Wings of Justice Vol 3?

Got a story? Tell it here (Lies accepted).
Igor
PostsCOLON 127
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:27 am
LocationCOLON Ensconced in my mountain fastness
CONTACTCOLON

Wings of Justice Vol 3?

Postby Igor » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:14 am

Can someone translate German because this could be a real find !?! Babelfish is inconclusive ...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110423391605&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123
... is this the third volume of the Wings of Justice trilogy that was assumed never published? :o

Alan

RabidFox
PostsCOLON 34
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Wings of Justice Vol 3?

Postby RabidFox » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:53 am

Actually Igor, the entire Wings of Justice trilogy WAS published, just only in German.
Just like the entire Wings of Fortune trilogy was published, just only in Spanish.
The flipside problem is that Wings of Justice #3 was never in Spanish and Wings of Fortune #3 was never in German.
Of course the problem on our side of the Pond is that four of the books were never published in English even though that was the language they were written in.
I have spoken to all of the authors involved, and with the contract MS has them locked into, they could not even let me borrow one of their manuscript copies to read even with my owning all of the Spanish copies.
Sorry.

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:49 pm

Parriah is working on translating and turning them into english, but that's a fair ways off yet.

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:29 pm

RabidFox wroteColonActually Igor, the entire Wings of Justice trilogy WAS published, just only in German.
Just like the entire Wings of Fortune trilogy was published, just only in Spanish.
The flipside problem is that Wings of Justice #3 was never in Spanish and Wings of Fortune #3 was never in German.
Of course the problem on our side of the Pond is that four of the books were never published in English even though that was the language they were written in.
I have spoken to all of the authors involved, and with the contract MS has them locked into, they could not even let me borrow one of their manuscript copies to read even with my owning all of the Spanish copies.
Sorry.
Bummer! Which knocks my hope of seeing them released as eBooks in the head! One of the obvious ways I could see S&T making money out of their existing work is to release the unpublished paperbacks as eBooks. Why eBooks? they cut out all the costs of printing, warehousing, freight and retailing! Close to 100% of the retail price of the book would go to the Game owner and the author. For those who can't live without print on paper they can be mailed a Print-On-Demand copy.

But if the copyright is under the Microsoft banner and didn't transfer to Smith & Tinker [shrugs] MS aren't great supporters of ePublishing.

Thanks for the info!

Igor

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:48 pm

In a recent discussion with one of the authors in question, it was revealed that all is not lost and things are "In motion" concerning the CS line of past (and future) novels, no promises made and nothing specific can be revealed at this time. But it is being looked into by the powers that be.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:17 am

RabidFox wroteColonActually Igor, the entire Wings of Justice trilogy WAS published, just only in German.
Sorry.

Perhaps you can clear up an anomaly in the records then ...

The book on eBay is Gefecht in den Wolken which translates as Combat in the Clouds right? This is written by Jason Hardy and shown on WorldCat as Wings of Justice #3.

... BUT ...

According to Loren L Coleman's bibliography on FantasticFiction and SciFan both show his novel Falcon's Prey as being Wings of Justice #3!

Since the cover shown on FantasticFiction has WoJ on it and the blurb mentions Trevor Girard I think Coleman's book is WoJ #3 but in that case what is Jason Hardy's book? Wings of Fortune #3?

Igor

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:11 pm

I am not surprised by the book having a different title, often when a works is translated, they rename it in order to differentiate it from the parent book.
The reason is that the book is never accurately translated, so the translator has to improvise and practically rewrite the whole thing, in essence it is a completely different book.
Then again it could just be a typo!

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:31 am

foxmalcolm wroteColonI am not surprised by the book having a different title, often when a works is translated, they rename it in order to differentiate it from the parent book.
Um yeah but listing it under a different author's name? Gefecht in den Wolken by Jason Hardy and Falcon's Prey by Loren L Coleman?

Igor

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:11 am

I won the auction and I'll let you know when it gets here which series it is part of. The guy is only charging 3.00 euro which is just over Aus$5 for the freight on the one book (I told him he can keep the other two) - freight is the killer on buying from overseas.

Cheers

Igor

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:29 am

OK! The book arrived today so I've got some primary source evidence. Here's the title page ...
Jason Hardy
Gefecht in Den Wolken [Combat in the clouds]
Crimson Skies - Roman [Novel]
Wings of Justice Bd 3
Deutsche Erstaugabe [first edition]
Wilhelm Heyne Verlag [publishing house]
München

... and on the following page it has ...

Titel der Amerikanischen Originalausgabe [Title of the American original edition]
Falcon's Prey
Deutsche übersetzung von [German translation by] Reinhold H. Mai

so according to this, "Falcon's Prey" was written by Jason Hardy. I wonder if it might have been a collaboration?

Igor

Return to