Location Questions

For anything not in the above. Ground combat/personal combat. Anything to do with CS, but not already covered.
Khy
PostsCOLON 42
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:18 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Location Questions

Postby Khy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:07 am

Hey, all, I was wondering if any of you might know of some places in southern Nevada that might be good to base a pirate group out of.

My pirate band, Cold Blue Steel, is running raids out of Dixie (Ashdown, Arkansas) against Texas and the Collective but is likely going to have to move real soon for purposes of survival, especially if they get their hands on a zep. I've considered a lot of places, including the Cascade mountains, Mexico, Alaska, Montana, the Colorado Rockies or Arixo in which we could set up but eventually my search led me to the southern tip of the Disputed Western Territories (Southern Nevada) as the most strategically located and possibly least-used (Montana's already been claimed ;) ) location for raiding into the Southwest.

If any of you have been to Nevada, particularly the area where the Mojave Desert and the mountain chains intersect, would you mind sharing some info on the area? Also, in this case, are there any particular hill/mountain systems you think would be best for housing a bunch of raiders?

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Location Questions

Postby Grant » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Not real sure. I know a few guys from that area, I might ask them if they've got any good spots/tips on area :D

Got a writeup for your band? Heck the name just sounds good, :D

Captain Zee
PostsCOLON 77
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:19 am
LocationCOLON Fishtail, Montana

Postby Captain Zee » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Area 51 [tehe] :lol:
Montana Zeppelin & Radio Company

Khy
PostsCOLON 42
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:18 am

Postby Khy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:25 pm

No bounties on my band that I know of yet but I have no doubt they'll start happening soon, especially once the Air Rangers find out that little dead-of-night attack on their base and the theft of two of their planes during combat (giving us a 6-on-4 advantage, as well as an Anvil and a Rifleman) by a pair of pilot-dropping, signature blue-chrome aircraft, wasn't a Unionist attack (it was a complete accident but it occurred between 12 AM and 2 AM aaaand after magnesium-popping one of their planes, one of our leads started singing the bits of the Star-Spangled Banner that talked about exploding rockets; Phoenix and I only realized afterwards that this might very well be construed as a Unionist attack) and given that on our previous encounters with them we've ended up stripping captured pilots of their planes and badges/stars and sending them back to Amarillo (or just tying them to a chair in a place where their comrades will eventually find them) naked as the day they were born. The group leader has just a wee bit of a vendetta with the Air Rangers... Unless you were talking about some other sort of writeup...

Hm... Area 51... I'll actually have to ask Phoe about that. If the Skunkworks platform and the old military testing facilities there already exist, it might be a really good idea! :D

Thom
PostsCOLON 1005
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:07 am

Captain Zee wroteColonArea 51 [tehe] :lol:

You know, Groom Lake might not be a bad idea at all, large dry lake bed, a perfect runway for take off and landing in any direction. Dig some hangers into the hill side and camouflage the doors, and you have it made in the desert, Area 51 before there was an Area 51. . .

It was a perfect place for the USAF and the CIA for many years, should work just fine for a pirate base!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Captain Zee
PostsCOLON 77

Postby Captain Zee » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm glad you all like the idea (I was just kidding, but if you like it...). There's not that much info about Area 51 or Groom Lake before the 1940's (when it became known), let alone if Skunkworks even existed yet. But some research should answer some of those questions :ugeek:

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:43 pm

Just as a point of ref. I remember from when I was a teenager and absolutely fascinated by this stuff, that there was a large array of silver mines crisscrossing Groom Lake [Area 51] as late as the 1920's.
If ever there was a good spot to set up a concealed pirate base it would be in and around these.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1005
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:15 am

The USAAC, and then the USAAF began using the Groom Lake dry bed in 1941 as a training site for touch and go landings with the West Coast Air Corps Training Center out of Las Vegas Air Field. It was not until 1955 that the CIA and the Lockheed Skunkworks began to develop "Area 51" and use it as a base for developing the U2 and later other experimental aircraft. So it is as yet untapped in the CS timeline for your needs. Fox is absolutely correct in that there were a number of sliver claims in the area, but most of them were long inactive by that time.

So in the current CS timeline, it is absolutely perfect for your needs, and there will never be a USAAC or USAF to move into the area in the future.

Of trivial interest that has nothing to do with Crimson Skies, at some point, shortly after WWII and before the CIA took over, there was some underground testing of nuclear devices in that general area and in 1957 they officially opened the Yucca Flats nuclear testing facility not very far away, for both above and below ground testing of atomic bombs. Today they still have occasional radiation fallout alerts at Area 51 as a result and have had to completely abandon the base a few times when radiation storms peaked. There are a lot of theories as to why the radiation levels and fallout fluctuate so much, but there has never been an official statement for a problem that has never been officially acknowledged to exist.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:12 pm

and rename the pirate group: The Greys....
Malphas, over and out

Captain Zee
PostsCOLON 77

Postby Captain Zee » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Cyagen wroteColonand rename the pirate group: The Greys....

:lol: It took me awhile to get that one!

The great thing about Groom Lake is that all it is (as we know it at this time) is a big, dry lake in the desert. Even without runways its as good a place to land a wheeled aircraft or hurt zeppelin, or you could do as the US did: make it a big, dry lake with pavement on it! :mrgreen:

Return to