Africa or the Med?

Got history/background for a region in CS? let us know. (Also includes re-interpretations of Canon if you wish)
Densoman2
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Africa or the Med?

Postby Densoman2 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 pm

OfaloafNASB wroteColonCould the Sultanate of Zanzibar be a potential locale of use? Historically, it was a British protectorate during the CS era, but it maintained some autonomy and the sultans had a history of sticking it to the Brits and having far more pride than was healthy as rulers of Zanibar, Pemba and a few other islands and ports.

I really like this idea. Do you have any ideas on the Sultanate secretly backing the pirate on Madagascar or maybe they should be backing him. I really like using this and will gladly use any story line you want to add. If not I will develop what
I can. I really like your idea.

Sincerely,
Tony

PS: When I start a new thread I will add both yours and Thom's ideas, and we can go from there.

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 pm

Densoman2 wroteColonI really like this idea. Do you have any ideas on the Sultanate secretly backing the pirate on Madagascar or maybe they should be backing him. I really like using this and will gladly use any story line you want to add. If not I will develop what
I can. I really like your idea.

There is a VERY famous example of just what you suggest.
North Carolina had a very 'special' relationship with pirates early on...
Blackbeard and Bath While not as 'official' as popular history makes it out to be, Blackbeard and Eden had a proven relationship involving 'not so legal' goods and the town benefited from Blackbeard's occasional hauls.

Zanzabar could have a relationship like this with one (or several) pirate gangs... providing safe haven in exchange for the business that trading with the pirates would bring the area (not to mention a few well-greased palms). It would provide the nation with funding to maintain its own independence, and if skillfully played, could even allow the government to profit twice- once by protection fees from shippers willing to pay them, and again from the plunder the pirates take from the shippers who refuse.
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:12 am

Excellent idea! The stable Sultanate could gain a lot of regional power when dealing with other nations if Madagascar remained tied up in chaos. By secretly offering support to several (perhaps even competing) factions, he gains the the ability to fence their loot and continuously keep Madagascar in chaos. I love it!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Densoman2
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Postby Densoman2 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:46 am

Ok guys from here on out, the work on the Africa Sourcebook will be under the General FASA Discussion.

Thanks,
Tony

Return to