PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Solicitation: Data Entry

Postby foxmalcolm » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Just to give an example of what I mean
The page on the left is the original scan from the rules, page on the right is the analysed text.
looking at just the text sections there is a lot of artefact misinterpretation [conflicts highlighted, other areas misspelled] here that needs to be manually corrected.
But if we were to look below it to the diagram, we can see that there is a severe trouble in identifying words.
Now the easiest solution here is to just copy and paste the image over the top but do not kid yourself this is just as time consuming!
Still, I haven't looked at this program for awhile and reinstalled it today and upgraded it to the latest version.
To tell the truth I am surprised at how much the program has improved, I expected there to be more conflicts.

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:22 pm

foxmalcolm wroteColonWell rather than odt I was looking at making pdf's of all the books.
I have a number of the books already scanned, I just need to reproduce the layout and type the text so we can have a searchable clean copy and I would be more than willing to trade my services/assistance in this project if someone can send me a scanned copy of Airman's Gazetteer.
Its is the only book I don't have yet cause I am not willing to pay $40 - $50 just to have it sent here.

The ODT is to have a master text file, the plan for the CMR is a professional layout and design pdf.

As to the Airman's Gazetteer, I have a few copies, so I'll see if I can start scanning it for you.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Fair enough but I am still thinking of remaking the books [digitally speaking].
You have seen what I did for Yazhuk with his hellhounds of mexico supplement, yes?
Basically all I did was make three page templates, left, right and special, then I added text and pics, so when this is used with say Adobe InDesign . . . too easy.

Now do you want to stick to the original size layouts, A5 for the core rules, letter for the supplements?
Or do you want to say to hell with it and make our own [like say a big interactive website 1024 x 768]
By this I mean as a long term idea, I am well aware that you want a baseline text format that you can edit later . . .

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:57 pm

And for the record this is not me trying to take over the project and do it all myself!
This is me saying if you are going to take the effort to do a project, may as well go all the way and do it right
After all I am a design perfectionist . . . I can't help myself
:mrgreen:

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Ok as to work load . . I currently have scanned in my computer files [somewhere] :
    The Rules of Combat
    Warriors of the Air
    Aircraft of North America
    & Blake Aviation Security [FASA Supplement not WizKids]
I can provide these by email easy enough
We still need someone to scan :
    Wings Over Manhattan
    Behind the Crimson Veil
    Aircraft Manual
    & Pride of the Rpublic
Now the only question is who wants to type what?
Regardless, I am still wanting to recreate the books as a pdf [even if they are never put online, just emailed to those who ask for them]
But who types what; I am happy to do the books I already have scanned, unless there are objections?
I am also willing to do another supplement say either Behind the Crimson Veil or Pride of the Republic . . . . or maybe even Airman's Gazetteer after it is emailed to me.

Jester
PostsCOLON 57
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:50 am
LocationCOLON Western Australia

Postby Jester » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:19 am

Are there any legal issues to consider here?

Obviously the board game has been out of print for the better part of a decade, so no one is really losing money over it. But is there any chance whoever owns the copyright at the moment might take exception to this?

Actually who does own the copyright at the moment, WizKidz?
4L3C - 4R3E

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:07 pm

http://wizkidsgames.com/ NECA candy ended up with the "ClickyTech" game system, but not the license for MechWarrior or Crimson Skies product lines.(Currently held by Smith & Tinker) NECA now owns the Wizk!ds Clix game system but they currently only produce the HeroClix line with a license for the Marvel Characters. They have launched a new website http://heroclix.com/.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Jester
PostsCOLON 57
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:50 am
LocationCOLON Western Australia

Postby Jester » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:26 am

Thom wroteColonbut not the license for MechWarrior or Crimson Skies product lines.(Currently held by Smith & Tinker)

As I understand it Smith & Tinker has the video game rights, not necessarily the rights to the board game. Though the press release I read might have been worded like that to avoid confusion over the MechWarrior/Battletech lines.
4L3C - 4R3E

Phoenix
PostsCOLON 164
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Postby Phoenix » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:54 pm

I have the complete rulebook set; when I was first getting CS, I got lucky and found the entire supplement set plus a few novels for $40 on eBay. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to create pdfs, and I'm heading to college in a few days, so I won't have a scanner available soon. I could, however, type the rulebooks up and send them to someone as a word document.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
"Is it heavy?" "Yes." "Then it's expensive - put 'em back." -Jurassic Park
With me surprises are rarely unexpected. - Any Pink Panther movie

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:32 am

Like the Coreheim and Mordheim groups, I don't think we are running any legal risk here. The products are no longer in circulation, no money is being lost by the publisher for their product. We aren't making a dime, we are doing this as community service.

__

Fox Malcolm, you are a godsend. We need to coordinate more, especially if you've got a lot of the legwork done already. Do you have the files as OCR, or just image pdfs?

I have Veil in Pdf form (non-ocr) if you are interested.

Now do you want to stick to the original size layouts, A5 for the core rules, letter for the supplements?
Or do you want to say to hell with it and make our own [like say a big interactive website 1024 x 768]
By this I mean as a long term idea, I am well aware that you want a baseline text format that you can edit later . .

The aim is a single "Air Encyclopedia" containing everything you need to play, electronically available to print in dead tree. Ie: PDF. I was going to go for a standard letter size, since this makes printing easier, unless you think the larger Format of the sourcebooks would be better. I didn't mind the manual sizes in the game box, but I have always preffered a single large rulebook to little magazines.

Return to