General Xbox area.
Captain Zee
PostsCOLON 77
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:19 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Fishtail, Montana

Re: Desert Fox "An Italian Design"

Postby Captain Zee » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Well, it's not that easy to tell you the handling characteristics of a plane from the Xbox-game. The controls were made so that anyone can perform magnificent maneuvers, with little skill. This is what most CS fans don't like about HRTR. The other thing fans didn't much appreciate was the Fox's secondary weapon, spread missiles. When launched, three small magneto rockets would come off the plane. Alone, one rocket would do only half the damage of a regular magneto, but combined, they did twice the damage. This made the Desert Fox a prime zep-killer, since in the Xbox game, killing a zeppelin required nothing more than shooting blindly at it. For some reason, it looks like the rockets are mounted on top of the wings (judging from this picture off of some abandoned wiki).
A post over at http://www.gamewinners.com/xbox/CrimsonSkiesHighRoadRevenge.htm had stats (although not a thorough as Modhails) on all the Xbox planes giving the Fox:
Defense: 2
Speed: 8
Firepower: 5
Primary weapon: Machine gun
Secondary weapon: Spread missiles

But please remember, these are my own personal thoughts on the Xbox version of this game, with info from other blogs, forums, and sites. In my own personal thoughts, CS:HRTR was arcadic at best.
Montana Zeppelin & Radio Company

Gunbird
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:37 pm
LocationCOLON Tilburg, The Netherlands
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Gunbird » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:08 am

I nvere knew there were magneto missiles. Suddenly picking up the Hobbyboss MiG-3 makes evenb more sense as it comes with 6 small rockets. I still won't be using them.
Thx Erik for statting it up, I hope to see feedback from the rest if it is ok like this. Don't want to be building an aircraft and then adding or removing weaponry from a painted kit......

Now, with the bigger pic, I can see it actually has 6 guns? I just found a description claiming it to be 6 .30 cals

What I can't make out is if it only has winglets or full ones

Modhail
PostsCOLON 26
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Postby Modhail » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:21 am

Gunbird, those magneto missiles are part of the oddball stuff like plane-mounted shotguns and lava cannons they added to make the X-box version more "interesting". :roll:
The Xbox game has a lot more "fantasy" to it than the original boardgame or PC game.

Yup, according to the background the thing has 6 .30 cals. But there is just no way I could squeeze those into the FASA design rules, while also keeping the plane's described speed (or any armour at all)...

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:24 am

5 was like really, super, ultra-fast in CS, only 2-3 planes had that speed. What about a speed of 4+superior/premium engine?

No real clue. I really, really thought about buying the Xbox to try CS, but I looked at it and it just went way too "Sky Captain" for me to get into.

Densoman2
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Postby Densoman2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:53 am

I'm glad to see my original post still getting some attention. However, I never saw the Desert Fox as a possible Mig-3 until somebody mentioned it. It seems more likely that instead of the Italian design. However, I like the Italian link best and have incorporated it into my "Out of Africa" supplement that I have been working on for a long time now.

:D

Tony

Return to