Confederate Naval Vessels

For anything not in the above. Ground combat/personal combat. Anything to do with CS, but not already covered.
Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Re: Confederate Naval Vessels

Postby Carthaginian » Thu May 30, 2013 4:40 am

Thom wroteColonI love the landing craft!

Yeah... gotta get ready to retake Louisiana when France turns her back. 8-)

More 'Phibs and Merchies to come...
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Fri May 31, 2013 6:13 am

Carthaginian wroteColonShe is in most desperate need of a drydock or she'll wind up like the Cerberus down in your part of the world.

Wow :shock:
I am utterly amazed that you even knew about her!
Unlike other places across the globe, when an old warhorse nears the end of her life we tend not to fully scrap them.
If a ship was used to defend our shores we tend to give them one last assignment . . . continue to defend our shores.
Most of our breakwaters are made up of old warships plus the occasional torpedoed merchant ship
As for the Cerberus, I live near the bay where she resides, I have walked by the area she was scuttled in many times but have never gone out there myself.
I have heard there have been numerous proposals to raise her based on the fact that she is more or less intact despite being immersed in water for almost a century.
But last I heard all of these proposals were eventually dismissed, the current plan is just to slow the rate of decay as much as possible.
Hopefully your ship will fair better at the hands of politicians then ours did.

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223

Postby Carthaginian » Fri May 31, 2013 6:53 am

foxmalcolm wroteColon
Carthaginian wroteColonShe is in most desperate need of a drydock or she'll wind up like the Cerberus down in your part of the world.

Wow :shock:
I am utterly amazed that you even knew about her!
Unlike other places across the globe, when an old warhorse nears the end of her life we tend not to fully scrap them.
If a ship was used to defend our shores we tend to give them one last assignment . . . continue to defend our shores.

I know about a great many of those grand old ladies. Australia- and the varrious territorial fleets- had some really cool dhips. The HMVS Albert and the other flatiron gunboats were cool little vessels. I could see a free Confederacy having many ships like that.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223

Postby Carthaginian » Fri May 31, 2013 8:05 am

More now that I have time. Cerberus was one of the most inovative vessels of her day. She was a powerfully armed ship with excellent armor protection and free of all need for th wind to fight. She and the other breastwork monitors of the Victorian era are among the most important ships that no ones knows about.

Return to