[WIP] GTA Mod

For CS Mods, programing, or to show off your extensively customized CS site.
foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

[WIP] GTA Mod

Postby foxmalcolm » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:51 am

I have decided to start work by myself on the GTA Mod.
To make it easier on myself and partly so I don't fuel this growing cloud of doom hanging over my head, I have decided to break it down into several small, achievable parts.
    [Part one]
    modify existing models and textures for building/street signs/billboards/etc

[Part two]
    Modify existing vehicles with 1930''s counterparts

[Part three]
    Modify the terrain/trees/waterways/bridges/etc

[Part four]
    Start introducing CS planes into the game Starting with the hoplite taxi & metroliner then moving onto the devestator and fury

[Part five]
    Develop [modify] script/s for control of CS aircraft, work out way-points for traffic and pedestrians

[Part six]
    Introduce zeppelins, first as cargo and passenger liners then as launch platforms [will also dabble in finding out how to have security planes circle and protect their zeppelins]

[Part seven]
    Modify civilian, police and military NPC's.
    Start work on plot scripts, cut scenes, etc
    Add in radio broadcasts
Now I have added them to this list in order of importance [at least as far as I am concerned] as well as order of difficulty, I should have no trouble with the first two [other than time difficulties and fiddly model issues].
I am not sure about three, I am expecting unknown technical issues to plague me here.
Four to six will be the most challenging [as I have NO IDEA AS TO HOW TO DO THESE ONES].
Seven is not hard, I just see it as being the least important thing to do.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Re: [WIP] GTA Mod

Postby foxmalcolm » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:24 am

Two buildings I will be adding
First up is an office compound
Second is a store front
Let me know if you think I am on the right track for a 1930's feel?

Jester
PostsCOLON 57
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:50 am
LocationCOLON Western Australia

Postby Jester » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:13 am

Realistically, I don't think you're going to be able to get beyond step four. Swapping the models should be relatively straight forward and is fairly common for mods, but actually adding an entirely new kind of vehicle and making it behave properly will be a nightmare. Then there's the AI.
I think the only way to make a CS mod would be to start with a flying game - or a game with a major flying component.

That said a 1930s or even groundside Crimson Skies version of GTA could be really cool.
4L3C - 4R3E

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:28 pm

I have done my research, there are scripts for adding new vehicles and modifying the existing controls, I just don't understand how to implement them.
It will take me some time . . . . then again it may take no time, I have always been a quick study.
And who knows maybe once I get to step four I might have some help.
Besides GTA already has both ground, air and sea control systems, I just have to learn how to use them.

johnny gaijin
PostsCOLON 32
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Postby johnny gaijin » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:07 pm

i'd start w/ step 4. if you do the other 3 steps and are unable to do step 4 then it's all for nothing. if you can get the planes to work no one will care if the building are modern or not (at least at first). unless you're doing it just for the experience or whatever.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence . . . . but I think I will continue as I have laid out.
Besides I have already been informed [on the GTA modding site] that I will have better chances of obtaining the interest of an experienced script/code writer if I can prove that there is actually going to be a viable mod [ie most of the leg work is almost done], until I do it is just wishful thinking as far as they are concerned.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:09 am

Good luck Mr Malcolm!
Flying the Crimson Skies

johnny gaijin
PostsCOLON 32
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Postby johnny gaijin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:41 am

foxmalcolm wroteColonThanks for the vote of confidence . . . . but I think I will continue as I have laid out.
Besides I have already been informed [on the GTA modding site] that I will have better chances of obtaining the interest of an experienced script/code writer if I can prove that there is actually going to be a viable mod [ie most of the leg work is almost done], until I do it is just wishful thinking as far as they are concerned.

didn't mean to be rude i obviously have no idea what your modding skill level is... step 4 just seems like the hardest and also the most critical step so personally that's what i'd focus on. the buildings look great by the way.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:07 am

I agree step four is the most foreboding and therefore one of the more critical challenges but at the same time I see the first two steps as a way of learning the skills I need for four.
Most of one and two is just simple exchanges [replace this model for that model, replace this texture for that one], lots of repetitive work, nothing really fiddly or technical [ I am just learning the craft, maybe experiment a bit on the way].
Three is when I will be putting that knowledge and new found skills to use as I try and find new ways to do what I want.
Four requires a more in-depth knowledge about how it all works, from this point I will be adding new content and I don't know what the limits to it are or how it effects the game.
But I am confident that by the time I get to that point I would have found some technical assistance.
And rather than try and modify the whole game straight off the bat I will concentrate in one or two areas [like the CBD and airport], this should minimise the work load and give me [and others] some clue as to how it will turn out.
Although I am tempted to just fudge it and make a promo so I can get the help I need.

Captain Zee
PostsCOLON 77
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:19 am
LocationCOLON Fishtail, Montana

Postby Captain Zee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:55 am

When you reach step 4, may I suggest that you start with ground vehicles first? I know that the aircraft are an important aspect of the game, but the complexity of mapping out control surfaces of ground vehicles to aircraft differs a good amount. I'm not a professional modder, but I know the aspects of it. Vehicles sound like the easiest (they are step one in any GTA style game/engine anyway), aircraft are midway, but sea vessels are the hardest. You need a completely different style of surface when dealing with ships, a surface that is constantly changing, in a multitude of ways, with more invisible obstacles and eventual glitches. This is only a suggestion, though. I don't know if you are going to wait for different people to mod different things, or if you are just going to put all the vehicles in yourself. I don't have a good enough computer to help you with this right now (nor the time), but I'll try to get to it if I can. Otherwise, good luck!

Return to