Crimson Skies Master Rules Project
captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON CYWG

CMR Project Overview

Postby captnmartin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:58 pm

Crimson Skies: Master Rules (Working Title)

Project Synopsis: Comprehensive Rules for Crimson Skies, elevating the base game to a more advanced level while maintaining the same simple mechanics.

Project Members
Project Lead: Captnmartin
Lead Editor:
Editor:
Editor: Jerba
Graphic Artist: Foxmalcolm
Graphic Artist:
Map Development:
Lead Tester:
Tester: Grant
Tester:
Tester:

Overview:
For many years, fans looking for Crimson Skies rules were forced to scour the internet to add in bombers, zeppelins, and other aspects that FASA never managed to add in before shutting its doors. The Crimson Skies Master Rules looks to change this state of affairs, by creating a single go to rules reference for the community. The project also seeks to improve upon the work started by FASA, expanding the fertile Universe that they gave us, with new fluff pieces on manufacturers, planes, people, pilots, and countries.
One of the overriding goals is simple but not simplistic. The aim is to keep the same easy to understand mechanics of Crimson Skies intact. Rules for Zeppelins, Bombers, Ground Attack, and out of cockpit roleplaying should be able to be picked up and understood in 15 minutes or less. All the math (percentage chance, etc) should be invisible to the user. The focus of combat should still be white-knuckle dogfighting, so Zeppelin and Bomber actions should never overshadow the fighters. Which is not to say that two Zeppelins duking it out over Arixo isn't exciting, but the success of the attack should rest in the fighter pilot's hands.
We are also aiming to have a highly polished final product, which will be published in PDF format. Graphically we are aiming to copy the style of the Crimson Skies sourcebook format. Submissions will be edited to bring them up to the standard of the project. Rules will be extensively tested for balance, as will construction rules.

CMR Contents
Air Warfare - Description of Fighter Combat Rules
Advanced Danger Zones - With permission from Fox Force Five, this updates danger zones
Advanced Weapons - New ammo types, rockets, and some experimental weaponry
Bombers - Rules for deploying and using Ultra-Heavy Aircraft
Zeppelins - Expanded Rules for Zeppelins, making them slightly more dynamic then there predecessors
Bombing - Ground Attack Rules, Strafing, High Altitude, Skip Bombing, Over the Shoulder

Out of plane RPG - [Rules for playing out the backroom wheeling and dealing of the Crimson Skies Universe[/i]

Construction Rules Balanced, Tested, with Prices, these rules will allow you to build anything flyable in the Universe
Fighters, Gyros, Bombers, Zeppelins, Manufacturers List with Locations

World overview '39 Nation, Pirate, Militia and other Updates, who is at war with who, etc.
New Aircraft Some new 'official' aircraft with art
Skies on Fire Full 14~20 mission dynamic campaign with branching.

Advertisements - [i]Scattered throughout the book, flavour fluff[i]
Last edited by 4 on captnmartin, edited 0 times in total.

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Re: CMR Project Overview

Postby Jerba » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:08 pm

Sign me up as an editor. I am not familiar with the FASA rules at all, but I can help correct the misspellings, grammar, and format issues. I also have an eye for style and layout.

I will also be more than happy to help generate the overview for Utah. I have been working on a map project in Google Earth (haven't touched it in a while) but I might, just might, be able to use it to help generate maps for the overviews as well.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:05 pm

Would this involve updating the flight control mechanisms for combat to include 3D space [ie rules to determine altitude, ascent/descent, Barnstorming/Danger Zones, etc]
As for help, I am more than happy to offer Graphic Art support and I am willing to make the pdf

As for the title, . . . . I guess I have been playing Dungeons & Dragons too much lately cause all I got right now is Advanced Crimson Skies 2nd edition, lol :lol:

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:44 pm

I'll join up as a tester ;) And insight...helpful insight director...and...well.

Hmm..I'll be security..

yahzuk
PostsCOLON 68
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 pm

Postby yahzuk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:42 am

A truly exciting project and I'd love to be part of it as an editor!

That said, I'm going to risk getting myself in trouble with a couple of tough questions off the bat...

This is obviously a huge undertaking - do you have some expectation as to the timing?
What is the submissions process going to be?
What's going to be the process for deciding what makes it into the final product?

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:25 am

Would this involve updating the flight control mechanisms for combat to include 3D space

Yes, but as an optional advanced rule. The core game would remain in 2d space, however the CMR will include a chapter on advanced flight rules that will include some form of 3d fighting space. This will probably cause many headaches to develop, but if someone wants to give it a whirl, I'm fine with it.

That said, I'm going to risk getting myself in trouble with a couple of tough questions off the bat...
This is obviously a huge undertaking - do you have some expectation as to the timing?
What is the submissions process going to be?
What's going to be the process for deciding what makes it into the final product?

Nothing wrong with questions, and don't think you'll ever get in trouble for asking them. For timing, I'd like to hope that within 4 months we could have a working alpha, potentially a beta, of the CMR. This would be a stripped down version complete with rules to be tested. A final version, well, until I know the staff we have on this, I don't want to issue a release date.
Submissions to the CMR will for the most part be solicited here, and I'll be maintaining a google docs for the design process.
The process as to what makes it into the final release has not been formalized yet, but I would expect that the lead for each section of the project would have a say, the testers would validate rules and systems, and the inclusion would be dependant on a final decision by a core group of editors and testers who could verify that the submission meets the quality standards of the project and obeys the 'simple but not simplistic' design goal.

FF5 MadMaxX
PostsCOLON 78
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:58 pm
LocationCOLON Germany
CONTACTCOLON

Postby FF5 MadMaxX » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:35 pm

captnmartin wroteColonAdvanced Danger Zones - With permission from Fox Force Five, this updates danger zones

You have my permission to add the rules, if you need additional informations or examples i can give you them too.

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:31 am

FF5 MadMaxX wroteColon
captnmartin wroteColonAdvanced Danger Zones - With permission from Fox Force Five, this updates danger zones

You have my permission to add the rules, if you need additional informations or examples i can give you them too.

That is awesome, thanks a million for that!

Phoenix
PostsCOLON 164
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Postby Phoenix » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Wow, this looks awesome. Seems to be just what CS needs, and who knows? Maybe it'll spark some official interest in this fantastic game.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
"Is it heavy?" "Yes." "Then it's expensive - put 'em back." -Jurassic Park
With me surprises are rarely unexpected. - Any Pink Panther movie

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:11 am

Yeah...ain't seen Martin around for awhile. When i'm a bit more available and can work on it I'll be trying to contact him.

Return to