills can be important. Even a too low Sixth Sense can make you cry when you finally have to make that oh so high combat bailout roll. I think the limited points available are probably the most balancing factor. Maybe there could be a problem though near the end of a maxxed out campaign, but I doubt most pilots or campaigns can go that distance.

[GSS]Bandit wroteColonApart from that it seems a little unrealistic that a plane with a regular top speed of 1 or 2, could fly at speed 5 round after round after round... (same goes for Max-Gs and Max Accel)

Off the top of my head, there is an every other turn limit on Max-G's. You can max your G's every turn, but, after the first, each turn after that you perform a 3 or more G move without giving your plane a chance to rest you'll add a +1 modifier to the roll for every G of that maneuver rather than just for every G over your plane's capabilities.
"My footsteps have often been marked with blood." Daniel Boone, 1734-1820.

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 100

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:28 am

I think the Max-G limitation is called Restricted Maneuvers. Looks like a valid base for a house rule, too!

Proposal: If a pilot wants to redline his plane's engine two turns in a row (i.e. exceed Max. speed and/or Max. accel), he has to calculate the target number in the second turn as follows: 8 (base target number) + (desired speed or acceleration) - Natural Touch skill + 2 (if pilot is shocked).

So this would make it harder to continuously fly faster than your plane allows and is also in line with the Restricted Maneuvers rule, while still allowing rather good pilots do pull it off, if need be. Possibly better than the fixed limitation I suggested earlier. Thanks for pointing out the Max-Gs :)
Many happy landings!

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:29 am

One thing, don't overlook the dreaded number 1 roll.....And seriously, not alot of pilots are NT 9 (And shouldn't be in my opinion).

Thing is, seriously, as much as the odds wouldn't think so, Number 1 and 2 (And let's say 1 through 3. Not many pilots over NT 7), come up way more than you think. Maybe I'm unlucky, but numbers below 5 come up probably 60% of the time for me.

Add in the plane will smoke for a turn afterwards, and you just did a S1 maneuver when you mean to do a 3 speed? You're probably in the gunsights of someone loaded with 6XAP rockets about to blow you outta the sky :lol:

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 100

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:30 am

You both are right about NT9 pilots being a rarity rather than the norm, so I don't worry about them potentially pushing their planes every round. Especially because of the 10% chance of failure and damage, no matter how good you are.

I hear you Grant, I also regularly miss the easiest shots when I was sure to scratch another kill; although it hasn't been bad enough to earn myself a callsign like "unlucky number" ;)
Many happy landings!

Return to