SW News: Republic of Texas annexes State of Laredo

Got history/background for a region in CS? let us know. (Also includes re-interpretations of Canon if you wish)
Patrick
PostsCOLON 195
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:24 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Re: SW News: Republic of Texas annexes State of Laredo

Postby Patrick » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:21 pm

Circling back to Texas and Mexico (I'll reply to the Deseret stuff in the linked thread above), I too like the idea of getting Germany and Spain involved.

Here's a couple of "what ifs" that came to my mind as I've been reading the responses.

Germany could be in it to work both sides of the border. They are currently (as of Zeppelins & Bombers) considering selling bombers to Texas to shore up their own inventory, an order that would make sense if another war with Mexico was brewing for Texas. They (Texas) have the smallest bomber force of any major nation in North America (cited in Z&B).

However, considering Germany's ties to Mexico, I could also see them selling Mexico the same thing. If this was me, I would probably throw German mercenaries into the concept, working for one or both sides, like the "Hessians" from the Revolutionary War. I could even see a major border conflict between Texas and Mexico echo the Spanish troubles in 1936, where larger, better equipped countries used their land to combat test their own weapons.

Spain's part to play could be to support Mexico, or to covertly try to undermine their Mexican allies with the idea of recolonizing the embattled country. I think imperial-minded nations are few in far between in CS due to isolationism and the current (1937) political landscapes across the world, so this might just be me thinking out loud. In my mind only Japan is actively trying to expand its borders and consume other nations. Most of the others are defending what they see as their borders and/or glorified saber rattling.

If WWII broke out in Mexico, I think Texas would not appreciate the endgame. I suppose it would depend on which nations threw in with which other nations, but either way, having a heavy military presence from multiple nations right on the Texas border would be more than they could handle, and both sides of the Rio Grande would suffer from the destruction.

All just my opinion, of course. I haven't thought this much about the CS geopolitical climate in more than a decade. :)

Patrick

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:06 am

Excellent ideas Patrick. Seeing Germany take the merchants view of war makes good sense to me. Selling bombers to both sides, perhaps slightly cheaper to their Mexican allies, and even Hessian mercenaries to the highest bidder. I could easily envision German "Military Advisers" and training cadre's being stationed in Mexico. I see Spanish involvement being negotiated for a price, perhaps some portage or territorial concessions. Spain would love to get a new foothold in the New World and they would use this as their opportunity to accomplish that. Cash poor but resource rich Mexico may even offer Germany some territorial or mineral concessions for providing support. From the Mexican point of view, better to give it to an ally than let an enemy take it, and perhaps the Europeans will be more effective allies if they have to win back their new territories from the invaders.

By the time Texas realizes that they are becoming the center of the worlds attentions, it will be too way late to change course. They will need more allies if they hope to survive.

With other European and Old World powers will getting involved on one side or the other as events progress, Mexico could end up being the weak little sister on her own soil, she may ultimately end up loosing much more in the long run.
Flying the Crimson Skies

[GSS]Bandit
PostsCOLON 99
JoinedCOLON Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:46 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON German Kaiserreich

Postby [GSS]Bandit » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:55 am

How much does the CS geopolitical climate differ from the real historics? I mean will there be a WW2 starting in '39 or have the european nations (especially Germany, of course) taken vastly different routes with their politics? In the first case I can see Germany only offering small amounts of troops and weaponry as they will rather keep it for themselves with the Invasion of Poland getting closer. So I think they'd just sell a few bombers to Mexico and/or Texas to keep 'em all happy and also secure access to helium, oil and whatever Mexico has to offer...

Just my 2 cents
Many happy landings!

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:57 pm

To date, in the CS Universe, Germany has not invaded Poland. The Kaiser is still power and may still have some legal claim to a Polish title, at this point, Hitler (His chancellor) has only just shown interest in Poland's helium.

Crimson Skies WWII is pretty much an open book waiting to be written. European politics of CS are rather different than they were in our own history, but most of the specific differences are as yet unrevealed.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Return to