A Fun Idea

Made a airplane? Zeppelin? Something in between? Here's where to put it. (Meant for any new skins/etc.etc/ and not actual new aircraft stats)
foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

A Fun Idea

Postby foxmalcolm » Tue May 27, 2014 3:01 am

G'day everybody!
I have had this sitting around in my model stash for ages and I NEVER EVER had any inclination of making it.
I can't remember from whom I received it from but I am pretty sure it was a joke present meant in jest but . . HAha, the jokes on them, 'cause now I am going to actually make it!

Just not in the way the manufacturers originally intended . . . .
This is a fun little kit designed to be made by an adult and given to a wee little ankle-bitter to throw around and break.
These kits are cheap and easy to come by [I believe that my gift giverer paid a whooping $2.00 for this "Legendary" model], but the kit isn't the real prize here.
The real prize is the instruction sheet.

"The instruction sheet?" I hear you say, "why would the instruction sheet be the real prize?"
Simply put, that despite the lack of any real helpful instructions, the sheet does come with something rather valuable . . . 3 detailed [possibly CAD] drawings of the pieces that make up the kit.

Now I am going to make the kit, partly out of spite and partly to see what I can do to improve it but mainly to see how the kit comes together .
Because . . . I plan on remaking it out of styrene sheets at a scale that makes it usable in a CS match . . DUH-Duh-DAAaaa!!
[alright, truthfully, hands up all those who didn't see that coming?]

And the best part is . . any of you can give it a whirl too.
Now I imagine that the original wooden kit will take a couple of days to build, mainly because it is made out of plywood and wood has certain tolerances and assemble requirements . . in other words I can't breeze through it, so you will just have to put up with me for a few days.

But after that, the real fun will begin as we start to apply the knowledge from this little build into making some DIY CS mini's.

* * Note * *
I have no idea if this will even work, I am simply bored and figured I will make it work. YOLO!

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Re: A Fun Idea

Postby foxmalcolm » Tue May 27, 2014 3:12 am

Alright
[Build Day One]
Well first things first, I had to see what I was working with . .
I figured it was a good idea to number the parts to help with identification and assemble later.
So, starting from piece one and working my way through to piece 12, I now begin the assembly process . . . . and bugger . . now I have to wait for the glue to dry.
In truth it was a bit more complicated than that . .
The wood seems to have been cut using a stamp and it wasn't a straight downward cut.
Many of the pieces needed sanding and whilst the majority went together rather well, some needed pinning . . .
Ah well, now I just have to wait for the glue to dry.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Tue May 27, 2014 4:00 am

I'm dating myself now, 40 years ago I used to build balsa models and I loved it. It can be very satisfying.
Flying the Crimson Skies

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Tue May 27, 2014 7:12 am

* * Important Update * *
More glue drying :mrgreen:
I should probably soak these pieces of plywood in water for a bit first, they are way too thick to bend into place.
At least I won't have this problem with the styrene mini's later on.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Tue May 27, 2014 10:51 pm

* * [Build Day Two] * *
Everything dried well over night, but it looked awful . . all those jagged pieces.
So, I decided to file and sand it all over . . I even rounded out the wings and tail sections.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Wed May 28, 2014 3:21 am

Soon you'll be barnstorming!
Flying the Crimson Skies

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed May 28, 2014 1:20 pm

* * Update * *
After sanding and filing the edges to get a smoother look to the fuselage, I decided to fill the gaps.
And while I was at it, I pulled up blueprints of what a Goshawk is suppose to look like . . . yeah . . it was way off.
So I decided to add missing detail and file back parts of the fuselage to match the contours from the blueprints.
And it wasn't until I attached the wings that I noticed the problem.
The wings are the wrong shape!
Actually the more that I compared it, the more I realised that it is a different plane . . . in fact it looks more like a Curtis Sparrowhawk than a Curtis Goshawk!
So this leaves me in a bit of a bind [seeing how I already glued it], do I alter it to look more like it's namesake the "Goshawk" or do I leave it as is?
any thoughts?

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Wed May 28, 2014 3:55 pm

I would leave it as it is, unless you want absolutely it to be realistic and in that case you would have used a plastic kit. ;)
Malphas, over and out

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Wed May 28, 2014 6:59 pm

I would leave it as is and call it a Curtis *$@%hawk. . . :D
Flying the Crimson Skies

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed May 28, 2014 11:27 pm

[Day Three]
Well apparently I can't leave well enough alone . . . seeing how I already modified the fuselage, I decided to fix the rest of it.

Return to