Crimson Skies bord game as online game

Welland Ontario, Neutral meeting ground for all pilots. Troublemakers will be shot. (General CS discussion).
refund
PostsCOLON 34
JoinedCOLON Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:49 am

Crimson Skies bord game as online game

Postby refund » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Hi,

I've been away for *cough* a while, but never mind that.

I've been toying with the idea to create a browser version of the Crimson Skies board game. First edition would try to get the basic hex-grid based game and rules implemented with maybe a very basic AI (and definitely no multilayer options yet).

If I tried to program this, would there be any interest in such a browser game?

(I'm aware that this would be a very slippery slope project with regards to copyrights etc, so it would probably be accessible by invitation only)

Cheers,
Refund

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Crimson Skies bord game as online game

Postby Thom » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:11 am

There was a VASSAL online dueling module for Crimson Skies floating around a while. I think it was done by someone calling himself -Azrael.

I recall downloading it, but never finding anyone to play.

http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php does not list an official module, but it shouldn't be too hard to make one.

There was a Yahoo Group doing PBEM I don't know if they are still active or not. And I think someone on this forum was trying to launch a PBEM a few years ago, I don't know how that went.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:35 am

Flying the Crimson Skies

refund
PostsCOLON 34

Postby refund » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:37 am

Thanks for the reply. If there is enough interest, I may work on the vassal module instead of building it from scratch, otherwise I can at least borrow from it, as I still feel that an browser based edition is more accessible.

~refund

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Good luck! I would love to have a way to play CS when the mood strikes!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Rocket
PostsCOLON 15
JoinedCOLON Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:30 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Baltimore, Columbia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Rocket » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:12 am

I've always thought it'd be neat to do a browser game of Crimson Skies that works a bit like SteamBirds. I'd be happy to help out with graphics for it, if a browser game happens. :-)

Kaffis
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 am

Postby Kaffis » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Rocket wroteColonI've always thought it'd be neat to do a browser game of Crimson Skies that works a bit like SteamBirds.

But there's already SteamBirds. Crimson Skies without hexes is just.. bland. :) Might as well play Wings of War or SteamBirds.

I miss the PBEM group we had going. Vassal would be okay, I guess, but I really appreciated the asynchronicity of the PBEM group. No need to wrangle schedules and block out time.

What I'd love, from somebody with web-based coding skills, would be an online tool to facilitate tracking the PBEM type play. PBEM worked well, but requires a lot of work and manual editing, paperwork, and uploading from whomever is gamemastering it. If that manual work could be replaced by a system in which players submit moves asynchronously, and then can check the (automatically updated) game state once everybody's submitted, that'd be amazing.

refund
PostsCOLON 34

Postby refund » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:47 pm

Kaffis wroteColonWhat I'd love, from somebody with web-based coding skills, would be an online tool to facilitate tracking the PBEM type play. PBEM worked well, but requires a lot of work and manual editing, paperwork, and uploading from whomever is gamemastering it. If that manual work could be replaced by a system in which players submit moves asynchronously, and then can check the (automatically updated) game state once everybody's submitted, that'd be amazing.

This is actually not a bad idea, in fact, in quite like it!
It would be less involved to produce than it would be to code a whole game. At the same time it would be a very nice base for future development in case I may still feel motivated to expand it.

Could you give me a basic step-by-step list of the minimal needed functionality?

Cheers,
refund

Kaffis
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 am

Postby Kaffis » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:10 pm

refund wroteColonCould you give me a basic step-by-step list of the minimal needed functionality?

Minimally, you'd need to track the location and facing of multiple planes on the back-end, and display it on a hex grid, with the ability to update locations and facings of the planes. You'd need to have some kind of submission form that allowed a user to specify a plane and submit a coded movement order (3L2F, for instance), and update the specified plane's location in the backend data accordingly. Finally, you'd need to be able to display (and track) damage grids for each plane, and allow users to fill in boxes, and have those damaged boxes be retained on the back-end, as well.

This would be enough for players to either work on an honor system or allow a gamemaster to centralize all the rolling, which would still be a good first step in reducing the record-keeping, I imagine.

The next set of features I'd suggest would be to start putting in plane stats, so you can run checks against the input maneuvers to determine whether they're pushing (and make the appropriate rolls), track damage effects (like reduced G tolerances or damaged weapons), create a second form for shooting orders in which users designate a target (which the system verifies is in range/in line of fire) and, if Steady Hand is high enough, a target column location to move damage towards. The system could then automate the damage process, rolling to-hit taking into account pilot stats and target plane size, and then rolling damage location and columns to apply the appropriate caliber damage templates to the target plane. Ideally, you'd come up with a logging format to log all the rolls so people can see why something didn't happen as expected ("Oh, I failed the push roll, and underwent random movement like this...").

Finally, basic user tracking and permissions would round out the tool set. Username/password logins that would then assign permissions to each plane. Giving permissions to multiple users might be handy, particularly if you can time-gate them. If the game has an agreed upon schedule, you could give the owner of the plane permissions to submit orders all the time, and then give his teammates permission to submit substitute orders if the owner's orders aren't in after X amount of time. And then give the game-master permissions to all planes.

That would be a pretty amazing toolset if you got all those features down. Depending on your webspace situation, I could see you setting that up as something you host yourself that can track multiple games (the users feature becomes much more important in this scenario), otherwise you could distribute the code for other people to run their own games on webspace they control.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:05 am

Years back there was a PBEM program called "Electronic Cardboard" designed for turn based wargames, it, and a plethora of other PBEM wargame tools can be found at >>Grognard.com<< (Be sure to check out the home page there!)

I agree that the hardest part is getting two people online at the same time, so logically, since it is a turn based game, players should be able to move when they can and check in to see if others have moved. PBEM or a website hosting a private turn based game room would be pure awesome!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Return to