Phoenix Con 16 featuring Crimson Skies

Welland Ontario, Neutral meeting ground for all pilots. Troublemakers will be shot. (General CS discussion).
[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 82
JoinedCOLON Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:46 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON German Kaiserreich

Phoenix Con 16 featuring Crimson Skies

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:25 am

Hey everybody,

I'm happy to announce that the upcoming Battletech convention "Phoenix Con" (from October 27th till 30th) will be featuring Crimson Skies again!

- Like last year it will take place in Hohegeiß in the Harz (mountain range in northern Germany).
- I'll be there all four days, so we can play whenever we want.
- Introductory sorties for rookies and full-fledged squadron fights available!

More info on the convention can be found here (everything in German, let me know if you need something translated!):
http://www.phoenixguard.skrupel-sorcerer.de/htm/party.htm

The location has accomodation for all guests and led many Battletech players to bring their spouses and kids too: it's becoming more and more family friendly with a lot of regular boardgames available for those who aren't into tabletops much :)

So if you are willing and not afraid to spend a few nights on the legendary Brocken https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocken then I hope to see you there!
Many happy landings!

Thom
PostsCOLON 1003
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Phoenix Con 16 featuring Crimson Skies

Postby Thom » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:58 am

Sweeet! Wish I could be there, but I am happy to know that someone is still active, be sure to post pics of the event!
Flying the Crimson Skies

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 82

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:18 am

All right guys,

I finally posted the convention report on boardgamegeek.com
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1749066/crimson-skies-phoenix-con-2016

Either check it out there or wait a few more days and read my repost here on montanaraiders.com
Many happy landings!

Thom
PostsCOLON 1003

Postby Thom » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:03 am

Excellent! Thanks for posting!
Flying the Crimson Skies

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 82

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:58 am

All righty guys,

as promised, here's the repost of my flight report.
Images are linked from BGG, so if you head over there and log in, you can view them in full size.

Overview

This year's Battletech convention Phoenix Con 2016 was again home to Crimson Skies. On three of the four days 20 of 22 planes took off, albeit only five of them were shot down, mostly due to the abortion of the big skirmish on Sunday.
As most players were new to the game or hadn't played for quite a while, only standard encounters were carried out, no scenarios. Should a few veterans find their way to next year's Phoenix Con we might actually hold an Air Derby or play a scenario with a mission goal.
I hope it was as much fun for all the other players as it was for me. I'm looking forward offering to play this great FASA-classic again next year!

Main Flight Book

The 1st game was taking place on Friday, against a player who - up to then - had only read the rules, but had not yet found an opportunity to actually fly.
We both chose two planes each from the basic game: he selected a Fury and a Raven, me a Firebrand and a Bloodhawk. We played on the Rural map without obstacles. Rockets were also used, but no Special Characteristics.

My Firebrand harassed the Fury quite a bit, but she returned fire and hit the same column of the right wing several times in a row, bringing down the Firebrand in turn 8.

The Bloodhawk was able to evade the enemy a little longer, but eventually shared the Firebrand's fate when a long-burning magnesium round finally destroyed the right wing.

With only light and medium damage to his planes a raving success for the new player!

The 2nd game occurred on Saturday against someone who had played before, but not for more than a year.
We both rolled random planes: he got a M112 (Bloodhawk mini) and a Ramrod (Firebrand mini), me a Devastator and a Sandhill (Vampire mini).
We played on the City map between the skyscrapers. Rockets were used, but no Special Characteristics.
Another player canceled on short notice, otherwise there would have been a Black Bat (Avenger mini) and a Monitor (Brigand mini) in the mix.

The M112 was the first fighter to go down (turn 5), again by a sheared off right wing.

Its maneuverability already highly limited by damage, the Devastator tried a rather difficult move and crashed into the high-rise with the landing platform in turn 17.

The Sandhill was able to pour a lot of damage onto the Ramrod until turn 23. This destroyed - amongst other things - all four .40 caliber guns; but ultimately the Ramrod remained airworthy and the encounter was ended here.

The 3rd game was also played on Saturday, against another veteran who hadn't been flying for a year or more.
We consulted the random tables and got: a Phantasm (Fury mini) and a Zion (Raven mini) for him, an Aguila (Brigand mini) and a Cutlass (Avenger mini) for me.
We used the River map without obstacles, along with the usual: rockets yes, but no Special Characteristics.

Completely miscalculating my opponents moves, I flew my Aguila directly in front of both his planes in turn 2.
Naturally, he was happy, but luckily for me he didn't land too many hits. Only the magnesium round – which was burning through the Aguila's cockpit for five rounds – was rather debilitating.

When finally the fire ceased burning in the wing spar behind the cockpit, the Aguila was hit by a .50 magnesium round in just that column, causing the wing tank to explode in turn 8.

Subsequently my Cutlass lost a lot of its G-rating and max. speed, but was still able to chase the Phantasm about. Eventually we hit turn 24 and ended the fight.

The 4th game took place on Sunday with a total of four players, divided into two equal teams. The two players from the 1st and the 3rd game were on board, as well as another veteran pilot.
Team 1 rolled a Firebrand (Vampire mini), a Tempest (Devastator mini), a Firestorm (Avenger mini) and an Intrepid (Brigand mini).
Team 2 got a Ramrod (Coyote mini), a Bloodhawk E (Defender mini), a Firebrand and a Scrapper (Bloodhawk mini).
We used the City map with the obstructive skyscrapers again. To keep it simple still no Special Characteristics, but with rockets, of course.
Starting positions were spread over all map borders so the teams had to regroup first. Thus our newest pilot planned some really risky maneuvers on turn 1 which promptly sent both his planes off the map. So we let him redo the movement for this, otherwise it would have been no fun.
First the Scrapper, Tempest, Ramrod and both Firebrands met up, while the other three still circled the central high-rise.

The Intrepid was critically hit by rockets which ruined several guns and also injured the pilot.

When all fighters had engaged in close dogfighting, there finally was the familiar slugfest.

As the Phoenix Con was coming to an end by now, we weren't able to finish the battle and had to abort here after turn 6 (but read on for an assessment of the game state).

4th game aftermath

:arrow: Plane Condition Team 1

The Firebrand was heavily damaged and probably wouldn't have survived the next alpha strike. While the Intrepid was still mostly operational, the injured pilot would have made every shock roll near impossible. Firestorm and Tempest on the other hand were unharmed, only their rockets were mostly gone.

:arrow: Plane Condition Team 2

Team 2's Ramrod was nearly downed as its right wing was held in place by only a few remaining armor boxes. The Bloodhawk E was just slightly damaged, whereas the Firebrand essentially lost all its nose armor. The Scrapper was still brand-new. But Team 2 had also expended nearly all their rockets.

:arrow: Outlook
At this point in time the battle and the planes' conditions were still well balanced between the teams. If the fight had continued it would have been full of suspense and could have gone either way.
Many happy landings!

Thom
PostsCOLON 1003

Postby Thom » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:54 am

Sounds like you had a lot of fun!
Flying the Crimson Skies

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 82

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:02 pm

Yeah, it was awesome :)
It's also nice to see new players get hooked on Crimson Skies!
Many happy landings!

Return to