Jordan Weisman Q&A interview submission(11th-20th)

Welland Ontario, Neutral meeting ground for all pilots. Troublemakers will be shot. (General CS discussion).
Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Jordan Weisman Q&A interview submission(11th-20th)

Postby Grant » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:42 am

Added in for Parriah:

#1 Do you know the actors/models who were used in the photographs for the FASA set? Mostly the woman who portrayed the Black Swan.?
Can I find her anywhere else? (photos, interviews, etc) The woman who posed for Justine Perot also.

#2 Is there any hope that there will be any future releases? Especially tabletop games?

#3 Will you (or whoever is doing it) need a writer for fiction again?

#4 Not a question, But thank you profusely for one of my two favorite games(obsessions) THANX

parriah
PostsCOLON 102
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:56 pm
LocationCOLON Appalicia, but my heart's in Dixie!

Postby parriah » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Thanx Grant!
Quantity has a quality of its own!
FIAWOL!!
Br549
TANSTAAFL!

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913

Postby Grant » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:00 am

Okay, on to my other questions.

#1. Is there any particular thing that you wished had been published/created for Crimson Skies before the board game went kaput? Any particular region you wanted to cover, or create a background for?

#2. I echo Parriah's request #1 and wanted to elaborate a bit. Were the actors regular models? Walkins to wherever FASA is, fans,etc.? If that data can be released legally that is.

#3. S&T is releasing MW4. Did S&T buy the rights to the previous games as well? If not, then okay. If so, would it ever be possible to release Crimson Skies-PC coding?

#4 Deals with Smith&Tinker. Was it your idea to form it? Going from sorta...groundup, was there anything made you say "Hey, let's start up a company and do this"?

#5. What exactly is S&T's stance on fan-products? As long as no official material is taken, no prices charged, and it adds only fan-produced material is it admissable? I realize that the boardgame's rights are still in the hands of another company, but electronically I was wondering, in case any variation was made for a PC game, or hex-based Javagame.

Well Mister Weisman, I appreciate the time you're taking to answer everyone's questions :D I wish you luck on your upcoming projects.

And everyone else: Still some time to ask a question if you want!

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913

Postby Grant » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:56 am

Posting is now closed to allow Mister Weisman a chance to reply to them.

Thank you everyone for your participation.

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913

Postby Grant » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:37 am

He sent his reply. Enclosed below::::

As you may know, many of us on this forum are involved in a number of Crimson Skies fan generated initiatives (radio dramas, fan fiction, cgi, etc). In the age of the Internet it seems licensed properties, whether creative fans are, increasingly driving Crimson Skies, Star Wars, etc. Do you see a future for fan driven franchises? Will it change the traditional model of licensing? What help can the fans be in re-launching an official Crimson Skies license and other than customers what place do you see the fans taking in that?

JKW: Fan enthusiasm certainly plays a part in publishers and others being willing to invest the money required to develop and publisher new games, books or other media. On the larger subject of fan created fiction and media I believe that all creators need to realize that if they are lucky enough to have created something that inspires people to want to contribute to it, that they need to be flattered by that rather than threatened by it.

It's my understanding that Smith & Tinker currently holds the license to develop electronic media and products relating to Crimson Skies. Would a low-cost, fairly simple translation of the board game rules (distributed online, for instance, via Steam or X-Box Live! at an affordable price point) fall under this license? If so, is this the sort of product that you might consider worth using the license for?

JKW: I don’t think that S&T would be able to produce that game itself because the company is focused on a different market and built on a different scale, but it is possible that we could license a company to produce such a game should an experienced company present itself.

If you were able to recover the appropriate license to do more Clix or FASA board game projects for Crimson Skies, would this be something that would interest you?

JKW: I loved the Clix game, but it is not the business that S&T is in so I don’t see us being able to bring that back into the market.

What has been your favorite use of the CS franchise? Anything is fair game, here (novels, any of the gaming products, supplements, Ral Partha sculpts), and I'm intentionally leaving the criteria for favorite open to your interpretation. I suppose this is just an invitation to tell us what you love about CS and which products you think best evoke those qualities.

JKW: I love almost everything done with the franchise, but if forced to select favorites I guess that mine would be a tie between the original board game and the first PC game as I feel they did the best jobs of expressing the fiction of the universe.

Do you think there could be a market for a pulpy Crimson Skies adventure movie or small screen endeavor? If so, who would hold the license to have that option?

JKW: I still have hopes of producing a CS movie as I think it would be a blast.

What made you think of Crimson Skies? The setting and universe? There's alot of Alternate Universe material out there, but from everything I've seen, Crimson Skies is extremely unique. It doesn't go overboard sci-fi, but is told and laid out ina way that seems semi-realistic.

JKW: CS is one of my favorite fictional universes because of its unique tone and the wonderful period that it is set within, so I do think that the universe and characters are what really helped the game set itself out from pack.

Regarding your original design concepts, what inspired you to take the path of parasitic aircraft? Which aircraft did you personally come up with? Do you have a favourite airframe / and why?

JKW: All the original aircraft designs were based research I had done on experimental aircraft from between the wars and during WWII. Dave McCoy and Lex Story took that research and sketches to make the wonderful aircraft that appears in the boardgame and original PC game.

Is there any possibility to get access or a glimpse of old and never released (official) Crimson Skies FASA material? Maybe even just drafts, ideas or thoughts? Like the announced, but never published "Zeppelins and Bombers" book by L. Ross, III Babcock?

JKW: I don’t know where any of that might be, but if I ever find it I don’t see why it couldn’t be published as a PDF.

As a fan-site, generating new content like houserules, maps or stories, is a big part of what keeps the community alive and interested in the Crimson Skies franchise. On the other hand there is the risk of unintentional damaging the owner by copyright violations. What is your standing on this topic regarding Crimson Skies? How can we check for any violations before we put a lot of time, effort and sometimes even money in our creations?

JKW: As mentioned previously I think fan created content is wonderful and important for keeping fans involved in a property and as long as the fan creators always recognize the copyright owners of the material there shouldn’t be any problems.

Just curious about a rumor: Is it true, that at some time Steven Spielberg showed interest in making a movie based on the Crimson Skies world?

JKW: Yes Steven was a big fan of the PC game and he and I spent a lot of hours talking about movie plots for Crimson Skies, but alas it did not come to pass.

What other games are you currently working on? What comes after the very innovative Arcane Legions?

JKW: Right now I am mostly working on Nanovor, but there are a couple of things rattling around in my head, so you never know when one will pop-out.

Do you know the actors/models who were used in the photographs for the FASA set? Were the actors regular models? Walkins to wherever FASA is, fans,etc.? If that data can be released legally that is.

JKW: The photos in the original FASA boardgame were a combination of professionals and friends and friends of friends. Robert Fagan who was the producer on the photos along with my wife Dawne who was the creative director for the shoots did an amazing job of producing amazing looking shots for very little money. Dave McCoy and Vic Bonilla then did an amazing job of merging the photos with the digital aircraft.

Is there any hope that there will be any future releases? Especially tabletop games?

JKW: Those rights are now with Wizkids/Neca and I do not know what their plans (if any) are for the property.

Regarding Smith&Tinker. Was it your idea to form it? Going from sorta...groundup, was there anything made you say "Hey, let's start up a company and do this"?

JKW: The concept behind S&T was to create one compelling game experience that spans the online part of kids life and the face to face with friends part of kids life into one cohesive play experience. In other words, what they do with their friends enhances what they do online, and what they online enhances what they do with their friends.

Wild Weasel
PostsCOLON 6
JoinedCOLON Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:25 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Pueblo, in the nation of Free Colorado.

Postby Wild Weasel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:07 pm

Thanks. That was very interesting. I always like hearing from creators, especially if they really like the product themselves, rather than considering it having been "just a job."

Personally, I fell in love with the PC game and would give my left...aileron ;) to see a sequel come out with much of the same gameplay mechanics, characters, etc. I haven't had a chance to try the XBOX version.

Since getting the PC game I've picked up most of any other CS materials out there with the exception of most of the metal miniatures.

Just a bit of trivia based on one of the posted questions on the actors/models used in the various CS materials (if anyone is interested). I believe I have recognized one person (at least so far).

In the Fox TV show "Prison Break" during the 1st and perhaps 2nd season I recognized one of the prison guards, the second in command guard I believe (subordinate to the Brad Bellick character) looks to be the same actor who was used in the photos as Jack Mulligan, Nathan Zachary's wingman. However, a different voice actor was used for Jack's dialogue as it was nowhere near the actor's real voice.

Check Six!
Wild Weasel

Sir Robin
PostsCOLON 163
JoinedCOLON Wed May 20, 2009 4:02 pm
LocationCOLON Counciltucky

Postby Sir Robin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:11 pm

The PC game was far better, in my opinion, than the XBox one.

I would love to see a Crimson Skies 2 or even just an update of the original for newer systems. The game still seems timeless to me.
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot,
who nearly faced the fierce dragon of Angnor,
who almost stood up to the vicious chicken of Bristol,
and who personally wet himself at the Battle for Badon Hill.

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913

Postby Grant » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:43 am

What they need, is release the code to Crimson Skies so additional planes, skins and nose art can be included....

I personally think if they did that, popularity would jump again.

Interesting about Mulligan. Now to find someone else :D

Sir Robin
PostsCOLON 163
JoinedCOLON Wed May 20, 2009 4:02 pm
LocationCOLON Counciltucky

Postby Sir Robin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:00 am

Memory is fuzzy but I think we didn't get any expansions or sequels because of a falling out with Zipper Interactive or something along those lines. I seem to recall that it was Zipper being blamed.
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot,
who nearly faced the fierce dragon of Angnor,
who almost stood up to the vicious chicken of Bristol,
and who personally wet himself at the Battle for Badon Hill.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:22 am

That sounds familiar Robin. That and MS pushing their xBox only stance.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Return to