Generally speaking it is quite general.
captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON CYWG

I hat e the first Hollywood mission.

Postby captnmartin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:06 pm

Honestly, every Hollywood mission with Autogyros inspires hate from me. But that first one... Those autogyros are MURDER ON WINGS. They outturn everything, they can keep pace with most planes, and they're immune to the choker rocket (stupid autogyro blades). Then, once you're finished dealing with them, a wave of Fury's sweeps in to ruin your day. So at this point, your're in the red everywhere, your engine sounds like it's firin on 3 out of 8 pistons, nearly out of rockets, and then 5 Firebrands show up. Now Firebrands are jokes in this game, but you're fighting with one hand behind your back, on bloody stumps for legs, wearing a loin cloth and holding a butter knife. The Knights have AK-47s and are sitting in Tanks.

I get the impression the mission designer thought to himself 'Hmmm, how can I most screw over the player? I Know! Autogyros! Useless Wingmen that get shot down within 5 seconds of engaging the autogyros! Then a squadron of Furys, then some Firebrands when the player thinks they are in the clear.

The Spruce goose mission is no picnic either. The third time through I was ready to shoot the damn thing out of the air myself, what with Betty whining at me "One more Engine and I'll be going down in flames".

Oh, and for reference, 18 tries to beat the first Hollywood mission. "Would you like to skip this Mission" seems like such an insult after you plowed your a/c into the ground because you stalled just prior to saving the actress from her car.

Knuckleduster
PostsCOLON 10
JoinedCOLON Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:17 am

Re: I hat e the first Hollywood mission.

Postby Knuckleduster » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:00 pm

I hear you. That mission sucks. But I never had much of a problem with the planes. They're no picnic, but my problem is doing the mission while completing the stunts. Because I want to do it with style, but I screw up some of the easiest ones.

Here's a tip. Give your wingman a new plane. I don't know how fancy they get. I don't think I've ever seen a wingman use a rocket, myself, but I gave Jack a brigand with two hard points, and front and rear 60 cal guns. It gives them a lot of hitting power.

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:54 pm

I just wish the moron would know how to get an autogyro off his tail. Like I said, the wingman is good for 5 seconds of bullet protection, and that is it.

Some of the stunts in CS are too hard as well. Especially in cockpit view. I've managed to do some of them, but others, I look at it, and go, NOPE, not worth losing the mission over.

Knuckleduster
PostsCOLON 10

Postby Knuckleduster » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:16 pm

A 70 cal rear autofire turret does wonders for keeping people off your tail.

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:45 pm

And now I have found a new mission to hate. Stupid Booth mission in Sky Haven.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE.

1) Force Player to Use Autogyro
2) Put PLayer up against Brigands (2 Per Location searched)
3) Put Booth In Autogyro
4) Bring down MORE Brigands (4)
5) Have the black Swan be completely ineffectual at taking out enemy planes.
6) Have the Pandora do Jack all instead of blowing the Brigands to Smithereens.
7) Make sure that shooting down Booth doesn't win the mission, destroying all the Brigands ends the mission. Oh, and they all have turrets, so the Autogyros maneuverability is completely negated.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:31 pm

I must say that of all the missions the Hollywood missions are the most fun.
I love them, never really had any real trouble completing them, but then again the first aspect of the game that I latched onto was barnstorming.
If you are having trouble with the missions I can show you a video of how to complete them quick and easily . . . .
I remember when I first did them the first few flights ended badly but you just have to approach them thinking two steps ahead, if you pre-plan your actions then you can easily anticipate what they do next and be ready for them.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:46 pm

The best thing to remember about being in a hoplite is that you are lighter and faster than any other aircraft in the game.
The worst thing to remember about being in a hoplite is that you are lighter and faster than any other aircraft in the game.

A common mistake newbie players make when using the hoplite is that they treat it as an airplane, DON"T DO THAT!
The best hoplite in the multiplayer combats is a "zero" [ie, a plane with no armour] if you dodge and weave around then there is almost no way that the enemy can lock-on to you, you don't need armour.

Some things you can do to increase your survivability is:
[1] Never fly in a straight line, if you have to fly from a to b then fly up, down, left, right, etc
[2] Take advantage of the incredible stall speed of a hoplite to hover for short periods inside of structures [this way you can shoot them as they fly by]
[3] Never approach the front or rear of an enemy aircraft, always take them from the top or from below [this way their turret has trouble locking-on to you]
[4] And remember to take your finger off the trigger, short quick bursts is the key [it's not like you have a lot of ammunition]

* * * The only thing I hate about that particular Sky Haven Duel is that you can't pick your own hoplite * * * GRrrrr!

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:51 pm

And while we are adding pet hates about particular missions . . . . then my voice rises to indite all the Manhattan missions, not because they are difficult but because of hardware conflicts in my graphics card mean that all the buildings appear 2-3 plane lengths in front of me. . . DUM-DE-dum-dum . . ARGH!! look out for the building! . . . WOAH/CRASH/SCRAPE . . . Whew I can't believe we are still flying . . . CRASH!BOOM!!!!! Fatal Crash :lol:

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:20 am

Adding insult to injury is the difficulty settings...

Normal
Hard
Hardest.

Knuckleduster
PostsCOLON 10

Postby Knuckleduster » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:08 pm

Ugh! That hoplite mission SUUUUUUUUUUCKS. I hate it so much, and don't look forward to it.

Good tips though!

Return to