Jordan Weisman Q&A interview submission(11th-20th)

Welland Ontario, Neutral meeting ground for all pilots. Troublemakers will be shot. (General CS discussion).
Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Jordan Weisman Q&A interview submission(11th-20th)

Postby Grant » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:42 pm

Hello out there to all Crimson Skies players! I hope y'all have enjoyed what's been up so far in the past week, alot of stuff's been up.

Hopefully we can keep the ball rolling!

Well today's the big day, Jordan Wiesman is coming in to do an interview with everyone. Well, not quite an interview, but you get the picture ;)

Everyone should know him, but to any newbies out there, he is the creator of Crimson Skies, a founder of FASA corporation, and was involved in basically all the games FASA produced to some extant.

We all appreciate Mister Weisman taking some time out of his scheduale and doing this with us, however I am sure he would like the ring-kissing and bowing to a minimum (Naming one's children after him however is still allowed)

There are a few simple guidelines I wish everyone to follow. Scratch that, there are a few guidlines you WILL follow, enforcement of them will be done.

#1. This thread is NOT OPEN for questioning until AFTER Mister Weisman posts and says so. Any posts made prior will be deleted.

#2. Please keep the posts respectful, no swearing, vulgarity will be tolerated. Likewise do not post solely to rant about any dis-agreement or unhappiness about something.

#3. NO inter-forum discussion is allowed on this post. You can make comments below your question, for everyone to read, however commentary between each other is not allowed. This is to cut down on the posts, and allow easier reading.

#4. All posts must follow a certain guideline:
A. Your question in each post MUST be at the top of the post.
B. You are allowed multiple posts (If you think of another question), however spamming with questions is not allowed (For example. if you have ten questions, do NOT make 10 posts. Simply label in one post #1, #2,etc.etc.).
C. All questions must pertain to the topic. Questions SHOULD be about Crimson Skies, but we will allow those about the former FASA franchaise in general, Smith&Tinker in general, and Mister Weisman's take/opinion on some gaming, and/or how other FASA projects worked,etc.
D. You CAN comment on the end of your message WELL below and distinctly diffferant from your question(s), however discussion is forbidden between posters.

#5. Mister Weisman will retain the privelege of NOT ANSWERING a question. Should a question edge towards privacy matters, upcoming development he cannot talk about,etc.etc. Or anything he doesn't want to talk about, he does not have to comment. Although he knows this, I am putting this out for all of you to read.

In respect to the above question, I would appreciate some tact in what is asked. Nothin in-appropriate or overtly personal should be asked. Should a question veer to close to that edge, Mister Weisman can contact me and get the matter worked out.

If you have any questions about these rules/guidelines please Private Message me.

Thank you!

Grant, Montana Raiders Administrator.

JordanWeisman
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:37 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Re: Jordan Weisman Q&A interview submission

Postby JordanWeisman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Hello all,

Thanks for remaining interested in Crimson Skies, which is a property that I personally care a great deal about. Crimson is a world of adventure where the planes are faster, the guns are bigger, and the women beautiful but deadly. I am sad that little has been done with the property for several years, but hopefully we can find a way to bring it back in some form. I happy to answer some questions about Crimson Skies, but please be warned that my schedule will allow me to answer only a selection of them so please do not be disappointed if I don’t get to your question. Ok let’m fly!

Best,

Jordan Weisman

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Postby Jerba » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Mr. Weisman,

On the Smith & Tinker website it states: "We believe that given a compelling creative intellectual property to operate within: There is nothing on the planet more entertaining than other people & There is no one on the planet more creative than the audience."

As you may know, many of us on this forum are invlolved in a number of Crimson Skies fan generated initiatives (radio dramas, fan fiction, cgi, etc). In the age of the internet it seems licensed properties, whether Crimson Skies, Star Wars, etc., are increasingly being driven by creative fans. Do you see a future for fan driven franchises? Will it change the traditional model of licensing? What help can the fans be in relaunching an official Crimson Skies license and other than customers what place do you see the fans taking in that?

We obviously want to know when you'll bring back Crimson Skies, but I'm wondering what you think of our efforts to continue the story and if that will help you do so.

Thank you for spending some time with us! It is very generous, especially this time of year when you have such a successful line of toys! Congratulations and best wishes on the Nanover line.

Kaffis
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 am

Postby Kaffis » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:50 pm

Welcome to this community, Mr. Weisman, and thanks for sharing some of your time with us fans.

1.) It's my understanding that Smith & Tinker currently holds the license to develop electronic media and products relating to Crimson Skies. Would a low-cost, fairly simple translation of the board game rules (distributed online, for instance, via Steam or X-Box Live! at an affordable price point) fall under this license? If so, is this the sort of product that you might consider worth using the license for?

2.) If you were able to recover the appropriate license to do more Clix or FASA boardgame projects for Crimson Skies, would this be something that would interest you?

3.) What has been your favorite use of the CS franchise? Anything is fair game, here (novels, any of the gaming products, supplements, Ral Partha sculpts), and I'm intentionally leaving the criteria for favorite open to your interpretation. I suppose this is just an invitation to tell us what you love about CS and which products you think best evoke those qualities.

4.) Do you think there could be a market for a pulpy Crimson Skies adventure movie or small screen endeavor? If so, who would hold the license to have that option?

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Jordan Weisman Q&A interview submission(11th-20th)

Postby Grant » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Welcome Mister Weisman. As Administrator, I wanted to thank you again for coming and doing this interview.

Also, I want to clarify to everyone (In case they forgot. I just updated the title) that the submission period will run for 9 more days!

#1. I have to ask. What made you think of Crimson Skies? The setting and universe? There's alot of Alternate Universe material out there, but from everything I've seen, Crimson Skies is extremely unique. It doesn't go overboard sci-fi, but is told and laid out ina way that seems semi-realistic.

#2 can be grouped with Kaffis' #3 question. What's your favorite part about Crimson Skies? The 23-nation North America, the aircraft. The backstory behind it all, the Miniatures or sourcebooks,etc.etc.

I have a couple of more questions, but I am going to wait until others have put forth some questions first, and make sure I don't duplicate them.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:53 am

Greetings! I too have some questions. (of course!)

1. The Crimson Skies novels and fiction. Most of those stories are long out of print or were not printed in English. Is there any hope of seeing those available again?

2. Is there any hope of seeing new Crimson Skies novels?

3. Jerba brought up the "Fan Driven Franchise". Games Workshop did something of that nature in the past with their "Blood Bowl" game, organizing fans into a rules creation and review committee (The BBRC) and it seems to have helped to push product growth and marketing. Could something of that nature happen with the tabletop Crimson Skies game?

4. :D Can we hope to see a new generation video game of Crimson Skies for PC?

Thank you sir for your time!
Flying the Crimson Skies

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:21 am

WOW! This is a great privilege to be able to speak with the creator of a game that I [personally] have devoted much of my time and artistic talent in paying homage to.

And while I respectfully repeat all of my fellow forum members questions [with baited breath] I find myself wanting to know more about your original design concepts.
So my questions to you sir is thus:
1) What inspired you to take the path of parasitic aircraft?
2) Which aircraft did you personally come up with?
3) Do you have a favourite airframe / and why?

And other than testing, have you ever actually played your creation with a group of friends, do you still play?

FF5_StrokerAce
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:26 pm

Postby FF5_StrokerAce » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi, thanks for this great and unique opportunity! These are the collected questions from "Fox Force Five", a german Crimson Skies fan community:

#1 (of course the big question) What are the near and future plans for the Crimson Skies franchise? :D

#2 Is there any possibility to get access or a glimpse of old and never released (official) Crimson Skies FASA material? Maybe even just drafts, ideas or thoughts? Like the announced, but never published "Zeppelins and Bombers" book by L. Ross, III Babcock?

#3 As a fan-site, generating new content like houserules, maps or stories, is a big part of what keeps the community alive and interested in the Crimson Skies franchise. On the other hand there is the risk of unintentional damaging the owner by copyright violations. What is your standing on this topic regarding Crimson Skies? How can we check for any violations before we put a lot of time, efford and sometimes even money in our creations?

#4 Just curious about a rumor: Is it true, that at some time Steven Spielberg showed intereset in making a movie based on the Crimson Skies world?

#5 What other games are you currently working on? What comes after the very innovative Arcane Legions?

#6 Is it true that Mechwarrior 4 will soon be released as a free download at Smith&Tinker?

All of Fox Force Five members wish you the best for your current and future creations and a happy Christmas to you, your family, friends and the Smith&Tinker Team!
Special thanks from me for signing a copy of “Wings over Manhattan” at the games fair Spiel’09 in Essen, Germany ;)

Clear skies!
Thanks and regards,
Andreas "Stroker Ace"
check us out at http://www.foxforcefive.de/cs
Last edited by 1 on FF5_StrokerAce, edited 0 times in total.

parriah
PostsCOLON 102
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:56 pm
LocationCOLON Appalicia, but my heart's in Dixie!

Postby parriah » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:23 pm

Grant, please re submit mine? THANX!

And, Jordan, Thank you for one of my 2 most favorite obsessions. CS and Star Frontiers.
Quantity has a quality of its own!
FIAWOL!!
Br549
TANSTAAFL!

parriah
PostsCOLON 102
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:56 pm
LocationCOLON Appalicia, but my heart's in Dixie!

Postby parriah » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:04 pm

Also, is there any way to get permission for the authors of the wings of justice and wings of fortune to be able to let us have accvess to the books(novels) that were never released in english?
Quantity has a quality of its own!
FIAWOL!!
Br549
TANSTAAFL!

Return to