Reinstalled PC Game - Visual Glitches

Generally speaking it is quite general.
Phoenix
PostsCOLON 164
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Reinstalled PC Game - Visual Glitches

Postby Phoenix » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:55 am

Okay, so I just installed CS on my new laptop (running Windows 7, with an Nividia NVS 3100M graphics card), and I'm having some visual glitches. Once the game was installed I was given the choice of which video device to use and was presented with two options, software or accelerator. I chose accelerator, and upon booting up, I've found that some menu text is rendered as multicolored pixels, usually multicolored boxes. This appears on the title screen at the bottom, and in the menu when I go to set my controls. As you can imagine, this is a pretty big problem, since I can't set controls (I have no idea which controls I'm setting) and I don't know if there are any other glitches just waiting to appear once the game itself begins. From perusing this forum, it appears that using software rendering mode (whatever that is) might fix the problem (and I assume this was the software option I was offered) and I'm wondering how to go about changing it back (if I can). The game is patched to 1.02, and I never had this problem on my old comp (Windows XP, Radeon X1550 graphics card).

Any ideas?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
"Is it heavy?" "Yes." "Then it's expensive - put 'em back." -Jurassic Park
With me surprises are rarely unexpected. - Any Pink Panther movie

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Reinstalled PC Game - Visual Glitches

Postby Thom » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:47 am

Silly question, but have you checked the graphics settings on the laptop?
Flying the Crimson Skies

Phoenix
PostsCOLON 164

Postby Phoenix » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:55 pm

Not yet. Any idea what I should be looking for?

rayvtirx
PostsCOLON 151
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:16 pm
LocationCOLON Bristol,England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby rayvtirx » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:23 pm

did you try the nvidia fix?

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:23 am

Phoenix wroteColonNot yet. Any idea what I should be looking for?

Truthfully I have zero experience with Win 7 so I really don't know HOW graphics works with that OS. But with XP (And my ATI Catalyst Control Center) I have a ton of options on the PC side before tinkering with the game options. . . I right click on the desktop and select either CCC or properties.
Flying the Crimson Skies

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:06 am

The problem lies in the drivers for your graphics card . . . well all modern cards really.
The various manufacturers broke their backwards computability just so they can gain a 2% performance boost.
A lot of gamers [not just those playing Crimson Skies] find that their old games have various amounts of data corruption, visual errors, etc.
The problem is that all these old titles use NonPowerOf2Textures and the newer cards no longer recognise this as they use an unlimited support for NonPower2 textures.
It doesn't mean that they can't perform correctly, it means that they have a programming error, that's all there is to it.
If you have/use an Nvidia card install the fix for it [rayvitrix has uploaded several variants to his website] if you use ATI . . . well you could try one of the fixes available but it may not work, it hasn't for me.
In my case I went back to my old software rendering fix and I am happy with that.

Phoenix
PostsCOLON 164

Postby Phoenix » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:44 pm

Anything I should know about these fixes ahead of time? Anything I need to do, or not do? And just to check, are we sure that rayvtirx's copies are clean?
No viruses or anything? I hate to be paranoid, but I've had some bad luck with viruses when it comes to getting game mods off the internet.

rayvtirx
PostsCOLON 151
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:16 pm
LocationCOLON Bristol,England
CONTACTCOLON

Postby rayvtirx » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:05 pm

i ran clamav just the other day - unnecessary as its a linux box and i put it there myself.
scan it before you unzip it if you like to be sure
as is said here its not forced to work, but has sorted the problem for loads of other people.
its not "my" fix, i didnt make it i originally got this and the ati fix which i use from a link on the then reverb gaming forum,unfortunately all the boards seem to have disappeared from there since it became digital blood sports

stanislaw101
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:08 am

Postby stanislaw101 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:28 pm

monsterZERO
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:04 am

Postby monsterZERO » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:22 pm

I use an HD 5850 which just does not work with Crimson Skies no matter what I do. I wanted to play the game so badly that I just ordered a cheap nVidia card off amazon (an 8400 for like 20 bucks) and now it runs beautifully. Whenever I want to play CS (which is all the time now, lol) I just swap my monitor cable over.

Return to