Phoenix Con 2018 feat. Crimson Skies

Welland Ontario, Neutral meeting ground for all pilots. Troublemakers will be shot. (General CS discussion).
[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 111
JoinedCOLON Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:46 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON German Kaiserreich

Phoenix Con 2018 feat. Crimson Skies

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:00 am

Hey everybody,

yet again, the upcoming Phoenix Con will be featuring Crimson Skies!

Date: November 2018, Thursday 1st (4 p.m.) till Sunday 4th (around noon)

What's on the agenda?
- Battletech: chapter fights, construction tournament, FFA4drinks, fun tournaments.
- Crimson Skies: tutorials, dogfights and scenarios on demand.
- lots of other card- and boardgames for all ages.
- a friendly, familiar atmosphere that's welcoming to new gamers.

Due to a friend's wedding :) I will only be able to attend the Phoenix Con on Thursday and Friday :(, so if you want to play Crimson Skies :), make sure you arrive early :!:

The link for reservations on the homepage is not yet working, I'll give a heads-up when it finally does...

The following information is the same as last year, so you may skip it if you remember my post from 2017 ;)

Here's the link for the (German) homepage:
http://con.phoenixguard.de/party/

Check out the facebook-page (also German):
https://www.facebook.com/phoenixcon

Most important infos:
- 35€ Thur-Sun / 30€ Fri-Sun / 20€ Sat-Sun, this includes free tea, coffee & accommodation for the whole weekend! Save 5€ on the Thur-Sun fee when paying in advance!
- accommodation in a separate building in 2- to 3-bed rooms
- several large rooms for playing
- family friendly, lots of games for spouses and kids who are not into Battletech
- parking space across the road
- local train station "Walkenried" 12 car-minutes away
- bus stop "Hohegeiß Hindenburgstraße" across the road
- fair prices for food and drink

Advance reservation recommended as capacity is limited!
(PM me for this and advance payment info, there's no such option on the website atm)
Feel free to ask me anything about the event :)
Many happy landings!

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 111

Re: Phoenix Con 2018 feat. Crimson Skies

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:45 am

Well, here it is:
https://www.con.phoenixguard.de/registration_xviii/

Only in German, so if you need help (bc Google Translate leaves something unclear), feel free to contact me!
Many happy landings!

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 111

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Hey everybody,

the Phoenix Con again saw some (limited) Crimson Skies action! (as announced).

I'll reread the flight logs and post them here in a couple of days!

Stay vigilant,
Bandit
Many happy landings!

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 111

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:43 am

Darnit, "couple o' days", my a** :(
Holiday season sure is a crazy time of year.
But I'm back in the daily grind now, so I should be able to get that flight report finished soon!

Watch your sixes,
Bandit
Many happy landings!

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 111

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:15 pm

Overview

Our annual Battletech convention "Phoenix Con" in northern Germany again saw some formidable air action. Although my time at the convention was severely limited, we managed to get three skirmishes off the ground.

The picture below shows the Crimson Skies gaming table I prepared to attract (new) pilots. :)

Main Flight Book

Two new recruits approached me and after explaining the basic rules we started the 1st skirmish. One of them picked the Avenger and Brigand, the other the Firebrand and the Bloodhawk. I chose the Raven and - my favourite - the Fury.

We neither used rockets nor Special Characteristics for their first sortie, but we flew on the Seaport map, to have at least some restraints on flight paths.

For visual aid I placed some tower miniatures on the red dot obstacles where the cranes and radio towers are printed. Also notice the tokens on the map edges where the hillside obstacles are located. The picture was taken right after the first turn.

Early on my Raven took a hefty beating to its leading port wing, whereas the Fury caught a lot of magnesium rounds to its nose. No big deal, as my opponents failed to take advantage of the trailing smoke.

Left picture: during movement resolution, turn 4. Right pictures: after weapon's fire, same turn. Luckily, no collision occured.

Unfortunately, the second player wasn't able to complete the game due to other responsibilites, and left between turns 6 and 7. His Bloodhawk got away clean, while the Firebrand suffered some internal damage before disengaging.

Due to a well-placed magnesium round it was obvious that the Brigand of my remaining opponent would be out of the fight in turn 6. My Raven was a little tougher here: only a nearly completely obliterated wing sent it spiralling in turn 12.

Avenger and Fury continued their dogfight and finally duked it out in turn 23 in a classic heads-on showdown. Thanks to some solid shooting, the Avenger scored an Engine Destroyed hit on the Fury. Although the Avenger also got shot up badly, it was still airworthy and headed home afterwards for a complete overhaul with an impressive amount of experience points!

The 2nd flight was against a veteran pilot, therefore we used rockets and random planes. He got a Hellhound (Defender mini) and a Devastator, while I rolled a Monitor (Brigand mini) and a Cutlass (Fury mini).

Naturally, the shooting started with a lot of Sonics and Flares.

Being the slow armor hog that it is, my Monitor received the anticipated punishment; but taking it almost exclusively to the nose was most inauspicious. My opponent probably would have nailed both my planes, were it not for a disastrous navigating error of his Devastator pilot, which crash-landed him in one of the crane obstacles on turn 3.
Nevertheless, the remaining Hellhound was able to shoot another full barrage at the Monitor's nose and landed a high-explosive rocket right in the center of the heavy plane, thus destroying its engines and forcing the pilot to eject.

Of course the Hellhound suffered a lot from the return fire but pushed on nevertheless for two more turns. The record sheets don't show a clear reason as to why the fight stopped after turn 14, but with the state the Focke-Wulff craft was in, I assume that it disengaged. At least, my Cutlass was still in good shape.

The 3rd and final flight was against another veteran pilot, thus using rockets but still no Special Characteristics. No pictures were taken of this combat, but see the record sheets further down. When rolling random planes my opponent was quite lucky and got a Peacemaker and a Coyote, while I was stuck with a Defender and a Kestrel.

The first plane to go down was my Kestrel. The combined power of four .60s, two .70s and four .40s will do that quickly. For my heavy fighter it was turn 3. Naturally, the pilot didn't survive the crash.
Without its bad Special Characteristics my Defender actually managed to survive until turn 6. But its weak wing armor led to the wing tip being shot off and netting the Coyote pilot his second kill.

Here are my planes in their final states:

And here are my opponent's planes (note that I did at least some damage to the Coyote :))

Conclusion

It was really nice to take to the skies again, recruiting new pilots and flying skirmishes against some of the veterans.
True, we didn't get around trying out any of the scenarios I prepared; but on the other hand, with the limited time I had, playing three skirmishes was awesome!
Also, we did write down XPs this time, so that everyone may use their pilots next time we play, be it at one of the regular Battletech meetings or at the Phoenix Con 2019!

Outlook

As already implied, I'll be offering to play Crimson Skies at this year's convention yet again. Maybe that time around we can use our 3D board for a skirmish or two...

P.S.

This review was also posted on Boardgamegeek.com
Go and check it out here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30935208 and maybe give it a thumb! :)

It is also availabel in German here: http://www.skrupel-sorcerer.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=769
Many happy landings!

Return to