CS Aircraft Carriers

For anything not in the above. Ground combat/personal combat. Anything to do with CS, but not already covered.
Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: CS Aircraft Carriers

Postby Thom » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:19 am

If we go back to the floating aircraft island concept, a ship that large need never come to port if it is tended by a support fleet and/or an airship! It can hide out in the North Sea acting as a mobile base for several raiding flights. If it does have to port for some reason, then it could do so under cover of night, slipping into it's secret fjord, then hidden with camouflage netting.

As for concrete ships. There are a number of concrete sailboats and a few concrete barges here in the San Juan Islands where I live now, not real common, but certainly not uncommon either. Most of the floats on our county docks are concrete for that matter.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:48 pm

Thom wroteColonIf we go back to the floating aircraft island concept, a ship that large need never come to port if it is tended by a support fleet and/or an airship! It can hide out in the North Sea acting as a mobile base for several raiding flights. If it does have to port for some reason, then it could do so under cover of night, slipping into it's secret fjord, then hidden with camouflage netting.

This is the reason I could never see pirate organization using such a thing, only a national government... and then only one that can dredge up >$12,500,000 dollars* in period currency (the rough purchase price of a Fletcher class destroyer) to fund the hull alone, and which possesses a location suitable to build it, the technology to maintain it, and the manpower to crew it. Only Great Britain manages to fit this requirement, or perhaps a 'Scandinavian Alliance' arising as a new power in the face of the calamity surrounding them.

I've never actually seen an actual concrete vessel (that I am aware of, anyway) though I have seen several canoes made of it. They are a popular engineering project for colleges, and I have lived near one college campus or another most of my life. I just knew that there were efforts during both World Wars to build merchants with alternative materials, and concrete was one of the more successful ideas. It seemed just realistic enough to manage, while just far enough to one side of reality to make things feel alien.

*This was an estimated cost for the vessel's hull- it would certainly be much higher once you figured in the ships fitting out, the labor costs, the project overruns, etc.
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:30 am

Ooohh! (Please pardon the sound of grinding gears and the sight of smoke coming from my head!)

What if. . . Hilter and the Nazi party, maneuvering things in secret without the Kaisers knowledge, manage foot the bill for Scandinavian pirates (Or Germans disguised as Scandinavians) to build their Pykrete floating island. They would conduct targets strikes in the UK and commerce raiding on the British, or anyone else traveling the North Atlantic. This would be to create a pretext to eventually justify a German invasion of their northern neighbors. . . .

Heh heh heh, I love it!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:39 am

Going that route, I'd see it more as:
Thinking ahead, Hitler quietly has several dozen of the most powerful Nazi backers begin construction of the giant carrier in 'an undisclosed location.' When war breaks out in '39 Hitler has a 'giant floating island of ice and death' sitting in the North Atlantic, staffed by pirates and mercs loyal to his cause and tasked with cutting off England. It is up to the nations of North America (sans the ISA, who will initially back Germany) to somehow capture this beast and set on a course for the 'little latitudes' so it will melt away... or capture it and use it for their own devices.
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Return to