Gyros and stress

For questions on something you are confused on?
smoto
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:37 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Gyros and stress

Postby smoto » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:40 am

Gyros only push when they attempt to redline, so if they fail the push and random movement then happens,
they don't suffer stress fracture..?
I've just started useing a Bird Dog in our weekly flight, and am wondering if anyone here has come across this before.
if this is true then gyros seem alot more viable than we thought.
any ideas.?

Phoenix
PostsCOLON 164
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Re: Gyros and stress

Postby Phoenix » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:49 pm

This is the way I read the rules - I might not be right, but this is what it seems like to me. According to Wings Over Manhattan, "Autogyros ignore all G restrictions, meaning they never have to push the Gs, even for restricted maneuvers". Since they don't have to push, there's no chance of failing and suffering random movement and stress fractures. Autogyros do redline the engine normally, so if a push for speed or acceleration fails, then they would suffer a stress fracture to the nose as standard. It's not clear what happens if an autogyro stalls (pushes deceleration); however, there are no flaps on the autogyro damage diagram, and it says that "an autogyro pilot may choose any maneuver within his movement range", so I would guess that autogyros do not need to roll to push decel.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
"Is it heavy?" "Yes." "Then it's expensive - put 'em back." -Jurassic Park
With me surprises are rarely unexpected. - Any Pink Panther movie

Return to