Crimson Skies Audio Drama

Got a story? Tell it here (Lies accepted).
Igor
PostsCOLON 127
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:27 am
LocationCOLON Ensconced in my mountain fastness
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Crimson Skies Audio Drama

Postby Igor » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:28 pm

Some links for you to browse to get a taste of 1937 as it actually happened ...Some plot bunnies to think about for Crimson Skies ...
  • Natural events such as the Ohio floods, the Great Hong Kong Typhoon and the solar eclipse of Peru would still have happened
  • Its reasonable to expect that notable people would be the same age in the CS universe but would their lives and positions be the same? If Roosevelt wasn't president than what was he doing? Where was Hemingway if there was no Spanish Civil War? Would Fred Astaire, Humphrey Bogart and the Marx Brothers still be stars?
  • The following people were pilots, what might they have been doing? Danny Kaye (Actor), Arthur Godfrey (Actor), Bob Cummings (Actor), Edgar Bergan (Actor), Kirby Grant (Actor), Jimmy Stewart (Actor), Gene Autry (Singer), Sam Walton (Businessman), Howard Hughes (Businessman), Ted Williams (Baseball), President Dwight D Eisenhower.
  • Similarly what about stars who served in WWII? Jimmy Stewart (again) and David Niven are two I know already, Glenn Miller and Leslie Howard are two more
Just noticed this existing thread started by Thom. The skeleton of a Crimson Skies timeline (Canon?) is HERE.

Igor

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:50 am

Okay. This weekend will be a little slower :shock: I will think up something.

I'm thinking maybe an attack on a passenger liner by Fortune's Death?

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:23 am

Just for the record, in the PC game for CS we see Howard Hughes showing off for the cameras as he gets set to make his newest world record.
Also doesn't he run the nation of Hollywood With Johnny Johnson as his 2nd?
And if he doesn't fully own and run Hollywood by now I am pretty sure that given his grandeous aspirations that it would totally be within his character to claim that he owns a country!
As for Eisenhower, before the 2nd World War he was a fading star
Wikipedia wroteColonDuring the late 1920s and early 1930s Eisenhower's career in the peacetime Army stagnated; many of his friends resigned for high-paying business jobs. He was assigned to the American Battle Monuments Commission, directed by General John J. Pershing, then to the Army War College, and then served as executive officer to General George V. Mosely, Assistant Secretary of War, from 1929 to 1933.

The USA breaks apart by now and he is no longer in the US Army, more likely he returns home and signs up with the Texas Militia and continues his military career with them.

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:15 pm

From my dim memory of David Niven's biography, he was a career officer in the British army before he came to America, although not a pilot. Errol Flynn has many question marks about his life that could see him being involved in politics but using real people in fiction needs to be done with care.

What I would particularly like to do is to use the news reports as real links to other fan work and I'll be contacting people off-line to see if they would like to see this happen. There will also be a strong thread of using incidents in canon fiction as plot fodder.

Just in case you are wondering, no its not plagiarism. I openly and freely admit that these characters are not my own original creations. When I use someone else's character in these news reports, it will not be because I have a poverty of creativity and cannot make my own characters, I can point at all the other supporting characters that I will be creating as evidence of that, if anything it will be the canon characters who will be the supporting cast. I will be doing it to expand the scope of the storyline that I am telling, widening the fictional universe that this work is sited in and acting as a teaser to send people who might want to know more about this hint of a much bigger story to the original author's work.

All-in-all think of it as a type of cross-fertilisation between works. Look at the most successful franchises: DC & Marvel, Star Wars and ( :P of course!) Star Trek! They don't exist in a vacuum. They consist of a vast mythology of interconnected characters and storylines, just like real life.

If I mention the fate of Amanda Rasmussen there will be a strong and clear hyperlink to the work of Loren L. Coleman so that, if we can show a strong enough interest in his unfinished CS trilogy, perhaps the copyright owners will stop sitting on the rest of the volumes and finally release them in English!

Cheers

Igor

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:50 pm

The latest twist to the production is that it is going to be a Pirate radio station! Does this mean it is run by pirates? It plays 60's pop music? Its an oil rig outside the territorial limits? You'll have to wait to find out unless you have an idea you'd like to contribute, in which case PM me.

Joking aside, there were indeed pirate radio stations in 1937 as can seen from this 1934 Popular Mechanix article entitled "OUTLAWS MAY USE SUPER-STATIONS at Sea" on the amazing Modern Mechanix Blogsite.

If you thought the aircraft of Crimson Skies were impossible for the era have a look 'round this site! How about a rocket car, an aerial motorcycle or a floating fuel station?

There's material for a dozen stories just on here!

Igor

PS - How about THIS for a big zeppelin!
PPS - Um, some of the links are of an adult nature - tasteful, interesting, period pieces but as a parent I don't anyone to have any surprises they're not expecting.

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:57 pm

Just thought I'd post an update of the situation as regards the audio drama.

I have three episodes scripted into a draft state thanks to the input of Jerba, Grant and Thom in particular although there has been excellent feedback from other members of the production group, I've got access to expert info on jazz of the era, and I'm about to set up the casting call for the sound editor/director and Voice Actors today.

The project has a lot of possibilities for supporting media, amongst them Jerba has set up a Google Earth map that I am charting the course of the series on and I have the first issue of a fanzine nearly finished. The danger that I have to guard against is to not dilute my efforts by getting side-tracked into other projects no matter how much potential they have.

I'll definitely have a trailer, fanzine and the Google Earth Ship's Log finished by Christmas an I'm aiming on releasing the three episodes of the audio drama at the end of Jan, Feb & March next year. I'll start a separate thread with specific details about the production.

Igor

Thom
PostsCOLON 1005
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:59 pm

Sweeeeeeet! :D
Flying the Crimson Skies

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Postby Jerba » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:06 am

That Modern Mechanix blog is great, I follow it quite regularly. Thanks for posting the bit about the radio stations, VERY interesting!

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:32 am

The release thread for Crimson Skies: Radio Liberty is HERE

Return to