CS Aircraft Carriers

For anything not in the above. Ground combat/personal combat. Anything to do with CS, but not already covered.
Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: CS Aircraft Carriers

Postby Thom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:39 am

I have toyed with the carrier-sub concept in general terms, but I have never really tried to apply it to the game.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:44 pm

Carrier subs have to exists, it is too cool not to be CS.

In my book, the Japaneeses were the ones with 2 or 3 of these babies. 2 small (6-12 planes) and one big one (30 planes). Let us give them credit, they had them in WW2, put could only carry 1 to 2 float planes.

But I never tried to "rule them up".
Malphas, over and out

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:54 am

There is another thread somewhere around here about real world subcarriers. There were a few, they really did exist, but not to the scale of the British sub in the video game.

I totally agree though, they absolutely belong in Crimson Skies! It is one of many things that needs to be further developed for the genre!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Postby Jerba » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:05 pm

Thom wroteColonThere is another thread somewhere around here about real world subcarriers. There were a few, they really did exist, but not to the scale of the British sub in the video game.

I totally agree though, they absolutely belong in Crimson Skies! It is one of many things that needs to be further developed for the genre!

Link to one such thread *Has Pics* http://www.montanaraiders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=384

Dragonjaj
PostsCOLON 22
JoinedCOLON Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:04 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Postby Dragonjaj » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:55 am

It be hard to sata out but size and crew and wing complament id say it be about the langth of a akilo class 3x with, a crew of 1600 and a about 2-3 squardrens about 40-60 planes

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:06 pm

*dusts off necromancer's robe*

WOW... I really missed a good one here.

Because of the reliance on zeps and the amount of money built on them, I see the nations of North America having smaller and more affordable naval carriers. Think ships like the Zuiho, Colossus or Independence classes... ships that would have airgroups more on par with the size of the zep carriers.
Additionally, the slow dissolution of the British Empire and the breakup of the United States mean that the 'economic muscle' to maintain large groups of fleet carriers is not going to be as present in the world of Crimson Skies. This means that big carriers like the Essex class are going to be a lot fewer and farther between... if they ever appear at all!

I see the Confederacy building up a decent-sized fleet of naval vessels (for a nation her size, anyway) because of the dependance on overseas trade. These vessels will include some of the ships 'acquired' through the seizure of Norfolk/Newport News, but many will be smaller and less expensive designs that come about after 1930.

I had actually designed several vessels for the CoD way back when... might be fun for me to get back into it.
To those who wish to design naval vessels for their nation, I point you to these locations:
Springsharp Ship Design Program
Wesworld Design Rules for Gentlemen
Wesworld Carrier and Submarine Design Rules
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Densoman2
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Postby Densoman2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:26 am

Guys I remember reading about an aircraft carrier that was made out of wood chips and ice, or at least the test was made out of that. That sounds like really
something for a CS universe. I think you could make it a mobile zep hanger as well.

Just something to push the envelope.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:55 am

Created in 1943, it was called Pykrete, and named for it's inventor Geoffrey Pyke. Durring WWII, Pyke built one of the most durable ship substances in history. Legend has it that one of his test boats (Floating target really) was shelled for four days and it remained unsunk, then it was finally left to melt, it took months! Fresh water and 14% long fiber saw dust, fitted with refrigeration piping proved to be very strong, and easily repairable. The Habbakuk was a prepposed carrier that would have been the largest ship ever made, over 2000 feet long for loaded bombers to take off and land, with a rudder more than 100 feet high. It would have displaced 2.2 million tons, and carried 150 fighters or bombers, but it was never built though. One of the smaller prototypes was built however, then abandoned, it took THREE YEARS to melt!

If properly built with wood or steel beams to prevent hogging or flexing, there is no reason that a large carrier should not last for dozens of years. As long as you have power to drive the refrigeration compressors, it should remain frozen in all but the hottest climates, and even then you have more than enough safety factor to go back and forth across the equator dozens of times before it showed any significant melting damage and that can be easily repaired when you get to a more temperate climate.

However, Pykrete not as cheap to make as you might think, unless you have access to fresh water in a polar region. The British reluctantly abandoned the Pykrete ship concept for exactly that reason.

From a Crimson Skies point of view, northern nations like Canada, Russia or a Scandinavian country would be better able to afford to build one than any southern nation which would need a HUGE refrigerated structure to build it in. An excellent concept and tough as hell.

Great idea Tony!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:34 am

Considering the fragmentation of Canada, building Habbakuk might not be as easy. Remember, she was to be built at the south end of Hudson's Bay... and that is now an international border of questionable stability. :( This complicates the construction a bit. Additionally, she is a massive, expensive vessel- the kind of expense not justifiable outside of wartime. She
d have been 2,000 feet long, 300 feet across the beam and 200 feet in depth with hangar capacity for 200 Spitfire fighters or 100 Mosquito bombers. Her complement was to have been 404 officers and 3,216 petty officers and men, and she would have displacement around 2,000,000 tons. Top speed would have been just over 7 knots, and fuel usage just over 120 tons/day.

She is definitely worthy of Crimson Skies... but would anyone in Crimson Skies had the pocketbooks necessary to build her?
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

stormwell
PostsCOLON 102
JoinedCOLON Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:49 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Postby stormwell » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:02 am

IIRC the Pykrete carriers were suggested to carry B-29 Super-Fortresses so that the island hopping campaign in the Pacific wouldn't be needed.

Return to