General Xbox area.
Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Low Road to Revenge...

Postby Carthaginian » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:19 pm

You gotta be kidding me!
I've finally bought a hard drive for my 360, but boy, am I DISAPPOINTED at this game.
High Road, how do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways!

1.) WTF? LAVA CANNONS?!? C'mon, it was a cheesy stupid weapon in MechAssault, and it's an even more idiotic concept on a 1930's aircraft. I can't seem to enjoy anything about the game because some enemy with teh UberGunz is always setting my tail on fire. I mean, perhaps I could see the B.B.E.G. getting to have something pulp crazy like this mounted on his secret volcano lair at the end of the game... but does there have to be one on every zep, tower and airplane that DOESN'T belong to the Fortune Hunters? :roll:
2.) Where did PHYSICS go? I see Firebrands- something the size of an A-20- stand on their tail and do an IMMEDIATE direction change at full power. :o I guess because they lack a tail, the game creators seem to believe they wouldn't break in half! :evil:
3.) There's no 1st person view? I'm flying a plane but can't get in the cockpit? What kind of 'flight sim' doesn't have any 'simulation' to it?
4.) There is no end to the enemy planes. Even when their zep/base/hideout is blown from hell to breakfast they keep randomly appearing in 1's, 2's and 6's to annoy you as you try and take care of whatever mission goal you still need to win.
5.) DO my wingmen do anything other than spout annoying comments? I see a whole truckload full of tracers, but I'm yet to see anyone but me (or the enemy) flame an aircraft.

I could continue, but I've got better things to do- like stick my head in a microwave and lighting a match.
That will be about as successful as the designers were at capturing the 'feel' of Crimson Skies. :evil:

On the upside (yes, there actually is one), the cut scenes are spectacular and the voice actors are great.
I give production values an 8/10.

Too bad gameplay gets more of a 1/10.
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Re: Low Road to Revenge...

Postby Jerba » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:55 pm

Tell us how you really feel! Great critique of the game. While I haven't played it, the volcano gun (seriously?) sounds pretty lame.

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223

Postby Carthaginian » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:51 pm

Jerba wroteColonTell us how you really feel!

Just for future reference, this is a bad thing to say to someone as opinionated as myself. ;)
One of my Lieutenants once told me to 'tell me how you really feel' after overhearing some comments about his command style.
He was too busy pouting *are those sniffles I hear, Sir?* to write me up when I got finished. :twisted:

Jerba wroteColonGreat critique of the game. While I haven't played it, the volcano gun (seriously?) sounds pretty lame.

I wasn't particularly interested in playing; I bought it because of the rave reviews the storyline and acting got. In this, I am OVERJOYED. I mean, sure, the plot is a bit over the top for what I feel CS should be; but it's a very cool story. It features all the major characters from the PC game (and Betty's voice is a lot less annoying) and the roles are well done- especially Doc Fasenbinder. The maps are awesome, and the ability to just free-fly around the board and explore is quite entertaining. The planes are also very, very unique with interesting designs (though Fox can easily beat them out on textures :mrgreen: ). I enjoy the ability to man the turret guns, but they feel soggy and unresponsive. The zoom feature helps; but overall, they cannot keep up with the planes due to the game's physics engine (or rather, lack thereof). Still, it's nice to take a break from dogfighting and man a quad .50 cal for some serious AAA action.

Some of the props are equally interesting. For instance, there is a 'tramp steamer turned pirate carrier' at one point in the game which is inspiring my creativity ATM. She's a rather interesting little ship complete with her own AA guns and a 'semi-guided' missile launcher! A pretty cool concept, if I do say so myself.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:14 pm

Well it was suppose to be an arcade game game not a flight sim, but I agree on most of your points, especially about the A.I.'s of your fellow pliots.
But then again even the PC versions pilots sucked, so predictable.
If you stick with it, the story gets more cheesy and unreal but it's worth it, two of the best maps are the navajo and chicago maps.
The navajo really tests your flying skills and the chicago map is filled with eye candy.
Plus there is a scene where you fly as betty's gunman and let me tell you she does not know the meaning of evasive action, I mean I don't think there was a street that she didn't fly in a straight line! Come-on!!
Still its the best pulp 30's style game out there on the xbox and I do enjoy playing it, though now that I have finished I just sit there with god mode on and explore the scenery, trying to find any secret areas.
Oh and I am thrilled that you think my models are beter, though to be honest I still set my standards by those aircraft and I don't believe I have got there yet.
Probably just a missed place sense of fan worship.

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223

Postby Carthaginian » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:03 pm

foxmalcolm wroteColonOh and I am thrilled that you think my models are beter, though to be honest I still set my standards by those aircraft and I don't believe I have got there yet.
Probably just a missed place sense of fan worship.

The Fury and Devastator you posted look 10x better than the ones in-game do.
A lot of it has to do with the EPIC FAIL textures that MicroSquash slapped on their planes in HRtR. In my opinion, they could not have done them any worse. It seems like they used patterns that were designed to more or less not please the eyes while completely minimizing the lines and shapes of the aircraft. Your textures are cleaner, not nearly so busy, and have a sharper look to them. :D

The Sparrowhawk you modeled for Refund- well, MS only wishes that they could pull something like that off.
When she gets a coat of paint, she'll set the standard for our new fan-based planes. :!:

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Postby Jerba » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Carthaginian wroteColon
The Sparrowhawk you modeled for Refund- well, MS only wishes that they could pull something like that off.
When she gets a coat of paint, she'll set the standard for our new fan-based planes. :!:

Now thats the truth! It would be great to keep adding to Malcom's list and have a lot of planes to look at. You're doing a great job designing these things foxmalcolm!

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:43 am

I gotta agree on those ;)

Fox is outdoing alot of ingame designers. Not just in Crimson Skies.

And Carthaginian:

Welcome!!! To why I don't consider HRTR canon ;)

I only played a demo at a local store (AND being unfamiliar with Xbox), and I couldn't force myself to get it....

I MIGHT....eventually, just to have all the CS stuff out there but.....It's just so stupid ;)

But, I figure for the cutscenes, and ingame stuff, it may be worth it.

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223

Postby Carthaginian » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:59 am

Oh, Grant... if you want an entertaining 'movie,' HRtR is awesome. It's not quite up to FFVI Advent Children standards, but its very well animated during the cut scenes and the in-game world is very cinematic. The storyline is pure pulp fiction- but not exactly CS material.

Now, if you want something that feels like it belongs in CS... it's not for you.
But, if you're willing to pay $3.00 (American) for something to infuriate you between awesome cut scenes (many are very humorous), then this is the game for YOU!

Thom
PostsCOLON 1005
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:31 am

I had a ripped/hacked version on my PC for a few days, it constantly crashed and when I finally got it to run and realized just how stupid it was I deleted it. . . *Sigh*
Flying the Crimson Skies

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:10 am

Thom wroteColonI had a ripped/hacked version on my PC for a few days, it constantly crashed and when I finally got it to run and realized just how stupid it was I deleted it. . . *Sigh*
Come Again?
Do you mean to tell me that there is actually a functioning xbox emulator that is capable of running CS?
And I am only just learning of this now!?

Return to