questions

For questions on something you are confused on?
johnny gaijin
PostsCOLON 32
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:22 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

questions

Postby johnny gaijin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:41 pm

hello everybody!

just started playing crimson skies for the first time since the game came out and i've got a few questions.

rockets. does each plane carry 8 hardpoints worth of rockets? and all rockets can be fired at once this seems over powered as it pretty much guarantees that the first plane to fire is going to destroy it's target.

duration. how long does the average game last? the first two games i played three of us used one plane each and it took about 1 1/2 hours total. which would mean that using 2 planes each would be almost 3 hours... is that about normal?

campaigns. the rules talk about assigning experience points and what not but all the campaigns have skills already statted out. if you use your own pilots how do you know if the battle is going to evenly matched?

grant. i assume you live in montana? i grew up in kalispell so at least there were a few other nerds i could play games with. got out as soon as i could though.

grandpapanurgle i skimmed your campaign rules you have on your website but was hoping you could explain the general idea to me. are the players in competition or do they work together. is there an ultimate goal? can you win?

thanks!

Jester
PostsCOLON 57
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:50 am
LocationCOLON Western Australia

Re: questions

Postby Jester » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:04 am

Welcome to the forums.

johnny gaijin wroteColonrockets. does each plane carry 8 hardpoints worth of rockets? and all rockets can be fired at once this seems over powered as it pretty much guarantees that the first plane to fire is going to destroy it's target.

Behind the Crimson Veil introduces a rather strange rules retcon sort of thing which basically specifies an aircraft has a number of hardpoints equal to 11 - Base to Hit Number. This works quite well because it means the more agile a plane can be the less firepower it has. So while your Warhawks and Vampires still carry a devastating load of rockets, they're less likely to be sitting in a good firing position.

Note that this means a Base 1 plane has 10 hardpoints, while a Base 10 plane gets 1 hardpoint.

There are number of house rules though, so you can work out your own way of limiting the rockets. I would recommend basing it of the plane's base to hit number though.

johnny gaijin wroteColonduration. how long does the average game last? the first two games i played three of us used one plane each and it took about 1 1/2 hours total. which would mean that using 2 planes each would be almost 3 hours... is that about normal?

It is highly variable. 1 and 1/2 to 3 hours is probably what I'd expect a game to last with two or three players using two planes each.

johnny gaijin wroteColoncampaigns. the rules talk about assigning experience points and what not but all the campaigns have skills already statted out. if you use your own pilots how do you know if the battle is going to evenly matched?

You don't. However you still have the total experience points invested in each pilot, so as long as each team has an equal amount of experience across all their pilots they should be roughly balanced. Crimson Skies in my experience is a very fickle game though, so it's quite difficult to balance, and is generally better to just enjoy the game than to get competitive.
4L3C - 4R3E

johnny gaijin
PostsCOLON 32

Postby johnny gaijin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:27 am

wow, thanks for the quick reply!

regarding campaigns i was planning on running a DnD style campaign where i would play all the "bad guys" and my friends would play their self generated characters. any tips on balancing this kind of thing?

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:08 am

Welcome to the madhouse!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:48 am

johnny gaijin wroteColonregarding campaigns i was planning on running a DnD style campaign where i would play all the "bad guys" and my friends would play their self generated characters. any tips on balancing this kind of thing?

It goes down to the XP points and where you invest them. A 750 pts bad guy that invest them mainly in NT, SS and Con is going to be a lot softer than a QD, DE and SH one.

The planes also matter. Although which plane you fly is mainly a matter of taste and playing style, there are sub-optimal designs (devastator, bloodhawk,...) and optimal ones (Bandit, Firestorm, Wind Saber).

You also need to match the plane with the pilot. A guy with a lot of NT flying a Vampire is not going to be optimaly effective. Put him in a Valliant and he is now much more dangerous.

Finally the way you play the bad guys will also matter. Will you try to kill them all, Paranoia style or put the kiddy gloves?

Your idea got a lot of potential, keep us posted on that.
Malphas, over and out

johnny gaijin
PostsCOLON 32

Postby johnny gaijin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:41 pm

my plan right now is to have most of the bad guys be highly unskilled. probably just give them a 3 in each skill and then not have them attempt "push" maneuvers. just fly w/in the capabilities of their plane. this will make them easier to predict (and therefore easier to kill) and also make it easier for me to prep and have control over multiple airplanes. run ins w/ "characters" like the black swan or whatever will be played normally w/ full skill points and skill.

Return to