The Flag of Québec

Got history/background for a region in CS? let us know. (Also includes re-interpretations of Canon if you wish)
Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

The Flag of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi guys.

Been a long and hot week (35°c in Istanbul, 37°C in Hamburg) and I need to rant.

I still can't get the official CSverse Québec flag. Honnestly, it looks more Scandinavian than anything that is even close to anything in Québec's history.

In my humble opinion, the current flag "Le Fleurdelisé" (Lys flag) is one of the most beautiful flag in the world. Like the one from Texas, it is simple and elegant. Texas got to keep its flag, why not quebec?

If you want it to be a little different, here is another option. This was in fact the prefered choice of Duplessis

Even weirder, the Carillon-Scaré Coeur (Carillon Sacred Heart) that was used for religious festival and the 24th of June (St-John's day)

If you want a clearer cut, there are these two flags. My only grief is that there is a beaver and mapple leafs on it and most people will link that to Canada not québec. Historically the beaver and Mapple Leaf became canadian symbols in the 1950s.

Finally, there is the Patriotes battle flag. It represent the Irish (green), the French (white) and the English (red) that made part of the rebellion. Problem 1: It is now linked to the extremist of the nationalist movement (think Confederate flag non-PC) and it looks like the flag of Hungary (which is red, white and green).

I really think that, like Utah, the Québec flag should be updated, so tell me guys, which one should it be?
Malphas, over and out

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Re: The Flag of Québec

Postby foxmalcolm » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:00 am

Actually I think most of the flags in CS need to be re-addressed, but in answer to your question I like the Carillon Sacred Heart flag.
It conveys a sense of quiet nobility as well as appearing unconventional.
The same version without the heart whilst more appealing [take into account that I am anti-religious] looks too modern.

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Postby Jerba » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:24 pm

I totally agree on flag redesigns across the board (as my objections to the canon Utah flag are probably bothersome by now!). I really like the first flag the best myself. It is classic and indeed beautiful!

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341

Postby Cyagen » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:19 pm

foxmalcolm wroteColonActually I think most of the flags in CS need to be re-addressed, but in answer to your question I like the Carillon Sacred Heart flag.
It conveys a sense of quiet nobility as well as appearing unconventional.
The same version without the heart whilst more appealing [take into account that I am anti-religious] looks too modern.

Interesting that you say that Fox since this is the oldest version. It is supposed to be the flag of the French merchant marine in the 1700s.
Malphas, over and out

Patrick
PostsCOLON 195
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:24 am

Postby Patrick » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Cyagen wroteColonHi guys.

In my humble opinion, the current flag "Le Fleurdelisé" (Lys flag) is one of the most beautiful flag in the world. Like the one from Texas, it is simple and elegant. Texas got to keep its flag, why not quebec?

I agree the Texas flag is simple, beautiful, and striking, but the CS version - while an excellent variation on the original - isn't the Texas flag we have today.

Image[/url]

This one is my favorite of what you posted. Very beautiful.

I really think that, like Utah, the Québec flag should be updated, so tell me guys, which one should it be?

Since the Utah flag has been updated in ZB, I'd say that makes it's update official, in an unofficial sourcebook. :)

When I get around to doing the revisions to ZB, if you like I can replace all of the instances of the Quebec flag with whichever one you decide to go with. I'd say you're the authority here on Quebec. :)

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:06 pm

Yay! New flags all around! While we are at it. . . How about renaming "Hollywood"? I like "The Republic of California" myself, but "Hollywood" just flat sucks for a nations name.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341

Postby Cyagen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:12 pm

I may be alone Thom, but I like Hollywood.....

I'm all for redesigning new flags for minor nations, but not for the big ones. In real life, some nations have realy crappy flags (Angola, Mozembique, Pre-1980 South Africa).

Most of the flags are more a reflexion of ideology then a exercise in style.

But Thom, you dodged the question, which flag for Québec?
Malphas, over and out

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Nobody said anything about renaming nations, just their flags.
If we were renaming nations then I am sure Jerba will put up his hand for Deseret.
Also I happen to agree, "the nation of Hollywood" has a certain ring to it

:mrgreen:

Jerba
PostsCOLON 368
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:27 pm
LocationCOLON Nation of Utah

Postby Jerba » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:31 pm

Nations and flags and certain planes in the canon... there are a lot of things we could nitpick. How far do we take it before we aren't flying the Crimson Skies anymore though? Or we might be, but the universe is unrecognizable to those coming to join us for the first time. There are certainly things that we'd all like to change, I'm personally unsure where that line would be.

That said, I'd like to change the Utah flag. The name? Maybe. :?

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341

Postby Cyagen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:56 pm

My personnal test is: Does it kind of make sense? Is it minor?
Hollywood does, the flag also dito Empire State. And both are a big part of the cannon.

The Québec and Utah flags do not make sense and they are both minor (very minor in the case of Québec. At least Utah got 2 planes to its name). So the changes are acceptable.

But this is just my personal BS test....
Malphas, over and out

Return to