Genre Fan Productions

Got a story? Tell it here (Lies accepted).
Igor
PostsCOLON 127
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:27 am
LocationCOLON Ensconced in my mountain fastness
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Genre Fan Productions

Postby Igor » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:51 am

Igor wroteColon
Grant wroteColonI am going to try and get practiced up on photoshop/photo program (A HUGE task for me ;)) and I may attempt a book with mass amounts of edited photos.....I doubt that will be a soon production, but it is an option on my plate.

If you could get something that could do the close-ups you could do a webcomic like Laz Rojas' Elite Farce.

Cheers

Alan

... or even better, if you are particularly proud of your minis, you could photograph them to make up a webcomic like this one at Matakishi's Tea House, maybe in black & white with the support pylons photoshopped out to look like a pulp era comic? I'm listening to a few OTR programmes. They're all products of their times - I particularly like The Air Adventures of Biggles, an Australian radio show done between '49-'54.

Alan

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:48 am

A good idea.

I am at the moment trying to trim out all the unnecesary miniatures I want to order ($450 is a little high....I been greedy..). It's just tough to decide. Plus a few that aren't quite right. But I'll find something.

my thing is now I am busy in real life. I don't really see any opportunity to slow down until September or October. Until then, it'll all be mainly typing,.

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:07 pm

Elsewhere, Grant said ...
As long as it is fan-based, with no source of income, there should be no problems.
Should S&T produce something similar to whatever produced, then I could see complaints.

Unfortunately, the fact that no money is being made by anyone in the production is no defense under the law. If this were so then you could put your CD collection on the internet for download as long as no-one paid you anything for it - Napster got severely burned trying to do this. ;)

The best summary I've seen on the subject of fan productions in lay terms is the FAQ at the Chilling Effects Clearinghouse.

Its a little complicated in our case because S&T are actively looking for licensees to develop gaming and (I'm guessing) entertainment media so if we come up with anything too innovative they're gonna look at it and say, "Gosh darnit [or words to that effect] that could be a money spinner!" and send out a C&D (Cease And Desist). If we went to court about it would we win? Well, the judges don't always find in favour of the copyright owner, mainly because they have to prove that the offending work actually causes them a demonstrable loss of revenue - easy to do in the case of copyright piracy, the creation of exact copies of videos, books and games for monetary gain, not easy to do in the case of a fan productions which are not copies but unauthorised derivative works that are not for gain.

Take the example of Star Trek: Supremacy. It is a development of an eleven year old game by Microprose, Birth of The Federation, that is no longer for sale and will never be re-released so there is no way that Microprose will be able to get any revenue from it anyway. Imagine though if some game house decided that they would make a similar game themselves? Once they got the license (you pay for them in advance) they'd close down anything that they might see as a serious rival as is their right as the owner of the license.

In our case, the FASA board game is a similar vintage but it might be re-released in some electronic form. To complicate matters even further we don't know what exact form it will take so I would be wary about "breaking new ground" with a computer game beyond a straight out emulation of the board game in the same vein as Vassal.

Doing something with the Board game would be entirely different though since the chances of the box set being re-released in the same form is highly unlikely. If it were to be put out again it would probably be "re-booted" with enhanced rules and game pieces (laser-cut plastic pop-outs like the Pirates of the Caribbean game). The only commercial development I can see of the original FASA game would be sourcebooks and minis as we have discussed elsewhere BUT for them to sell the FASA game would have to be obtainable again - and I don't mean on eBay at $US61 for a used set!

Personally I think S&T would not only be doing the gaming community a favour by releasing the core game materials for the FASA game into the public domain, they would be creating a market for licensed, second party publishers to sell new game material in the form of minis and sourcebooks as well as fostering a renewed fanbase for the Crimson Skies franchise who would be interested in a wider range of electronic media.

Cheers

K

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913

Postby Grant » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:14 am

Yes, but those CD's would be using of currently FOR SALE stuff.

If it was PURELY fan developed, I don't think anyone would squeal. That is, no comparable product, and nothing that is even for sale.

I dunno what S&T's angle is. Sorta makes one wonder :D

By the way, on a side note to anyone who posts here. Although no one official's joined, keep in mind that I am quite sure folks from Micro$oft, S&T,etc, skim the boards ;) As Montanaraiders.com is coming up earlier and earlier in google searches.

refund
PostsCOLON 34
JoinedCOLON Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:49 am

Postby refund » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:12 am

I'm quite sure that people who look for crimson skies related stuff will find this board in the search results, that's how I got here as well.

My experience with Microsoft is not that bad. I've seen some of their reactions to a 'fan-based' project that had the potential (but not intention) to cause them a lot of income loss.
They stayed on top of it, they read everything on the board, but they did let it go as long as the people involved played it fair.

We do not intend to break the rules nor put ourselves on a collision course with any off the mentioned companies. So on that basis, I do not see any reason for us to be secretive about our plans. If they feel that any of the fan-based productions are going against their rights, better allow for them to read it early (and notify us about it) :)

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913

Postby Grant » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:32 am

Just letting people know ;)

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:21 am

refund wroteColonMy experience with Microsoft is not that bad. I've seen some of their reactions to a 'fan-based' project that had the potential (but not intention) to cause them a lot of income loss.
They stayed on top of it, they read everything on the board, but they did let it go as long as the people involved played it fair.

We do not intend to break the rules nor put ourselves on a collision course with any off the mentioned companies. So on that basis, I do not see any reason for us to be secretive about our plans. If they feel that any of the fan-based productions are going against their rights, better allow for them to read it early (and notify us about it) :)

Absolutely right! Fan works are exactly that - the work of fans: people who want to see more of ... whatever it is that they are fans of! :lol: Although I've seen some beautiful fan productions I've never seen anything that has been so good that I've said, "Wow! I don't need to buy the book/movie/game now!" In every case it has only ever wet people's interest.

Igor

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:00 am

Igor wroteColonThe Dixie Stenberg and Brassy Battalion Adventure Theater
"Umket Industries Presents: The Dixie Stenberg and Brassy Battalion Adventure Theater" is an original, ongoing, monthly sci-fi serial adventure.

The Dixie Stenberg and Brassy Battalion Adventure Theater grew out of a shared love for the classic radio theatre shows of the 40s and 50s. Specifically the aerial adventure drama, with shows like Captain Midnight, Hop Harrigan, Adventures by Morse and Speed Gibson. They showcased not only the dramatic range of the writers of the period and the actors and actresses involved, but also a somewhat larger canvas than most other radio serials of the period.

The characters in these shows would traipse all over the world, getting into trouble and danger, sometimes not getting out again, most times saving society or friends or their neighbor's cat, but throughout all of this there was a high sense of fun and adventure in the voices of the cast.

Pendant appears to be getting ready to release these as CDs for sale according to Jeffrey Bridge's Facebook gallery. Image
Its an Indie so they can do that.

Igor

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Postby Jerba » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:26 pm

Interesting. I have all of Dixie Stenburg downloaded, need to find time (and the mood) to listen to them.

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:59 am

Hi guys! I've been coming across more and more amateur material online from the pulp era - its not Crimson Skies but it fits right in with the feel of the game!

There's a lot of radio drama around from the time, but its hard to listen to because of sound quality problems. Alexa Chipman, one of the mainstays of Misfits Audio, has done some restoration work on the iconic series, Bold Venture starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. A tad late for the pre-war Crimson Skies storyline, it is still none-the less a classic of radio acting and production.

I listened to it over our loungeroom stereo and even the wife agreed that Bogey and Bacall were magic!

Cheers

Igor

Return to