foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Delightful News ! ! !

Postby foxmalcolm » Sun May 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Cyagen wroteColonI do not need full 3d, the important thing is to get the mechanic and the rules of the games right, and the opportunity to play per email.

No no no, not a play by email, a play in real time!

Also I have been thinking that to make it easier on new players and to keep it simple, most of the rules will be hidden from the player.
For instance movement will be point & click and status bars will light up green to red to indicate chance of success.

Remember this is for the lite version, in the full version it will still be the same but there will be a status bar describing your actions plus there will be the option to take full control and do everything yourself.
I will demonstrate all of this later on with a "fake" screen capture, this will allow the programmer to see what I am trying to do and allow him to code it to suit.

Also you guys can have your say in the development of this too.
The first version will just consist of the base core rules from the box set, later on I will release updates to include each of the supplement books.

Later on I will need a couple of you whose knowledge of the rules is unsurpassed to help beta test and check for bugs.
If you feel you know the rules inside and out and are interested in helping with the beta testing, PM me [please don't bog up the forum with any requests].

StorminWolf wroteColonHmm, wouldn't be my kind of thing, as i don#t like playing Boardgames online or as digital versions

Well then, I think you might be surprised, the lite version I am making first will be less like a boardgame and more like it's own game.
And as a special feature in the full version, I am thinking of having something akin to "action replay" for when the game is finished.
During play all of your actions would be recorded and after play those actions would be generated as a bulleted aerial combat flyby, which you could then save as an AVI file.

Now this last part is on my wish list I will have to see how the experiments pan out.
Worse comes to worst it will just be a serries of still images [but again I think you guys would be happy with that no matter what!

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Sun May 08, 2011 7:24 pm

As an afterthought I wonder if I can include an AI player system?
Will have to inquire . . . .

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Sun May 08, 2011 7:47 pm

A word of (Semi-legal) advice if you will have it. Use a different name rather than the copyrighted name. MegaMek is a virtual translation of BattleTech which was allowed by the copyright holders, but it was made clear that they could not use any copyrighted names, so the words "BattleTech", "'Mech" & "MechWarrior" do not appear anywhere in the MegaMek game, though the game rules and 'Mech names all remain the same.

MegaMek does happen to include an AI allowing players to play against 'Bots, it's a great feature! The AI isn't really all that smart though, the 'bots tend to attack directly with no tactics at all.
Flying the Crimson Skies

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Sun May 08, 2011 8:28 pm

Thats a good thought but for now I won't be bothered by it, currently it has no name.
Later on if I get permission then I will call it what it is with logos and everything, if permission is denied . . . well, then we will see.

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Mon May 09, 2011 6:16 pm

Live playing is nice fox, but I think that an per email option should be offered since the community is so small.

Also CS lends itself to PBEM.

Just my 2 cents, will play the game anyway...
Malphas, over and out

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Mon May 09, 2011 6:59 pm

Really . . . you would waste a program like this on pbem?
Sorry, it is probably just prejudice on my part but why would you want to?
If you were playing chess and you had all the currently available methods for playing why would you play by either email or snail mail for that matter when telephone, internet & chat programs are more easily accessible?

I understand that in the past the only way you could get a game of [FASA] CS at all was to organise a pbem but honestly this will be no different then trying to organise a game of [PC] CS on reverb, co-ordinate a time when everyone is available with the forum then login at that time and away you go.

I'm not saying I won't put in a feature that allows you to do that, honestly I didn't even consider that option . . .

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Tue May 10, 2011 5:36 pm

I am just basing my experience on the various engines for BB and the type of persons that are playing there.

People with jobs and families rarely show up in live games and prefer to play per email since it allwos you to squeaze 10 minutes of play in your life if you do not have 3 hours to invest.

It is only a practical reason since I agree with you that live gaming is much cooler.
Malphas, over and out

Kaffis
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 am

Postby Kaffis » Tue May 17, 2011 1:33 pm

That's something I've been looking for somebody to do for ages, now. Big kudos on the initiative and finding the resources to try to make it happen.

I look forward to following this project and any updates you can give us along the way!

Subject: Delightful News ! ! !
foxmalcolm wroteColonRemember this is for the lite version, in the full version it will still be the same but there will be a status bar describing your actions plus there will be the option to take full control and do everything yourself.
I will demonstrate all of this later on with a "fake" screen capture, this will allow the programmer to see what I am trying to do and allow him to code it to suit.

Also you guys can have your say in the development of this too.

I've always thought that if I were ever in a position to do something like this, I would handle movement by essentially overlaying the maneuver template, oriented properly in relation to the selected aircraft, to assist the player in deciding where to go. It would be a fantastic feature, also, if I could do this for planes that are NOT mine, as a way to predict where I believe they'll maneuver (and preferably temporarily move them there, say, as a translucent ghost image) in order to evaluate move orders of my own.
Last edited by 2 on Kaffis, edited 0 times in total.

Kaffis
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 am

Postby Kaffis » Tue May 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Cyagen wroteColonFox, maybe, if the project go on track, you should use the Blood Bowl play per email program as an example (not the recent PC game, the fan developed tool).

I'm not familiar with the Blood Bowl program you're talking about, but I recently ran across a small independent project (designed by the creator of X-COM, no less!) called Frozen Synapse which could provide some directional inspiration, as well. It's got a very inventive (though, admittedly, server-based) system by which players can play in real time OR asynchronously, with moves submitted to the server, and optional email alerts notifying you when games have new turns ready.

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Tue May 24, 2011 4:09 am

Fox, excellent news, you're doing an amazing thing for Crimson Skies and keeping it alive!

Return to