It's been a while - views on Zeppelins?

Area for players to include zeppelin rules or their own creations.
feggula
PostsCOLON 32
JoinedCOLON Mon May 28, 2012 1:22 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

It's been a while - views on Zeppelins?

Postby feggula » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi all,

It's been a while, so I was wondering, has anyone played around with the Zeppelins and Bombers supplement (specifically about Zeppelins) and if so, thoughts, views, mods, etc?
We've played a few games and based on our experiences with previous systems that we created and found, we have modified a few things.

Firstly we had taken an extreme liking to the SMOC v2 files that were posted before Patrick posted the Z&B supplement, so we use a different Zeppelin shape, which naturally means new fire arcs and a new zeppelin diagram. To be honest, the size and shape from the SMOC files just makes so much more sense to me.
Construction is relatively unchanged for us. Our main difference is that a zeppelin can carry an amount of gondolas equal to its centre-line hexes (which ranges from 3-6 depending on zeppelin size) and it can carry a wide variety of different gondola types. You also place the gondolas on the zeppelin so that they can be targetted. This gives zeppelins a lot of flexibility and means that you really have to think about the roles of your zeppelin. Gondolas count on our zeppelins!

So, in the book the Imperial Class Zeppelin is listed as having 2 gondolas. For us, it has 6 (4 passenger, 1 hangar and 1 bridge). This then gives a real feel for the amount of cargo and passengers the ship can carry, none of which is needed for combat, but plenty needed for fluff.

And then we have a ton of additional traits, like double hulls, water pontoons and the like, just to spice things up.

We've played about three games with zeppelins, but unfortunately not yet any zeppelin vs zeppelin games, and it's sweet. Well, so we think!

Anyone had any excitement with this?

Thom
PostsCOLON 1004
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: It's been a while - views on Zeppelins?

Postby Thom » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:22 am

I have not, no one local willing to play Crimson Skies anymore. :(

But it doesn't stop me from loving the genre!
Flying the Crimson Skies

feggula
PostsCOLON 32

Postby feggula » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:30 am

I'm sorry to hear that, it's a right bugger isn't it? I don't have that so much with Crimson Skies, but I do with Renegade Legion, the group used to love it and now? Pah, don't want to give it the time of day!

Thom
PostsCOLON 1004
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:36 pm

Yeah, right now with our gaming group, it's D&D or Munchkin and nothing else interests them.
Flying the Crimson Skies

feggula
PostsCOLON 32

Postby feggula » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:50 am

Fortunately Crimson Skies hits that pulp feel and a genre that our group loves is pulp. So while we don't play religiously, we have a constant with pulp. We play in a slightly different universe where World War 2 didn't happen as Hitler disappeared but the Russians are the big bad, with Stalin and his pals plaguing the world with their science, soldiers and supernatural ideas. So the group is a mixed bag officially from the Natural History Museums of Britain and New York, but in reality are a bag of troubleshooters sent to retrieve stuff, find things and avert war. Think Indiana Jones, Tomb Raider, Tales of the Golden Monkey and a few things along that line and you won't be far wrong. Somehow we seem to have hit a sweet spot!

Return to