SW News: Republic of Texas annexes State of Laredo

Got history/background for a region in CS? let us know. (Also includes re-interpretations of Canon if you wish)
Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

SW News: Republic of Texas annexes State of Laredo

Postby Thom » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:12 am

In the fall of 1937, The Republic of Texas, angry with Mexican based pirates, which they claimed were violating the Helium Treaty of earlier that year, pulled a surprise retaliation and invaded the northern reaches of Mexico. Texas Air Rangers and contracted mercenaries launched a sudden attack into the Mexican states of Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, Coahuila and Chihuahua. Striking critical targets as far south as San Fernando, they swiftly subdued and captured the major cities of Monterry, Saltillo and Chihuahua. Keeping on the move they struck targets further south to keep the Mexican Govt busy while their forces consolidated their northern holdings.

Even as everyone seemingly paused to take a breath, Arixo, hiring some of the same mercenaries that Texas had employed, struck without warning, taking most of the Mexican state of Sonora and parts of Chihuahua. Arixo now controled the regions from Juarez south to the western outskirts of the city (Ciudad) of Chihuahua and west to the Gulf of California and the Colorado river. Many speculate that Texas secretly footed the bill for Arixo expansion as insurance, adding a larger buffer between Texas proper and Mexican Govt troops.

In Jan of 1938, when the dust had settled, The Republic announced the annexation of the new Protectorate State of Laredo, and that all current residents would be given fair opportunity to become citizens of the Republic or leave as they choose. ARG 5 was created and commissioned with the protection of Laredo. They are based in Monterry and Chihuahua and their ranks are supplemented by contracted mercenaries. They will likely be there until such a time as The Republic can afford to replace them which is not likely to be soon.

At the same time Arixo announced the full expansion of their border into their captured territories. They have offered to create a reservation for those who do not wish to become citizens of their nation, offering amnesty
to anyone who chooses to enter the reservation.

Pirates and bandits, fleeing the invading forces have flocked to Baja, but now live in fear that Hollywood may be eyeing them for their own expansion.

Mexico has responded by strengthening her ties with Germany, trading oil and foodstuffs for German war machinery and technological assistance. The Texas Air Rangers control the skies near the border for now so Mexico is unable to manuever troops closer for now.

All is not rosey for the occupiers though, bandits, the White River Apache Band and their Mexican Resistance allies remain a constant (though minor) danger to the invaders. . .

Thom. . .
(Unknown to anyone at that time, these actions would be the opening shots of WWII.)

Grant Wrote
A good plot-line. If/when I ever move into a WW2 campaign, I think this would be a good thing to use.

Texas invades Mexico, Germany assists, minor clash with Lousiana incites German<>French, slowly furballs its way to the big-time.

Carthaginian Wrote
Hmmm... Wonder which side the British would come down on: France, Germany, or their own.

If it's either of the latter two, things could get dicey for Texas with Dixie so close.

Phoenix Wrote
Would Germany ally with Texas? I thought that Texas was strongly non-foreign nation assistance.

Grant Wrote
That is true, but from what I got from the Texas Sourcebook, it sounded like ties with the ISA were at least civil, due to the fact that Whittly and Douglas were in both area's, however they weren't endangering their ties with the Empire State.

Likewise many Texans were somewhat sympathetic to the Germans, due to a large number of them with German backgrounds.

My take is that Texas would mainly go against Dixie, Lousiana, and the PC....Of which are supported by France, Britain, and Russia.....All of Texas close enemies, are supported by what would be the Allies, and the nations it's ties are civil with, are close to the Axis.....

Thom Wrote
While the Texans were sympathetic with the Germans, Germany is firmly an ally of Mexico as shown in the Airmans Gazetteer.

France and Britain are officaly allies, however, Quebec and Ontario are enemies. They also butt heads in the south where Britain supports Dixie and France supports Louisiana. As I see it, good will cannot long remain between France and Britian if hostilities flare in their protectorates. They are both enemies of Germany though and might find common cause if working against the Germans.

Phoenix Wrote
Actually, the Airman's Gazetteer states that Britain and Germany are allies.

Grant Wrote
Possible allies. The question is how Germany proceeds..There is not the antagonism there was in real-life. However Germany has not proceeded into Czechoslovakia or Poland yet......Before those things happend in real-life relations were civil(Although not friendly as in CrimsonSkies).

Although not a deal-clincher either, their North American allies are pretty well divided, with little common interest.

Carthaginian Wrote
In actuallity, it appears to be just Alabama and Louisiana that are involved in their own individual conflict- should Mississippi and/or Arkansas have been involved as well, the war would have been a short one for Louisiana. Remember, Dixie is unique among the North American political entities in that it is not a NATION but a CONFEDERATION- it is a collection of free and independant States, even up to the point of each State having it's own diplomatic relations with allies (as indicated by the 'seperate embassies comment in the fluff) and individual enemies (as with the ongoing Alabama-Louisiana 'skirmish').
Going even deeper than that, it appears that the Alabama-Louisiana 'skirmish' is the result of a situation where an English ex-pat and a hotheaded collection of Bayoumen have decided to undertake a private war which has endangered the stability of the area, and the national governments are preparing for possible escalation, fearing that the militias involved might stop going after each other and begins to cause actual infrastructure damage.

I think the Ontario/Quebec feud is a bit more of a local issue than a 'colonial war.' Here you have two cultures that have been in opposition for domination of Canada for over 200 years; both of them are now free of being reigned in by London... the only logical conclusion is for them to attempt to stamp each other out of existence in order to dominate the area. It doesn't seem that Britain and France are IN FAVOR of the conflict... I think they both see it as a 'safety valve,' preventing the other nation from amassing the necessary resources to make a bid for other colonial areas that could be taken more easily- like Britain taking S.E. Asia via Burma and Siam or France moving into Egypt from their African holdings.

Yahzuk Wrote
Very interesting story line and nicely written too! The campaign I wrote and am currently playing with my PBEM group is about the start of a Mexico-Germany alliance. Ironically, its nicknamed "THOM" - short for "The Hellhounds of Mexico".
Flying the Crimson Skies

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Re: SW News: Republic of Texas annexes State of Laredo

Postby Cyagen » Tue May 11, 2010 11:35 am

How does that fit in the Pride of the Republic canon?
Malphas, over and out

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Tue May 11, 2010 1:11 pm

In Pride of the Republic, the hostility with Mexico is mentioned often, particularly with bandits and pirates working out of Mexico and raiding into Texas causing great friction between the two nations. Additionally there are issues over the Helium Treaty with Mexico feeling they have been unfairly treated. ADDITIONALLY yet more (heh heh) it is just 1937, there are many people alive who remember Pancho Villa's 1916 raid into New Mexico (Then a state in a shared nation, right next door!), and racially speaking there is the whole Remember the Alamo thing. Long standing friction, historically speaking, both in the real world and in the Crimson Skies universe. (Incidentally, Pershing's punitive forces included the newly adopted airplane, Curtiss JN-4, was used by the 1st Provisional Aero Squadron to conduct aerial reconnaissance. One of the earliest military uses of an airplane!)

And, most importantly to me. . . I just think it would be a damn cool story!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Patrick
PostsCOLON 195
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:24 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Postby Patrick » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Well I know I'm late to this party, but I like this concept and the write up that follows it. Texas (and indeed all of the nations and organizations in CS) were set up to be antagonistic and every single alliance is fragile at best.

This is so players can justify any prolonged campaign in their own gaming and that it would fit (even if loosely) into CS canon. The most care was given by the designers where borders were concerned. It is why Empire State and ISA has a very tense relationship, Texas and Louisiana, Hollywood and Pacifica, etc. But another thing they did well was make distant connections, adding to the intrigue and bolstering up weaker nations with more powerful distant allies.

Louisiana would likely be steamrolled by Texas (and/or Dixie) if they didn't have the support of France. Texas is brash and aggressive but has Hollywood, Germany (to a lesser degree), the ISA (to an even lesser degree), and distantly, Deseret (Utah).

Regarding Mexico, I could see this scenario (Laredo) being a nice campaign pack, where Texas takes it and Mexico has to get it back. When it came to the border war at the end of Pride of the Republic, FASA told me I couldn't have the outcome change the overall balance of power in the region (thus no significant land could be exchanged.) So I settled for destruction of property and loss of life. Having a border campaign with Mexico would interest me greatly. I am sure they are still smarting after their loss over San Antonio de Bexar.

Good stuff.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:25 am

Thanks Patrick! I was so in love with this concept that I actually began writing a novel (Notes for a series of novels really) for it. I poke at it a page or two now and then, but I really lost my inertia and I realized that anything I did would ultimately be reduced to an unsalable fanfic. No matter how good or bad it was, it could never be legitimatized as canon. I envisioned a three pronged attack into Mexico by Texas, Arixo and Hollywood in a temporary alliance of convenience. The thought being that keeping Mexico busy on three fronts would prevent them from effectively retaliating against their attackers on any front. With the taking of Baja, Hollywood would become the Republic of California composed of the states of The Baja Provisional State, Hollywood and Sierra (Northern California). Arixo would remain a single entity with much expanded borders. Of the invading nations, Arixo is the weak sister and it suits the two larger republics to keep Arixo propped up as a buffer between them.

The secret driving force behind this war would be Howard Hughes, who for his own reasons provided much of the finances, political push and lots of Hughes aircraft. He also secretly recruited and equipped the mercenaries, in the form of the Hell's Angels and other Veterans Motorcycle Clubs, used by all three nations for the effort. Ultimately I see it drawing Germany and Spain into Mexico, giving us the beginnings of WWII in Northern Mexico with a front from coast to coast. Nation after nation will begin sticking their nose into the fray. Never really gave much thought as to how WWII would end, or even if it would really, but I can ultimately see most of North America becoming involved, with battlefields from Panama all the way to the Arctic Circle.

Perhaps the muse will strike and I will drag out those notes again!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Postby Jerba » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Thom, Don't forget that Utah/Deseret would probably stick its nose into a Mexico war as well to protect the Mormon colonies in Northern Mexico. I can see them joining the alliance or WWII just to keep their interests there intact. The Mormons may even welcome a chance to pay the Mexican government back for some harassment of the settlers there during the revolution when land was taken by the state and several leading citizens executed. Many of the white settlers fled back to Arizona and Utah during that time. Though not all did. I can see the colonies being a pretext to help in the war effort.

Link to my Utah map (including the colonies) http://g.co/maps/6kg7m

Colonia Juarez and Colonia Dublin are the major colonies in Mexico to this day. An interesting fact is that current Republican primary candidate Mitt Romney's father George was born in the Mexican colonies. Romney is still a big name in those parts.

Back when we were working on the radio drama with Istok I believe I wrote a news clip about the colonies. I should try to find that.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007

Postby Thom » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:24 am

This has some very fascinating story potential. By the map, those colonies would firmly be in the area annexed by Arixo. Perhaps Deseret would supply some Mormon "Mercenaries" to Arixo in return for certain guaranteed concessions, maybe something like protected municipal autonomy? By "Mercenary" I actually mean regular troops working covertly in civilian clothes like the famous American Mercenary Flying Tigers in China before WWII. Having a Mormon militia in place would free up Arixo troops to deploy elsewhere.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368

Postby Jerba » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:46 pm

Ah, I didn't realize they were already in Arixo! Yeah, a Mormon militia would seem logical in such a case. Perhaps, Deseret would send some folks to help, Lambs of God anyone (See Helium War)? There are large Mormon communities in Arixo already, Mesa and Snowflake area particularly which are 50-75% Mormon which would probably mobilize as well. Maybe, if Deseret was really tricky, they would use hostilities with Mexico to further destabilize Arixo and increase their position in the predominantly Mormon areas.

Of course, all of this is a huge departure from the topic.

To stay on topic: Don't mess with Texas?.

Patrick
PostsCOLON 195
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:24 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Postby Patrick » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:39 pm

I like where this is headed.

I think the nation of Deseret (Utah) is underrepresented in the CS world. I would assume it is because they would keep to themselves and most likely maintain a neutrality and fierce defense of it's own borders. However, having them as an "Isreal" type nation - surrounded by enemies and always vigilant - would make for good CS pulp drama. :)

BTW I originally requested they change the name of the "Lamb of God" fighter, since Mormons generally don't utilize word for secular use, which is why they changed it to Zion. :)

Patrick

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368

Postby Jerba » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:00 pm

I agree with you, Patrick. Deseret is underrepresented but I can understand it not being a big priority or market for FASA to really tap into either. The name of Zion for the Davis fighter was a much better pick, than Lamb of God would have been. I didn't know that there had been another name for it. I was referencing the squadron name of the Deseret/Utah fliers from the Spicy Tales Great Helium War story (they didn't like Texan cussing one bit!) who would probably be utilized in similar expeditionary fashion in a Mexico or Arixo related fight.

This is kind of inspiring me to take up the back story of the Deseret Territory a little more. I started it a bit here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=296

Of course, I really dislike the Utah Flag that made it into the CS canon. The cross is indeed a Christian symbol but is not used in Mormon symbology for a variety of reasons. A better alternative would have been:

The above was actually developed (or something similar to it) in the 1800's in the Deseret Territory. Perhaps this should all go into a non-Texas thread? :)

Return to