Noobs game report!

General talk for the Wizkids Crimson Skies.
Igor
PostsCOLON 127
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:27 am
LocationCOLON Ensconced in my mountain fastness
CONTACTCOLON

Noobs game report!

Postby Igor » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:48 pm

Thanks to the help of FoxMalcolm, my son and I were able to try our first WizKids Crimson Skies game last weekend. I've posted this on another thread but thought it best to move this battle report to this forum because I'd like to hear comments from others on it.

We played the Aces game, since both of us were curious about how this would go as an RPG. We had fun - which was the main thing - but there were some frustrating things about it.

We started off thinking that the Aces were "heroes" and the token game pieces were the canon fodder since the click system allowed the Aces a number of hits. As it turned out, after Chris had captured Maria (I let him play Nathan Zachary tonight) he found that my token pieces gradually wore him down until the "Leading Man" took him out in two turns because of his "One-two" ability. This seemed to give him a massive attack stat which was out of proportion to his character. I mean even Chuck Norris shouldn't be able to take out a seasoned pirate!

Because we could only move and attack with one piece each turn, this seemed to give it a very "chess" feel to it. This was against Chris' experience with Warhammer where you moved all your game pieces each turn. I wonder if anyone has tried the game that way? I think it would be more "realistic" since it would allow teamwork and tactics as pieces could attack in a phalanx or cover each other more effectively. Instead it seemed to be more "reflexive" as we could really only react to the attacks we were in.

It was still a good game though, I liked the way that all the stats were "onboard" rather than having to be recorded. Perhaps our problem was that we had got some of the rules wrong? We'll try the air combat game this weekend although Chris is planning on staying at his sister's place on Saturday night. I'll let you know how we get on!

Cheers

Igor

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Re: Noobs game report!

Postby Jerba » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:02 pm

Interesting. I've actually never played the Aces game, just the plane game. I need to play the aces game though. I can totally see why you'd want to move everybody, otherwise it'll be too slow. How many pieces did each player use?

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:30 pm

I have never played the clickytech version either.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:40 am

BLASPHEMY!!!

HE INSULTED CHUCK NORRIS!!!!

Oh well, probably too late for him anyway ;) Lol j'k.

I guess I ain't played it, I got the rules/figures, just never bothered.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:18 am

I missed that part! NOBODY can beat Chuck Norris. . . Can't be done!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Igor
PostsCOLON 127
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:27 am
LocationCOLON Ensconced in my mountain fastness
CONTACTCOLON

Postby Igor » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:35 am

Thom wroteColonI missed that part! NOBODY can beat Chuck Norris. . . Can't be done!
C'mon guys. He's just an actor! [Ducks and runs for cover]

Igor

Return to