SteampunkIronRider
PostsCOLON 18
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Orlando, FL
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Solicitation: Data Entry

Postby SteampunkIronRider » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:26 am

Please keep me in the loop on this project. I'd love to help out if I can, but unfortunately my CS boxed set never made it to Florida with me -- it either got thrown out by my ex-wife or left with my ex-girlfriend in Indiana...

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:24 am

I am way too busy to organize this project, who wants to do the ground work?

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 95
JoinedCOLON Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON German Kaiserreich

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:09 pm

Hey Everybody!

How's the status on the CMR project?
If you still need someone to type up the original rules into ODT or .txt I'd be willing to help out.
Any books done already or should I start with The Rules of Air Combat?
Also, is there a file section on this forum somewhere or should any completed or partially completed books be mailed to project lead?
What about the examples in the rule book? Should these be recreated as well, perhaps in .svg to be scalable when the project reaches layouting phase?
Many happy landings!

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:03 pm

Work is still underway albeit slowly [haven't been finding the time for it much lately]
If you would like to help out PM me with your email and I will send you passwords for my storage site where the books are being digitally stored

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:31 pm

The work itself is primarily split into three project goals:

(1. Scan the Books
    (2. Type the Books
    (3. Final edit the books
Now to some this might seem a waste of time . . "why not just type the books outright and add the pictures as needed?"
The reason is quite simple, a lot of people wanting to help with this project don't currently own the books but are happy to type it up [which when ready will make the work proceed that much faster].

Also most of the books have one or more images per page so we are going to have to scan them anyhow if we want to incorporate the images, this takes care of two birds with one stone.
Finally it just needs to be organised formatted and put into a document most likely pdf.

Of all of the steps only the first one is difficult, not because it is hard but because it is time consuming not to mention tedious.
Each of the scans must be performed at high resolution [which takes time] but then has to be edited to remove artifact and print imperfections [like the paper grain].

It can either be done now or in final edit either way it needs to be done.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Yes I am sure you can just slap it into an ocr program and just churn it out in a few days, but I have read books and manuals like that . . . even if the format is identical, they are really hard to read let alone something you enjoy reading.
If someone wants to do that then by all means but I am still going to persist with this method cause I want to do this properly and I welcome any help people wish to give.

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 95

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi foxmalcolm,

I fully agree on OCR being more work than its worth. That's why I was asking about creating the examples from scratch in .svg, but yeah we will have to scan the books anyway, so maybe the .svg stuff isn't really necessary.

While I would volunteer to do some scanning I sadly don't have any english CS books :(
But I do have some english pdfs which I could start typing up...
So, count me in for goal #2, just assign me which book I should start with :)
Many happy landings!

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Well thats ok because I currently have scanned pdf versions available for transcribing
    The Rules of Combat
    Warriors of the Air
    Aircraft of North America
    Blake Aviation Security [FASA Supplement not WizKids]
    Behind the Crimson Veil
    Aircraft Manual
Currently I have only typed up the first up.
I really must endeavor to put some time into this project again, by rights I should have been finished already.

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 95

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:44 pm

Quick update:
I just finished typing up pages 34 through 71 (that's the fighters, engineering and repairs up to boarding rules) of Behind the Crimson Veil. Only minimal formatting used; just to be able to recognize captions in one glance with some tables where tabs would have been too fiddly. Will hopefully get to start on the first part of the book (the different pirate gangs) during the easter holidays, but will probably not be finished before end of April (lots more typing to follow after BtCV anyway :)).
Many happy landings!

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 95

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:20 am

Good news everyone: I just finished typing up BtCV front to back.

I used some fonts that resemble the original and added a few format styles, but other than that its pretty much bare bone (especially the tables are still an eyesore). I'll send the .doc file to Fox so he can forward it to anyone who wants to do proofreading, doing the layout, add scanned pictures, etc.

Here's a preview of pages 1 and 33
Many happy landings!

Return to