My Crimson Skies Map & Flags

Made a airplane? Zeppelin? Something in between? Here's where to put it. (Meant for any new skins/etc.etc/ and not actual new aircraft stats)
Rocket
PostsCOLON 15
JoinedCOLON Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:30 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Baltimore, Columbia
CONTACTCOLON

My Crimson Skies Map & Flags

Postby Rocket » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Hello all!

I've been a big fan of Crimson Skies (and dieselpunk in general) for years now, ever since I found the original CS box set in a gaming shop many many years ago. I'm not much of a gamer (I mostly played the PC game), but I'm fascinated w/ the universe of CS and I've collected all of the materials I could get my hands on.

I've realized how drastically dated some of the materials feel, and since my day job is as a web/graphic designer, I thought perhaps I could use some of my skills to recreate dated Crimson Skies materials... chiefly the maps and flags. Soooo, I sat down one day and drew all of the flags of North America (and then some), and have also spent quite a bit of time developing my cartographic skills in order to design a map of the Crimson Skies world as I imagine it.

I've put the flags and map together into an interactive form: http://www.crimsonski.es/

Currently it's just North America, but hopefully soon I'll have the entire world. I'd like to ultimately put together an encyclopedia (I'm calling it the "Aerodex") about the Crimson Skies world as I imagine it. Most of the material is true to the original FASA stuff... I've given certain countries more realistic names (it's a bit of an amalgamation of my own ideas and other ideas I've seen around the web that I thought were smart). "Hollywood," for example, is just synecdoche for the "Republic of California," and "Industrial States of America" is just a sarcastic nickname for the "Independent States of America." Utah is "Deseret," and the Native American nations have native names and flags that have been changed to incorporate mythology/beliefs of the people.

Anyhoo... hope you like it!

Thom
PostsCOLON 1005
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: My Crimson Skies Map & Flags

Postby Thom » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:26 am

Well done! I like it a lot!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Postby Jerba » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:08 pm

WOW. That is absolutely gorgeous! Very, very well done.

I know we have resident experts for almost every territory, so please let us know if you need help. I am sort of the self appointed Utah/Deseret expert. I really like the direction you took the Deseret flag, btw. I would love to see this expand. Where do you see it going? What do you want to have for each territory?

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:11 am

G'day Rocket and welcome to the forums mate!

It is such a pleasure to not only see another talented artist interested in the CS universe but to find a fellow Graphic Designer has been bitten by the CS bug is just awesome.

You will find many a receptive audience among this forums denizens, no idea is too outlandish, no work of art is scorned . . . provided that it is CS, it will be welcomed. [and then even some stuff that is not]

Make sure to check out some of the other drawings in the art section by our other creative residents, they offer some unique insights into CS life.
And the fluff written by our non visually inclined members is just fantastic stuff to read.

I and everybody else here on the forum are looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Cheers
-=FOX=-

Rocket
PostsCOLON 15
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Rocket » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:04 am

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

I've actually been a fan of CS ever since I was in middle school, back in like... '98 or whenever it was that the box set came out. Mostly all I did was lurk around the online community, but over the years I've amassed a pretty big collection not only of CS materials, but also historical US airship and zeppelin stuff (lots of books, postcards, etc). CS is one of my "domains" of interest. :lol: I like dieselpunk stuff in general but CS always made it feel the most "real."

Anyway... I'm not entirely certain what direction I want to take with the stuff I've made so far. I've got vector files for all the flags I could manage to make (not just North America, but elsewhere too). I've recreated the CS logo in super-high resolution (because the ones from the fansite kits are small by today's standards). I've played around with some 3D modeling of aircraft... still learning there! I've built an extensive cartographic database of nations & places using modified open source map data and done quite a bit of research into how/where borders might actually form. I'm a web designer for my day job so I've got skills enough to put together a website... if I ever figure out exactly what format I want to wrap all of this stuff up in! :P

What I mostly lack is a solid direction for my efforts, and the writing skills to glue it all together. I'm not terrible, but it's not my forté. I could totally use some help with writing entries for something like the Aerodex, if that ever happens. Whenever I try putting words to screen, I tend to get distracted by making pretty maps and pictures!

I was thinking of perhaps recreating/expanding on something like the Airmen's Gazeteer in the form of a website (hence the "Aerodex"), but with my own take on the world of CS. It'd be nice to develop background for more nations than just North America, and perhaps fill in the historical gaps prior to 1937. It'd be neat to establish & document a fairly stable "fanon" that others could use when inventing characters or storylines for games/stories/etc. I have faith that one day the Crimson Skies IP will be put to use by whoever owns it, and it'd be neat to have a comprehensive fandom established for when all the new fans come flooding in! ;-P Hey... I can dream, at least!

I'm finishing up a printable world map right now (should be big enough to print out and it'll look like a cool old Nat Geo map)... I'm thinking once I finish that it'll be a good foundation for enlisting some help and building histories and stories!

Here's a preview of that map!

And here's something that totally doesn't exist but I made just for fun. :)

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:50 am

Nice cover work, is that a photoshopped photo of a brigand mini with that rather sweet skin overlay?

Rocket
PostsCOLON 15
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Rocket » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:26 am

foxmalcolm wroteColonNice cover work, is that a photoshopped photo of a brigand mini with that rather sweet skin overlay?

Nope, I built & rendered the model in 3D. :)

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:26 am

Nice, so if I was to resume my CS 3D modeling tutorials* again, I could assume I may get one person actually give it a go this time! :mrgreen:

[*] I need to update the links for this

Thom
PostsCOLON 1005
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:24 am

I have no 3D software, nor any knowledge of how to use it. Your tutorials assume that someone has at least a basic knowledge!
Flying the Crimson Skies

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:44 am

Hey that's not fair!
The only knowledge I said you needed to have was the ability to use a mouse, to point and click & the ability to save a document, everything else was spelled out step by step with pictures.
The idea was to demonstrate how easy it was to build something in 3D, not have you cowering in the corner because you didn't immediately understand what every command function was!

Return to