Mockingbird "Special When Lit"

Made a plane? Bought one? Got a real oddball? Well let's see it.
Neo-Tanuki
PostsCOLON 68
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:14 pm

Mockingbird "Special When Lit"

Postby Neo-Tanuki » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:12 pm

Phew! This has definitely been a Crimson Skies-themed weekend for me!

After I finished painting my last two planes, I was going through my storage drawer, and found a couple of very old plastic models I'd ordered years ago and forgotten about-a pair of 1:300 scale Lockheed L-133 jet fighters. As I looked them over, I thought to myself, "You know, I might just be able to make a Mockingbird conversion out of these..."

The next few hours were spent doing a LOT of filing, cleaning and cutting. I cannibalized one model, clipping one of its fins so I could add the rudder on the underside of the Mockingbird's nose. I also built an engine/propeller out of green stuff to fill in the jet intakes in the tail. That was far and away the hardest part. I'm not good with green stuff, and every time my hand slipped, the engine came out misshappen and I had to start over I had to fight back the urge to throw something. :o

Eventually, though, I was able to assemble something I thought I could work with. In honor of the Mockingbird's creator, Patrick Koepke, I decided to go all-out and paint the most famous Mockingbird scheme from the Texas Air Rangers-Phillip "Flamberge" O'Malley's "Special When Lit." (Since there were example pictures here on the forums, this helped enormously.)

It was definitely a challenge (handpainting the tiny Republic of Texas flag was probably the toughest part from me aside from that cussed green stuff) but I'm not entirely displeased with the finished product. Comments and criticism welcome, and if you see this Patrick, I hope I did O'Malley justice!

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Mockingbird "Special When Lit"

Postby Grant » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:41 pm

DAMN!!! That's fine work.

Always love seeing custom work go up.

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:28 am

Nice!!

Do you have a picture of the original minis?

Now go and playtest the plane.
Malphas, over and out

Neo-Tanuki
PostsCOLON 68

Postby Neo-Tanuki » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:21 pm

Cyagen wroteColonNice!!

Do you have a picture of the original minis?

Now go and playtest the plane.

Thanks, Cyagen. The original plane is from a miniature supplier called the PT Dockyard. Here's a pic of an original, unpainted mini:

https://www.facebook.com/15555106448290 ... =1&theater

It's been a few years since I purchased it, I should email him and see if he still sells them in case I feel like building more Mockingbird proxies.

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:22 pm

Nice conversion work!

Making the small things is always the hardest part.
Malphas, over and out

Patrick
PostsCOLON 195
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:24 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Postby Patrick » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:34 pm

Outstanding work!

I've never liked that due to how the chips fell, the Mockingbird is one of the few miniatures for CS that never saw the light of day.

Special When Lit is a beauty! She's never looked so good, even when they gave her the cover of PRIDE OF THE REPUBLIC.

Thanks for lovingly putting that together!

Best,
Patrick

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:39 pm

How did I miss this before?

Outstanding work!

A tip with Greenstuff, if you are shaping it by hand, keep a cup of water on hand to dip your fingers into frequently, it prevents sticking to skin which makes shaping much easier. Keep them wet as long as you are handling the part.
Flying the Crimson Skies

Neo-Tanuki
PostsCOLON 68

Postby Neo-Tanuki » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:38 pm

Thom wroteColonHow did I miss this before?

Outstanding work!

A tip with Greenstuff, if you are shaping it by hand, keep a cup of water on hand to dip your fingers into frequently, it prevents sticking to skin which makes shaping much easier. Keep them wet as long as you are handling the part.

Thanks for the suggestion, Thom. Definitely building the greenstuff engine was the hardest part, so I appreciate the tip!

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:21 am

I've used Greenstuff to mod minis for BloodBowl which worked out OK.

Then I have tried my hand at making planes for CS from scratch, and that wasn't so OK. . .
Flying the Crimson Skies

Return to