Phoenix Con 2019 feat. Crimsons Skies

Welland Ontario, Neutral meeting ground for all pilots. Troublemakers will be shot. (General CS discussion).
[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 112
JoinedCOLON Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:46 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON German Kaiserreich

Phoenix Con 2019 feat. Crimsons Skies

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:23 am

Hey everybody,

the upcoming Phoenix Con will again be featuring Crimson Skies!

Date: 31st October - 3rd November 2019

What's on the agenda?
- Battletech: chapter fights, construction tournament, FFA4drinks, fun tournaments and more.
- Crimson Skies: tutorials, dogfights and scenarios on demand.
- lots of other card- and boardgames for all ages.
- a friendly, familiar atmosphere that's welcoming to new gamers.

This year I should be there for the whole weekend, so I'll be offering to play Crimson Skies from Thursday till Sunday!

Here's the link for the (German) homepage:
http://con.phoenixguard.de/party/

Check out the facebook-page (also German):
https://www.facebook.com/phoenixcon

Most important infos:
- 70€ Thur-Sun / 60€ Fri-Sun / 30€ Sat-Sun, this includes free tea, coffee & accommodation for the whole weekend!
- save 10€ on the first two options when paying in advance!
- if we get enough bookings, receive a food voucher if you paid in advance
- accommodation in a separate building in 2- to 3-bed rooms
- several large rooms for playing
- family friendly, lots of games for spouses and kids who are not into Battletech
- parking space across the road
- local train station "Walkenried" 12 car-minutes away
- bus stop "Hohegeiß Hindenburgstraße" across the road
- fair prices for food and drink

Advance reservation recommended as capacity is limited!

Feel free to ask me anything about the event :)
Many happy landings!

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 112

Re: Phoenix Con 2019 feat. Crimsons Skies

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:50 am

Hey fellow fliers,

the Phoenix Con is now just a few hours away.
I'll make sure to be taking pictures of every sortie this time!
Wish me luck and that I can get some new recruits hooked on CS :)
Many happy landings!

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 112

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:43 am

Preface

This flight report was first published on Boardgamegeek here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2323524/crimson-skies-phoenix-con-2019

I will also post it in German on BGG!

Overview

The Phoenix Con was home to a few Crimson Skies skirmishes again this year. Altogether I played four times, with a happy mix of new recruits and long-serving veterans.

This time I set up my custom map "Bedloe's Island" aka "Liberty Island" which has all but one red dot obstacle: the Lady Liberty herself.

In all of the skirmishes we used quickstart crews, i.e. pilot and wingman have fixed skills levels, you just need to assign those to the six skills.
Also, we ignored Special Characteristics to make it easier for the new recruits. But we did use almost all rocket types, we even tried drill rockets and the beeper/seeker set, which are usually shunned by us.

Main Flight Book

The 1st skirmish was against one of our veterans who tries to shoot me down each year. We randomly rolled for planes and he got a Hammer Fist (Coyote mini) and a Nemesis (Fury mini) , while I got a good old Kestrel and an M112 (Bloodhawk mini) .

On turn 7 the Hammer Fist and the M112 luckily didn't collide, but the Nemesis took advantage of the situation and landed a few precise hits on the M112's right wing from behind. One magnesium round was bound to burn into the wing tank the following turn, so the pilot bailed during movement to fight another day...

But the Kestrel fought back hard and damaged the Hammer Fist for good destroying all of its weapons. After having expended all its rockets, the Hammer Fist retreated from the battlefield on turn 10.

The Nemesis and the Kestrel kept circling each other and finally it came to a heads-on showdown. The Kestrel pilot had a higher Quickdraw and started blazing away, but the results were abysmal, despite a high Dead Eye skill. The Nemesis' right wing was not looking good afterwards, but still airworthy - naturally it started shooting back.
The Kestrel had of course suffered before, and maybe it might have survived the return fire, but one of the magnesium rounds found its mark and hit the right wing tank. The resulting fireball consumed the unlucky pilot while the Nemesis landed safely.

Kudos to my opponent for downing both my planes this year. But I'll have my revenge! ;)

---

In the 2nd fight we were three participants duking it out in a free-for-all: a somewhat experienced pilot, a new cadet and me.
Our new cadet chose a Brigand and an Avenger, while the other pilot grabbed a Vampire and a Devastator. I chose a Coyote and a Defender.

We each started on our own map edge, thus giving the new recruit a few turns to get a feeling for the maneuver template. Nevertheless we quickly converged around the Lady Liberty, launching flare, sonic and flak rockets like crazy.
Going toe-to-toe with a Vampire is never a good idea, but it happened to the Coyote on turn 8. The Vampire suffered quite some damage losing two of its .40s, but thick as its armor is, it generously returned fire. Sporting about half the armor, the Coyote's wing was sheared off, sending its pilot to an untimely death.

The Devastator pilot met the same fate on turn 13 when also the left wing was shot off by the Brigand's turret gunner!

Right on the next turn the Vampire pilot crashed into the Statue of Liberty! Needless to say that plane and pilot plummeted to the ground without any chance of survival (we didn't roll for damage).

Next turn, next casualty: on turn 15 the Defender sheared off the Avenger's left wing. Yes, this is the third left wing to be destroyed this skirmish! The pilot of the Avenger did not make it...

The two remaining planes ended up facing each other on the next turn. The Brigand's right wing wasn't looking too good, but it held and the barrage of its .50s cut deep into the Defender's fuselage destroying its engine and forcing the pilot to bail.
With two kills - one for the pilot, one for the gunner - the Brigand safely returned home.

Five out of six planes destroyed and four pilots dead is harsh, but rookies rarely make it ouf the cockpit...

---

The 3rd flight was a training flight for another new recruit who had watched the previous skirmish with great interest. Thus he knew some of the basics already and setting up was done quickly.
He picked a Kestrel and a Peacemaker while I chose a Firebrand and a Bloodhawk.

The record sheet of Kestrel and Peacemaker were erased after the fight so I can't say for sure when and how the Peacemaker was shot down by the Firebrand, but it was definitely before turn 10. In any case we know that the pilot did a successful bail.

The pilot of the Firebrand didn't even get the chance to bail, as the Kestrel's fire bit deeply into the fuselage, severely wounding the pilot and reducing his constitution below 0. Ouch!

From here on out the Bloodhawk tried his best to circle and tail the Kestrel, but by misjudging the intended maneuver in a critical moment, the Bloodhawk overshot its prey and the Kestrel was able to double down on the smaller plane's tail. It didn't take many hits to breach the weak armor and destroy the unfortunate bird's engine. While the Bloodhawk's pilot ejected to safety, the Kestrel returned home unfazed with two kill markers to be painted on its fuselage.

Congratulations to the new pilot for blazing through this trial by fire!

---

The 4th sortie took off on the last day of the convention and thus we were not able to completely finish it.
A total of four players participated forming two teams: the new cadet from the 3rd flight was joined by another veteran who hadn't played until now, while the veteran from the first skirmish helped me against the opposition.
Our opponents chose Kestrel + Peacemaker and Fury + Raven while we rolled for random planes. My teammate got a Warhawk (Firebrand mini) + Cloud Raider (Bloodhawk mini), while I got a Monitor (Brigand mini) and an Ocelot (Avenger mini).

Teams started on the far edges of the map and both used the long distance maneuvering for advantageous positions. Shock rockets saw their fair share but flak rockets followed suit, directing enemy planes into firing lanes.

As Raven and Fury made a bold push into our map half, we swerved over to the left to greet them with a staccato from our machine guns. Only our Firebrand held back to try and tail one of the laggards (Kestrel and Peacemaker).

On turn 5 Raven and Ocelot collided. The former was lucky and got away with medium damage that was barely interal, but the Ocelot took most of the damage to the nose ultimately destroying its engine. The pilot died from the subsequent crash.

Without further casualties we had to end the fight after turn 7, but here's an outlook:
Our opponent's Fury was heavily damaged, Raven and Kestrel had suffered medium damage while the Peacemaker was only slightly damaged.

Our own flight was missing its Ocelot while the Monitor was doomed to break apart after turn 11 due to magnesium burning through its fuselage. The Cloud Raider had also suffered heavy damage being only able to perform S and R maneuvers. The Warhawk's damage looks worse than it actually is: it is quite deep, but it still retains all its guns; and its maneuverability wasn't exactly good to begin with.

Nevertheless, our opponents would probably have taken us, especially if they had waited for the Monitor to go down...

---

Conclusion

A total of 22 planes took off this weekend, with half of these not returning home and seven unfortunate pilots being killed. But some of the others showed real promise and might just become the next aces flying the Crimson Skies!

Outlook

I'll certainly be offering to play Crimson Skies at next year's convention again, but hopefully we can fly a few more skirmishes in and around Braunschweig before that.

P.S.

Feel free to comment, especially formatting/style: too little text? pictures too large? too few pictures? tell me! :)
Many happy landings!

FantomPencil
PostsCOLON 17
JoinedCOLON Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:58 am
LocationCOLON Worthing, UK

Postby FantomPencil » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:15 pm

Nice write-up. Sounds like a lot of fun..!
Two questions:
1) Where did you source the image of the island for the map? I'd like to put together something similar, if you don't have any objections, and...
2) I get that the cotton wool is for Smoke, but what do the coloured elastic bands on top of the aircraft signify?

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 112

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi FantomPencil,

yes, it was great to fly again :)

The island picture is derived from a free 3D model from the Sketchup warehouse.
You can of course use the map file as a basis for your own design.
I uploaded the map in .svg format to the file section of Crimson Skies on Boardgamegeek.

The elastic bands indicate that the pilot is shocked; reminding player and opponents at a glance that this plane may only perform S maneuvers during the next turn.
Many happy landings!

Return to