Japanese Samurai Subs: Aircarft Carrying Subs

Made a airplane? Zeppelin? Something in between? Here's where to put it. (Meant for any new skins/etc.etc/ and not actual new aircraft stats)
Kaffis
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Re: Japanese Samurai Subs: Aircarft Carrying Subs

Postby Kaffis » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:58 am

I didn't read the whole thread there, but they're clearly overlooking UAV's. That's where the potential would be.

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Well, the biggest problem with a sub/carrier hybrid is, bluntly, that it goes against the entire principle of building a submarine. A sub carrier would need large elevators to move the planes to the flight deck- giant holes in the pressure hull that would compromise water-tight integrity very quickly. Stuff from the old DeepAngel website (wish it was still up) was a beautiful fancy, but impossible or at least extremely impractical.

The Japanese I-400's got around this problem with the utmost simplicity- the aircraft were carried outside the main pressure hull. They had their own small 'pressure hull' which had an end cap designed to allow the water pressure to hold it closed. Still 330' (100m) was the maximum dive depth on the subs- a full 70 feet less than an American sub of late-war stock, and less than half that of a German Type IX, which could reach 750' (230m). They were also ponderously slow, making less than 7 knots submerged and handling like a bloated pig.

These inventions would fit into Crimson Skies' pulp world well, but they would still be a balky, cantankerous machine which was as dangerous to those aboard as to the enemy.
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:15 pm

Let's not forget the biggest problem...

A submarine is supposed to be stealthy. By it's nature, an aircraft carrier is not stealthy. A sub-carrier would have to spend a lot of time on the surface to conduct air operations. And that goes against everything a sub commander believes in.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:50 pm

True but in the Crimson Skies Universe we do have to suspend disbelief in order to enjoy the whole thing.
If we do that then we take it as fact that a zeppelin can carry multiple fighter wings plus fuel, spare parts, cargo, passengers and crew and still be able to travel at full speed.
To suspend our disbelief we are also willing to believe that in the CS universe they had [as a result of conflict] made major leaps and bounds in technological improvements that we don't see in our universe for another 10 years.
So if we take all that into account then it is a simple matter for us to accept that the British found a way to make a submersible aircraft carrier practical and efficient.

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:14 pm

Oh I know, I thought we were talking real world.

As to the pressure doors thing...

Cutting large doors in a sub would be possible, since the pressure from the outside would seal the door tightly. It's the opposite of an aircraft, where the doors are pressed outwards from the internal pressure.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Hehe it is funny . . .
if you take the cross section of that sub and flipped it vertical, it has the makings of a great zeppelin!
;)

Dragonjaj
PostsCOLON 22
JoinedCOLON Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:04 pm

Postby Dragonjaj » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:08 am

foxmalcolm wroteColonHehe it is funny . . .
if you take the cross section of that sub and flipped it vertical, it has the makings of a great zeppelin!
;)

Thats do to old stile zeps and modern subs have simaler shape. i have a consept of a carrier sub with a retractabule lanch catapult on the frunt and a retractable recover crane aft to pick up the sea plans after landing planes like the dalpen flowen by the cajen in cs videogame on xbox.

Ps: heres the japanese carrier sub http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-400_class_submarine

Phoenix
PostsCOLON 164
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Postby Phoenix » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:43 pm

I believe it's called the I400 - the arcade flying game Heroes of the Pacific has them as boss battles once or twice. Pretty cool, overall. Aviation History did an article on them a few months back - apparently there were plans to use them to bomb the Panama Canal, which would hinder US transocean shipping.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
"Is it heavy?" "Yes." "Then it's expensive - put 'em back." -Jurassic Park
With me surprises are rarely unexpected. - Any Pink Panther movie

rayvtirx
PostsCOLON 151
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:16 pm
LocationCOLON Bristol,England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby rayvtirx » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:08 am

love the smiley face on the front :)

Coefficientofsnark
PostsCOLON 26
JoinedCOLON Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:56 am

Postby Coefficientofsnark » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

The I400s were going to be used for a knockout, one-time attack against the Panama canal IIRC.

The PC game gave the British something similar called HMS Barracuda. It died very easily.

Return to