Is the time right for another console game?

General Xbox area.
Igor
PostsCOLON 127
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:27 am
LocationCOLON Ensconced in my mountain fastness
CONTACTCOLON

Is the time right for another console game?

Postby Igor » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:37 pm

...I saw the following in an article about the new Wii U...

Much like any new console, the Wii U will go through a lifetime of speculation about what is possible with the system. In the end, it will be the developers and publishers who take the risks and sell the system to us. However, here are some existing games that can have an amazing showing, if done right, on the Wii U. This generation had a serious lack of arcade-style, vehicle shooters. Titles such as Star Fox, Crimson Skies and most notably, Rogue Squadron, have yet to find a home in current generation hardware. It really is a shame considering the graphical capabilities of current consoles could really do many of these franchises right...

Considering the advances not only in graphics but control interfaces, could the time be right for a new console game?

Igor

Captain Zee
PostsCOLON 77
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:19 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Fishtail, Montana

Re: Is the time right for another console game?

Postby Captain Zee » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:59 pm

The outcome of a new Crimson Skies video game has been in debate for some time. Most fans would like it to be like the original PC version, paying more attention to CS cannon. A fewer fan base would like the Xbox version to come back for a more arcade oriented version. And still others (mostly fans of the boardgame) would like to see it as an App styled game, which is Smith & Tinkers strong-point.

But with Mech Warrior Online, we may see some sort of MMO styled game in this same fashion. I haven't heard any news about CS, other than random threats made by Weisman on gaming news sites.

Anyway, the reason CS got on Xbox in the first place was because of Microsoft's vision of it. Now we can just hope for the best from Nintendo :|
Montana Zeppelin & Radio Company

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Postby Jerba » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:27 pm

That would be interesting, but I probably won't ever buy console so unless it comes out on xbox 360 I wouldn't get it.

I am firmly in the App camp. I would love a turn based app that I could play with friends. If it was good I know of many non cs friends that would play it. Apps are great because the flexibilty allows me to actually play the game. I haven't touched my console or minis in months but I play apps almost daily.

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:27 am
LocationCOLON Ensconced in my mountain fastness
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:00 am

That's interesting, I agree with you both. I love aps mainly because of the portability and cost (or lack thereof!). I don't play games on my phone or tablet though: are the gyroscopic attitude controls as responsive as a gamepad?

Thom
PostsCOLON 1005
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:59 am

Wasn't someone in this group working on a VASSAL client/server for Crimson Skies? Could something like that easily be ported to an App?
Flying the Crimson Skies

Captain Zee
PostsCOLON 77
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:19 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Fishtail, Montana

Postby Captain Zee » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Thom wroteColonWasn't someone in this group working on a VASSAL client/server for Crimson Skies? Could something like that easily be ported to an App?

Yes, and he just recently posted about it! http://montanaraiders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=656&start=10
Montana Zeppelin & Radio Company

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:09 pm

I'm hoping that MWO becomes popular and might be a prod forward for Crimson Skies to be given a try.

At the very least I'd like to see Micro$oft release the coding for Crimson Skies PC game like they did for a few earlier games.

Heck the PC game could do better if new planes could be added, wouldn't be terribly hard (??) if the coding was allowed out.

Return to