Confederation of Dixie Navy

Made a airplane? Zeppelin? Something in between? Here's where to put it. (Meant for any new skins/etc.etc/ and not actual new aircraft stats)
foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Confederation of Dixie Navy

Postby foxmalcolm » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:35 am

I love that picture of the Dédalo!
She is more what I envisioned as an earlier concept, a quick raider carrier.
Unfortunatley she would have to be modified to look like a merchant vessel, but then again her size would mean that she doesn't have to be spotted for very long, she could employ more of a guerrilla hit and run tatic and have a secondary sister ship [that not only looks like a frighter but is a friegther] come in afterwards and retrieve cargo. . . . . hmm a raider foltilla!

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:59 am

Oh the possibilities :twisted:

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:25 am

foxmalcolm wroteColon. . . hmm a raider foltilla!

Hey, an auxiliary cruiser is specifically mentioned as acting as a privateer for the Maritime Provinces in Airman's Gazette. No reason to think that a well-off privateer/pirate group might not have a homemade fleet!

A privateer raider... hmmm... more good ideas.
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:43 pm

Considering the Tethered Balloons, if they were properly "Sky" camouflaged and equipped with telephones (Not radios) they would be perfect for searching out targets of opportunity while keeping the carrier hidden over the horizon. The Airship that Dedalo carried could be used for resupply or for heavy saturation bombing. All in all, the more I consider the concept and it's implications, the more interested I am becoming! You could build one of these ships with a flat flight deck that had features PAINTED on, like hatches or gangways or coils of rope all painted on the deck. . . You could even toss in a few lightweight Trojan boxes/containers which could be placed on the deck when needed then wheeled to the side for launching or recovering aircraft.

Oh h h the great possibilities! I could easily picture one of the great nations doing exactly this kind of thing with the clandestine crews deniable, to be treated like pirates if caught rather than the spies or raiders that they are. Say perhaps that France wants to know what the Germans are up to in the Mexican port of Veracruz, they outfit a freighter as a carrier, much like Dedalo, and then place unit of Foreign Legionnaires on board. Setting just outside the shipping lanes they could use the tethered balloons to observe, and if by chance they found a target of opportunity, they could launch their Seaplanes and Gyros to attack it and then return, or if they discovered the Germans building a shipyard and depot, they might send the airship over at night to bomb the hell out of it! Once the aircraft are recovered, they re-assume their tramp freighter disguise complete with Trojan props, appearing to all the world like any other freighter from the air, unlikely to draw any further attention. . .

And should someone decide to attack her, in quick order she could bare her own teeth and fight back. . . This needs to be in a story! :D
Flying the Crimson Skies

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:16 am

Alright, quick'n dirty model showing tanker and modifications.
The main hanger will be open and not hidden, inside is one hoplite decked out in ship colours, this is because if any boarding parties see marks and equipment for an aircraft it will be believe to be that of the hoplite.
The floor of the main hangar is in acuality a giant elevator, planes [in pirate colours] come up ready for launch from this point.
When they are coming in for a landing, they will catch the hook of one of the two cranes and be lowered to the hanger deck through the concealed cargo bay doors.
The runway will consist of several "working" valve switches inlaid flush into the deck plate, a deckhand carrying a valve ring can operate these valves if any demonstration is required.
The ship also must maintian a false water line at all times in order to decieve costal patrols, the ship is deeper than expected as the hull also contains balast tanks which are flooded in the extra hull space located under the oil tanks.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:24 am

Very sweet! I like it!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223

Postby Carthaginian » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:35 am

Amazing, Fox... simply amazing.
One little nit-pick about a ship of the era that might make it a bit more authentic- bulbous bows didn't exist as you have them at that point. A cargo ship's bow would have been more-or-less a steep sheer or simply vertical below the waterline. For the T2, I think it was a very steep sheer that (from the pics I've seen) looks to continue at about the same angle as above the waterline. Beyond that, it looks perfect!

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Postby Jerba » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:36 pm

Thom wroteColon
Wikipedia wroteColonAutogyro C.30 landing on the Spanish seaplane tender Dédalo in 1934

Some interesting history I gleaned from the Spanish Wikipedia entry that wasn't available in English, I speak some Spanish so here is the story of the Dédalo (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9dal ... droaviones)):

The Dedalo was originally one of a number of German Merchant Marine ships given to Spain by the Wiemar Republic to make up for Spanish shipping that was destroyed by indiscriminate submarine warfare during WWI. The Dedalo (or as she was known until 1921, España nº 6 (Spain Number 6)) was received by Spain on October 23, 1918. It was returned to Trans-Atlantic commercial activity with the Compañía Trasatlántica (Transatlantic Company) until 1920 when the Bubonic plague broke out on board. Her civilian life ended at the end of September 1921 when she was turned over to the Spanish Fleet.

The Dédalo (Spanish for Daedalus: after the Athenian inventor who built the labyrinth of Minos; to escape the labyrinth he fashioned wings for himself and his son Icarus) was the original Spanish seaplane and balloon carrier. Her conversion cost 8 Million pesetas. She carried 2 Italian dirigibles that were semirigid and 1,500 m³ in size(1 active, 1 Reserve), 2 AP Ballons of 1,200 m³ that could be tied to the port bow. The ship had a a lattice tower on its bow to dock with airships. It also carried bottles of hydrogen gas and a small factory to produce Hydrogen to sufficiently secure the supply of the balloons.

She could carry twelve planes on deck, and twenty more, with wings folded, in the inside hangar. She carried the following during her service life: Felixstowe F.3, Savoia S.16 y S.16 bis, Macchi M.18, and Supermarine Scarab. Seaplanes would not take off from the meager aft deck. They were lowered by crane into the water, and after completion of their mission, after landing in the water they would be lifted by the same crane back into the ship.

In 1925, she provided great service during the war in Morocco at the Battle of Alhucecemas. It's aircraft played a role, on day 21 of the battle by dropping more than 175 bombs on enemy positions.

Juan de la Cierva and Codorniu, with his famous invention of the autogyro, made a perfect and precise landing with a model C.30 registered G-ACIO from this vessel at anchor near the port of Valencia on a marked area of the deck. Half an hour later, after a short run of 24 meters off the ground. It was the first time ever that a vessel with rotor blades took off on a ship. She sat out the Spanish Civil War in the port of Cartagena (Spain) to be ultimately discharged on March 1, 1940. After being towed to Valencia she was scrapped.

By the way, the writing on the image is pretty interesting:

To the Commander (Commandante), officials and your crew of "the Dedalo,"
a souvenir of the first take off and landing on an anchored boat.
J. de la Cierva
Last edited by 1 on Jerba, edited 0 times in total.

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Hey nice!!!!

Adds alot to it :D

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223

Postby Carthaginian » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:10 am

Go to see the parents for Labor Day.
I'll try and have something nice to show for the vacation.

Return to