Bombardier CB-7 Loup Garou (Werewolf)

Made a plane? Bought one? Got a real oddball? Well let's see it.
captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:18 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON CYWG

Bombardier CB-7 Loup Garou (Werewolf)

Postby captnmartin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:27 pm

First aircraft for the Quebec Sourcebook, working on fine tuning the write up, comments appreciated.

Class: Heavy Fighter (Pusher)
Wingspan: 45ft 7in
Length: 30ft 2in
Height: 12 ft 3 in (excluding prop)
Powerplant: (3) PW-960ER (965hp each)
Service Ceiling: 39,000ft
Range: 1,100 Nm
Max Speed: 250 Knots (3)
Max accel: 32.8 fps/s (1)
Max decel: 65.6 fps/s (2)
Max G: 2

Armament
(2) DEFA 60 Cal Low Velocity Heavy Cannons
(2) GIAT 40 Cal MG
(1) FN 30 Cal MG (Superior/Turret)
(8) Hardpoints

Armour
Total 390
N 60
PL 70
SL 70
PT 60
ST 60
T 70

Special:
Multiple Engines (3)
Nitro Injector (5 Charges)
Self Sealing Fuel Tanks
Superior Range II
Cramped Cockpit
Superior Engines I

Bombardier CB-7 Loup Garou

The formation of the République de Québec was a tumultuous affair, the nation emerged from the crucible of war, victorious but bloody. The republic's air force was in shambles, with most aircraft extensively damaged, and few pilots remaining to fly them. Québec was forced to rely heavily on foreign nations to rebuild, and scrambled to purchase modern surplus aircraft and zeppelins. However, rising unemployment and general discontent amongst the populace has recently forced Québec Governor Daniel Levesque to institute a program of intense nationalization. Part of this program was the heavy subsidization of Bombardier Aerospace, and several no-bid contracts were awarded to the unproven manufacturer for aircraft to replace the Kestrels, Hornets and Firestorms that made up the Québec Armée de L'Air.

Design History

Revealed in the winter of 1936, the massive Bombardier CB-7 Heavy Fighter left quite the impression on the assembled press as it was rolled out onto the icy tarmac at the brand new Bombardier Mirabel Aerodrome. The large fighter bomber had an enormous wingspan, and as many subsequent lawsuits from Hughes Aviation have stated, more than a passing resemblance to the Hughes Bloodhawk.
The CB-7, callsign “Loup Garou” or Werewolf, was designed from the ground up to be an ideal all-weather fighter bomber for Québec. Of primary concern to engineers was the ability for the aircraft to meet the 500 mile operating radius required by the government contract. The plane has been tailored for long range patrol, with three high efficiency Pratt and Whitney Quebec PW-960ERs driving massive contra-rotating props, a tremendous wingspan allowing for extended high altitude operations, and extremely low drag fuselage.
Despite it's large size, the Loup Garou is not an easy target in the traditional head on or trailing aspects, due to it's exceptionally narrow vertical profile. A result of fuel saving streamlining, the low aspect makes targeting the fighter more difficult than many pilots first assume. Adding to the difficulty is the CB-7's extremely accurate rear firing machine gun, controlled via electrical relay from the gunner/bombadier position. The gun is carried recessed inside the fuselage until needed, further reducing drag. The Werewolf also mounts a surprisingly high amount of armour, as well as self-sealing fuel tanks, adding to the aircraft's overall survivability.
In addition to the nasty turret sting, the Loup Garou mounts a heavy arsenal of weaponry, including twin DEFA “Décimateur” 60 caliber low velocity cannons, supplemented by twin GIAT 40 caliber machine guns. In addition to its main guns, the CB-7 has a large internal bay that can be configured to carry anything from a single 1000lb bomb all the way up to sixteen flak rockets. This massive payload makes the Werewolf a dangerous multi-role aircraft.
However, as with all aerospace projects, all the efforts at maximising the aircraft's range have deeply affected other areas of performance. Of major concern is the aircraft's acceleration rate. While equipped with three engines, the large contra rotating props exert heavy stress on both the engine and driveshaft. In addition, the engines are tailored primarily for long endurance, not short burst power. Because of this, the Werewolf is extremely slow to accelerate, especially when loaded down with fuel and armament payload. The inability of the aircraft to convert its power to speed is a liability in combat. To counter this, Bombardier equipped the CB-7 with a small nitrous oxide system, designed to temporarily improve performance, at the risk of damaging the fine-tuned engines.

Role and Deployment
The Werewolf is the primary striking force of the republic. It's impressive range coupled with its heavy punch makes it a superior Fighter-Bomber. In particular, the endurance of the aircraft allows the Loup Garou to fly long strike routes that can bypass heavily defended air corridors on the way to the target location. In addition, the aircraft can climb to stratospheric heights, keeping it out of range of most other fighters. Despite the aircraft's capabilities, it remains relatively cheap to manufacture, allowing Québec to field large numbers of the CB-7. Most of the aircraft's components, including the engines, are produced in Québec, which also helps to lower costs. The CB-7 can usually be spotted patrolling the vast airspace of Québec on long extended missions. Perhaps more so than the aircraft's strategic importance, is the one it plays for the nation of Québec. The manufacture of the plane has been a boon for both the economy and the morale of the nation. The Loup Garou has become a national symbol of what the people and industry of Québec can do, and the heavy drone of the aircraft at altitude is a constant reminder for the populace of the self-sufficiency and independence of the nation.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Bombardier CB-7 Loup Garou (Werewolf)

Postby Thom » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:32 am

Dude, that ROCKS! Very nice!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:58 am

Hmmm...

It wouldm be relatively easy to miniature as well...

Make a cut in a bloodhawk's wing, put a warhawk engine in the cut, then meld it back together....

Dangit you'r gonna make me cut up more miniatures!!! AND I HAVEN'T EVEN FINISHED MY OTHERS!!!! :lol:

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:42 am

Well, you have to ask yourself, do you really want a Loup-Garou in your fleet? Also, what I would do, is scale up the bloodhawk a bit, since the Werewolf is a sizeable plane compared to that little fighter.

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:34 pm

Who cares if I want one in MY fleet???? It looks to nice....

Lol. Oh well..Still gotta harass my painter into finishing the planes I've converted before I do any more.

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:41 pm

Rereading the fluff can I assume that the Loup Garou is too large for most (or even all) Zeppelin (Internal) carriers? (That would exclude top flight decks of course)
Flying the Crimson Skies

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:47 pm

No. it Just makes docking one a royal pain. Well, docking isn't too bad, the wings fold up. It's the launch, you drop with the wings folded, and have to deploy them in the dive, then start the engines. Not entirely practical.

Kaffis
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:51 am

Postby Kaffis » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Neat. I'm either overlooking the base target number, or you omitted it, though. =)

captnmartin
PostsCOLON 139
LocationCOLON CYWG

Postby captnmartin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:10 pm

Whoops! Base 3

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Mon May 03, 2010 10:46 am

In my concept of Québec, they got no money to build such big planes. They are barely keeping up with the production of Harpy and Harphands.

They use mainly the Kestrel and captured Warhawks and Vampires.

This is not a jugement of the plane, just a statement of my "cannon".
Malphas, over and out

Return to