Québec Source book - The Warzone 3

Got history/background for a region in CS? let us know. (Also includes re-interpretations of Canon if you wish)
Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Québec Source book - The Warzone 3

Postby Cyagen » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:51 pm

This one almost wrote itself when I sat down. It is still a draft and I need to put stats on the pilots for the Scenario but only one text to go for the warzone!

The St-Lawrence Sector (Kamouraska and Rivière-du-Loup)

Since the French legionnaire stopped the Maritime Provinces push towards Québec City, both sides have been satisfied to entrenching themselves along the main road and the former railroad on the St-Lawrence’s south shore. The rest of the sector, down to the Central sector in the south-west constitutes a kind of buffer zone that rarely sees any ground forces. Most of the civilians that returned to the sector are still living their life mostly as it was before the invasion.

The Maritimes Provinces keep the bulk of their forces around Rivière-du-Loup and the road / railway that links it to Edmonston in the Maritime Provinces. The ATQ seems happy the sit like a roadblock south in and near Kamouraska, expending their trench network and fortifications in the direction of Rivière-du-Loup a little more every day. -L

This sector is nevertheless the object of intense aerial patrols from both sides. The AAQ wants to make sure that no enemy force launches an offensive in the sector and the MPAF has to keep an eye of the numerous resistance groups, or saboteurs as they like to call them, that try to disrupt the communications between the Rivière-du-Loup enclave and the Maritimes Provinces.

Intense is a big word to use here. The fact is that both countries have committed so much force around St-Georges that they are forced to a kind of ceasefire in the least important sector. The AAQ has only 3 squadrons assigned to this sector, the 2nd (M) Loup Marins (Grey Seals), 16th (M) Guèpes Noires (Black Wasps) and the 3rd (P) Sternes (Terns) in addition to the Le Corbeau (Raven) a Chasse-Galerie class zeppelin. -L

What is very interesting to see are some more enterprising individuals like to take advantage of the lack of control found in this sector. Théodore Lavoie, the man that flew me from St-Éleuthère, the last village south of the MPA control zone, to St-Asène were I had an appointment with the most important man in that sector.

“Both the ROQ and the MP are calling smugglers and criminals, but we are just businessmen.” I had to turn the volume of my headset to maximum to hear him above the thundering noise of the old Junker biplane cargo plane that he was flying. “It’s not like we are carrying alcohol, weapons or stuff like that, we are just bringing stuff that normal people need, that just happens to be stuff that the armies also need.” For this short flight, Lavoie was carrying mostly motor oil and grease and tractor spare parts, all bought on the black market naturally. “The main danger is not getting shot at by any of the air forces, they usually ignore us as long as we make an effort to get out of the way. No, the main danger is getting caught in the middle when decide to have a go at it.” Our fight was uneventful, my pilot having been provided the MAPF patrol plan the day before by a friendly contact in Rivière-du-Loup. After dropping me and his cargo, the old biplane flew off south with a new cargo. Like the old coureurs des bois in the time of colonization, those daredevils are keeping the economies of these isolated communities running.

« Defenders » of the Républic

The Pascal's Peacekeepers

If the ROQ had a public enemy number one, Dominic “Sharpeye” Pascal would be it. But when you see him in person, he does not look as fierce as the Québec propaganda made him. He is a short man, around five feet five, with delicate, dark, almost feminine features. The thing that stayed with me was his hands, they were more like pianist hands, not the hands of the most successful pirate of the St-Lawrence. This was not the first interview given by Pascal to the press, he appeared numerous times in Maritime Provinces publications, but it was the first one given to a publication of international importance. We met in a quiet little restaurant overlooking the river that had previously be made safe by half a dozen though looking men from the Peacekeepers. Pascal started by telling me his, actually his father’s story.

Robert Pascal was a orphan red Indian boy that had been raised in one of tougher orphanage in Montréal. He had never been a big boy, but he always had been one of the smartest. This turned out to be his salvation as the priests in charge of his education tutored him and after his primary school, made sure that he got access to the best education possible. So with his brain and some luck, Robert Pascal ended up studying economy in the École des Hautes Études Commerciales in Montréal. “This is what turned him into a communist” told me his son with a little smile. “Reading Smith, Marx and Heidegger convinced him that he could make a difference.” Robert entered the civil service upon graduation and was send to Rivière-du-loup to man the Farm and fisheries Ministry office there. He fell in love with a local girl and became a man of some importance in the region, although his political views put him at odd with the most powerful organisation in town, the Catholic Church. However, with the Winter War, he came to a truce with the local bishop and helped organised a fleet and some planes to locate and track the Royal Navy as it sailed down the St-Lawrence. His enthusiasm for independence won him the favour of the Church that agree to disagree on politics with him and stayed neutral in to election that saw him elected as a MP for Rivière-du-Loup. “In February 1934, my father left for the spring session of Parliament in Montréal and never came back.”

What happened to Pascal senior is still the object of intense debate in the ROQ. The years preceding the 1934 invasion were very tumultuous. A lot of parties were jocking for position and they rubbed shoulder with each other not always in the most pleasant of fashion. Robert Pascal was the leader of the Québec Communist Party, a group of 5 members of parliament very popular with the populist press in the hard years after the Great Depression and in constant conflict with the Parti du Québec party of the Governor Levesque. “Three days after the invasion, he called me to tell me to make sure that everyone in the family was safe and not to worry about him. He said to me that he would try something radical to save the country. That was the last anyone heard of him before the announced that he had been arrested on charges of treasons.” Since then, Robert Pascal seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth.

According to our information, Robert Pascal was having secret contacts with the British government in order to create an alliance against the Maritime Provinces, a common enemy, to open a second front and allow the newly formed country to survive the invasion. He managed to get negotiations going but was arrested on the spot when he tried to involve ROQ officials. He was banded a traitor, arrested and thrown in jailed. –L

“According to the dictators in Québec, he died of a heart attack shortly after his arrest, but they have not yet been able to show us his body.”

Dominic Pascal believes up to this day that his father is still alive in a prison in Montréal and his ready to do anything to free him. This turned him into a revolutionary. He had no problem to win the support of the community; even the local bishop protested the arrest. “However, when the MP entered Rivière-du-Loup, the contact with the capital was lost and I could not continue to negotiate for the release of my father. But two days after the start of the occupation I saw the French cargo ships and zeppelins that cruised up and down the St-Lawrence.” Pascal used all of his family money to buy four Devastators and started raiding the ROQ traffic from his hometown. He was immediately successful and the MPAF started supporting him with planes and pilots. Praying almost exclusively on ROQ shipping and its allies “Sharpeye” is now heading a fleet of 20 planes and 3 Zeppelins. Branded a traitor and a MP puppet by the ROQ government Pascal took pain to tell me that he would disband the Peacekeepers as soon as he his reunited with his father.

Pascal has always refused to carry have letters of Marques from the Maritimes Provinces. His pilots are a mixed bunch of local supporters, MPAF delegated pilots and normal pirate scum. – L

As noble as his first intend could have been, Pascal has acquired a reputation of ruthlessness and never asks or gives quarters when facing the AAQ. He is a marked man and he knows it.

(Update from the editor) Last month Dominic Pascal was almost captured when he was ambushed by the AAQ and lost two of his three zeppelins, one destroyed by the Saint-Jean Baptiste and the other one in a daring raid by the squadrons from Kamouraska.

Scenario – Wasp Nest

The notoriety of the Peacekeepers and their success at harassing Québec’s trade makes their destruction the number one objective of the AAQ in the Kamouraska sector. The Québec air force is ready to commit forces from other sectors to achieve this objective. Recently they elaborated a sophisticated ruse that resulted in the destruction of two of the Peacekeepers’ zeppelins. They managed to bait most of the planes and the Robert Pascal away from Rivière du Loup and lead them in a wild goose chase across the St-Lawrence where they were ambushed by the Saint-Jean Baptiste. In the mean time another group of Québec planes ambushed the planes and zeppelin that were trying to come to the assistance of their leaders.

Set up: Two clear sky map and the zeppelin Pax Romana is set up in the middle of the maps with one of the three Peacerkeeper flight within 2 hexes of it. All the other Peacekeeper planes are in the Zeppelin’s hangar. The Québec player then deploys all his planes on any map edge.

Rules of engagements: The AAQ planes at operating at the limit of their ranges. All fighters except the Hectors must leave 2 hardpoints free to represent the drop tanks that they needed to use to get that far. On turn 20 and on every other turn after, the AAQ player will roll a D6 dice. If the total of the dice and the turn is equal to 25 the game end as the fuel gages of the Quebec planes hit bingo and they have to break up the fight and fly back to base

Victory condition: The AAQ player wins if he destroys the zeppelin or all the Peacekeepers’ planes. Any other result is a Peacekeepers win.

2nd Squadron of the Pascal's Peacekeepers

Flight 1
Earl “Cup” Stanley
Badger
Arnold “Flanelle” Flanery
Devastator

Flight 2
Benoît “Illegal” Éthier
Firestorm
Émanuelle “Hannibald” Caux
Bandit

Flight 3
Rodrigue “Fullface” Gagné
Kestrel
Éric “Le Lion” Lambert
Brigand

Pax Romana, Modified Chicago class Commercial zeppelin, 6 2X40, 2 2X50, AP ammo, Gunners 3 Dead eye

16th Mixed Squadron "Les Guèpes Noires" (The Black Wasps)

Flight 1
Maj. Sylvie “Thémis” Boucher
Tornado
Cpt. Geneviève “Dalia” Pépin
Tornado

Flight 2
Lt. Marie “Madeleine” Petit
Hippogriffe
Cpl. Nancy “Dago” Dagostino
Kestrel

3rd Patrol Squadron “Les Sternes” (The Terns)

Flight 3 Sgt. Julie “Hélène” Lemoyne
Hector
Sgt. Rose “Clytemnestre” Lemoyne
Hector
Malphas, over and out

Thom
PostsCOLON 1005
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Québec Source book - The Warzone 3

Postby Thom » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:56 am

Woooot! Keep it coming and make it so!
Flying the Crimson Skies