Campaign mods for the PC game.

For CS Mods, programing, or to show off your extensively customized CS site.
Densoman2
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Campaign mods for the PC game.

Postby Densoman2 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:03 pm

Guys,
I"m new to the Crimson Skies universe but really love it. I currently have the PC game and the Heroclix game.
I was wondering if there are any mods for the pc game out there?

Thanks,
Tony

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Campaign mods for the PC game.

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:52 am

Not as such no.
The problem lies with the .zbd file format that micro$oft uses.
It is quite difficult to crack and everytime they [micro$oft] use this format it changes.
The .zbd format they use in Revolt is different than the .zbd format they used for Mech Warrior 3 and it is different again in Crimson Skies.
Each time they change it it requiers that someone rewrite a new compression/extraction tool just so you can read the files.
A lot of graphics cards nowadays can't run CS or they get horrible distortion and unstable run time, to counter this users are hoping to hack Crimson Skies so these problems can be fixed.
A few people have tried to make conversions of other games so that they will have a CS feel to them, but its not the same.
On the plus side there is high hopes for a new game to be anounced soon, and even higher hopes that it will be available for PC, and even higher hopes still that it will be user mod freindly [hint, hint, to any developers of the new game reading this site].

Densoman2
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Postby Densoman2 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:49 pm

Max,
Thanks for your reply. I have seen were these is a Crimson Skies 2 in the works. I hope it is mod friendly.

Thanks,
Tony

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:26 am

You know what game has a great engine, is moddable, and can probably be easily adapted?

Il2.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:24 pm

I disagree . . . yes it is a great engine but unlike CS it's flight control is too realistic and difficult to master without training, it lacks the arcade feel of turn left to go left.
Then again, I have not played it with a joystick [only keyboard] maybe that changes the feel of the game . . . .
I think that a simpler engine to use and one that encompasses all aspects of CS [thats flying, driving, walking, running and shooting] is Grand Theft Auto.
Plus I feel that it would be easier to convert as all the tools are there and freely available [It is just a monstrous undertaking, I would give it a go if I had some help]

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:16 am

Wasn't Crimson Skies built on the Combat Flight Sim 2 engine?

Thom
PostsCOLON 1005
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:00 am

Back when things were still FASA Studios @ Microsoft, the next generations, MW5 & CS2, were going to use the same engine, but of course that program died on the desk. There were a few guys in the past talking about doing a CS mod for MW4 but I never heard of anything coming from it. Now that MW4 is becoming freeware perhaps we will see some movement on that front.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Computer programmings a little outta my realm :lol:

So converting ground-only combat to flight wouldn't be difficult? I guess arcade style it wouldn't be all that much differant....

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Ok, I put in a request for assistance at the GTA modding forum.
Hopefully I should hear back from some more experienced modders soon, in the meantime I will start reading tutorials about adding new models into the game.

I imagine it should not be too difficult to add and replace models/textures/sounds the tough part will be in scripting, in order for the game to be worthwhile there needs to be two street levels, ground level and roof top level, so traffic and pedestrians need to act accordingly depending on which level they are on.
plus I will need to change vehicle behaviour physics to allow for better flight controls.

Currently I am torn as to what game to mod, GTA:VC or GTA:SA, technically they use the same engine but they each offer different game elements that I wish to incorporate but at the same time they have elements I wish to remove. [for instance GTA SA has a health and fitness script which manages your body weight and shape depending on what and how much food you consume and how often you exercise, blah, not needed at all]

oh yeah I should mention that doing an extensive conversion like this means having an independent install.exe [so you don't need to have the game in order to play it].

Thom
PostsCOLON 1005
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:43 am

Grant wroteColonComputer programmings a little outta my realm :lol:

So converting ground-only combat to flight wouldn't be difficult? I guess arcade style it wouldn't be all that much differant....

MW4 already has a flight engine incorporated. There have been aerospace fighters as both enemies and player vehicles in some of the mods. They should all be in the freeware Uber MW4 pack when it finally comes around.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Return to