Modern Mechanix: SEADROMES to DOT the ATLANTIC OCEAN (1930)

Welland Ontario, Neutral meeting ground for all pilots. Troublemakers will be shot. (General CS discussion).
Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Modern Mechanix: SEADROMES to DOT the ATLANTIC OCEAN (1930)

Postby Jerba » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:28 pm

SEADROMES to DOT the ATLANTIC OCEAN

AN experimental model has proved a success, plans are now being made for the anchoring between New York and Bermuda of the first seadrome for ocean flying airplanes and it is the hope of the supporters that as a result such seadromes will eventually dot the oceans providing safe landings for aircraft.

The one-ton steel model of the seadrome was placed in the Choptank River at Cambridge, Md. The model was one-thirty-second the size of the intended dromes. It is essentially a large platform supported by hollow steel columns, each ending in a circular disk. Air in the cylinders supports the platform well above the water and beyond wave action. Speedboats flashed around the model without rocking it and it is expected that the large dromes will not be affected at all by wave action.

The inventor of the seadrome which he calls the “Langley” after the late Samuel P. Langley, designer of one of the first airplanes, was confident of the success of his model. He was formerly a navy engineer and now is consulting engineer for an eastern concern.

After devoting sixteen years to his schemes and experiments for safe sea bases for aircraft he succeeded in interesting the duPont and General Motors financiers in his plans. They have provided Armstrong with three quarters of a million dollars to finance his first seadrome which is now under construction.

This seadrome, will have a clear runway 1,200 feet long by 200 feet wide. There will be side rooms or quarters as shown in the illustrations herewith for hotels, hangars and a variety of services. The platform will rise 80 feet above calm sea level. No waves have ever been reported more than 45 feet high so the platform is never expected to be awash. The buoyancy pillars will extend 160 feet below sea level.

The engineer, Armstrong, plans to anchor his first full-size seadrome halfway between New York and Bermuda. He studied hydro-graphic charts of the region he had in mind and calculated that there must be a high place in the ocean floor and with the aid of a navy survey ship he found the location desired some 400 miles from Manhattan and 375 miles from Bermuda in a virtually straight line. The table on the ocean floor is six miles long and four miles wide. It is only two miles below sea level. The surrounding depth is three to four miles.

The difference in depth will make a considerable saving in securing the 3-1/2 inch steel cable which will be laid to hold the seadrome in place. The huge anchors of the round bobbin type will dig into the sea floor and prevent drifting of the seadrome.

Mr. Armstrong hopes to have the Langley completed and in place by next fall before Bermuda’s tourist season begins.

The engineer expects that as the Langley makes financial returns he will construct eight similar seadromes between the thirty-fifth and fortieth parallels and some 375 miles apart between New York and Plymouth, England. The 375-mile distance has been determined upon because it is an easy jump for any airplane and would be sufficient to safeguard trans-oceanic air tourists.

Mr. Armstrong, who is seeing his dream come true estimates that with these seadromes and the servicing made possible by them there will be safe Atlantic air crossings in as fast a time as 20 hours. If his plans materialize as he confidently expects and his experiments would indicate, it is possible that before many years have passed dangers of air travel over the seven seas will have been enormously reduced.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Modern Mechanix: SEADROMES to DOT the ATLANTIC OCEAN (1930)

Postby Thom » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:46 pm

What a wonderful idea, but woefully impossible. Winter seas in the Atlantic are usually 20' - 40' or even more, just far to extreme for anything like this. Perhaps with some kind of breakwater it might be feasible, but I really doubt it given the average depth of the mid Atlantic! Now in calmer waters like the Gulf of Mexico or the Indian Ocean, I could imagine this working just fine.

Thanks Jerba!
Flying the Crimson Skies

parriah
PostsCOLON 102
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:56 pm
LocationCOLON Appalicia, but my heart's in Dixie!

Postby parriah » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:20 pm

BUT!
That idea is being used today!
We call them Deep Sea oil Drilling Platforms! :D :D :lol:
Quantity has a quality of its own!
FIAWOL!!
Br549
TANSTAAFL!

UnluckyNumber
PostsCOLON 71
JoinedCOLON Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:52 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Mormon militia pilot trapped in Illinois.

Postby UnluckyNumber » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:59 am

Whether it would work in the real Atlantic or not, it would sure have made a cool entry in a FASA sourcebook. ;) Very cool.
"My footsteps have often been marked with blood." Daniel Boone, 1734-1820.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:13 am

parriah wroteColonBUT!
That idea is being used today!
We call them Deep Sea oil Drilling Platforms! :D :D :lol:

I watched some video on TV last year of one of those rigs riding up and down the waves in forty foot seas. They are not anchored rigidly, the damn things float and use flexible lines to reach the oil! I am convinced they must be insane to live on a rig like that. I wonder how many of those guys do more than one tour of duty? I cannot imagine GOING BACK after escaping one of those! At least with a ship you can face into the waves or LEAVE THE AREA, but those deep sea oil rigs don't have that option. And in the North Atlantic they have to tow the damn things out of the way of wandering icebergs! Total insanity!
Flying the Crimson Skies

parriah
PostsCOLON 102
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:56 pm
LocationCOLON Appalicia, but my heart's in Dixie!

Postby parriah » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:14 pm

Just imagine landing a DC3 on 7 or seven tied together in a storm!

No arrester hook either! :?
Quantity has a quality of its own!
FIAWOL!!
Br549
TANSTAAFL!

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:20 pm

What I want to know is what happened to them?
According to the article he already had approval and financing not to mention already started construction for the first one to be built in Bermuda, but I don't ever recall hearing about them.
. .
. . .
Oh, ok, I just did a quick google on Edward Robert Armstrong and his Seadromes, apparently construction was cancelled soon after approval and financing because of the depression.
Apparently he made several bids and offers to various companies to see his dream a reality however by WWII, the advent of long range passenger flight made the concept obsolete.
Not one to give up easily he ended up approaching one of Sun Oil's subsidiaries and modified his idea to be the worlds first Semi-submersible off shore oil rig.
Still I am surprised that the US military did not jump at his idea during the battle of the pacific!
Rather than wasting time money and resources capturing island airfields, they could have partially constructed these things and floated them to where they were needed.
Hell after placing one or two in a secured area the first one could have be retooled to construct the third one.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:28 pm

You know I can easily see this being modified for the CS universe.
Rather than one Seadrome their probably would be a small complex of them interlined by gantries and bridges.
They would probably be very versatile and have facilities for the service and maintenance of both aircraft, zeppelins and ships.
I could also see there being two or three large ones and a dozen or so "outback" ones [consisting of only one small seadrome but is only tooled to service one type of vehicle, say planes].
Of the large ones I can see one being a pirate haven, another being a military or private security firm base and the other being a tourist hotspot.
I definitely think this warrants further attention.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:21 pm

Oh absolutely worth investigating. I can see these things all over the Gulf of Mexico, parts of the Indian Ocean and South China Sea, even much of the Pacific for that matter. But most of the mid Atlantic is just too violent for much of the year, both north and south from pole to pole. Now any ocean can have bad storms really, it is just that they are more routine in the mid Atlantic.

Floating airports are a reality today with the Japanese making great use of them to serve densely crowded cities. >>Japanese Floating Airports<< and >>Here<<

Admittedly these are on a much greater scale, but really it is just an improvement on the concept.

There is another Japanese project in the works which I could not find a link for. A Japanese firm has purchased one of the Bikini Atolls (Yes, where we tested Nukes after WWII, but this one has been declared safe now.) to build a marine destination resort which will feature FOUR three mile long floating runways surrounding the atoll reef in a square, it will serve as a break water and each runway will suspend a full length curtain fence below it to fence off a nine square mile area of ocean for turtle farming/ranching. Turtles will be bred from eggs transplanted on to floating beaches attached to the runways. (Turtle has a huge market in Japan, both the meat and the shells.) This will provide a second income to help support the project. The hotel will be built largely underwater, having most rooms below the tide line inside the atoll so that guests can watch the marine life from their rooms. There will be numerous theme park type marine and submarine attractions when completed.

The perfect setting for some CS era super rich wannabe warlord!

I can picture it now: A breakaway Asian Prince or Warlord setting himself up as a lord in Micronesia, his palace/base/fortress built into the atoll with a floating runway and sub pen. Local labor, either hired or press ganged into service doing all the grunt work while revenues from his turtle ranch (And the piracy sideline gig!) finance the construction of his naval fleet and aerial forces, from which one day he will <set voice to megalomaniac>RULE THE PACIFIC! ! ! !</voice>
Flying the Crimson Skies

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Here is a link to another article about the seadromes, most of it is just their [the authors] own conjectures but there are a few interesting pictures of the scale model used to test for structural weaknesses.
http://enigmafoundry.wordpress.com/2007/01/01/journey-to-the-end-of-the-night-seadrome-edition/
Found two more:
http://dprbcn.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/seadromes/
http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/landing-airplanes-in-middle-of-sea.html

Return to