Neo-Tanuki's new planes! (Updated 7-5-15)

Made a plane? Bought one? Got a real oddball? Well let's see it.
Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Neo-Tanuki's new planes! (Updated 7-5-15)

Postby Thom » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:58 am

You have a sweet touch with the brush, very well done!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Neo-Tanuki
PostsCOLON 68
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:14 pm

Postby Neo-Tanuki » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:06 am

Cyagen wroteColonThe devastator is nice, but the stats are really bad....

One detail, I notice that your decals do not blend well with the paint job. I managed to find a trick to have good results.

1- When your plane is finish vanish using a gloss vanish (I use a cheap spray on varnish). It needs to be really glossy where you want to put the decal.

2- Place the decal on the plane as you would do normally.

3- Brush on, using an old paint brush, a liberal ammount of rubbing alcool on the decal (I use an alcool based hand disinfection liquid). It will make your decal look terrible but...do not panic, Leave it to dry overnight. The decal should now have sinked in the recesses of the mini.

4- Spray with a dull coat/ matt varnish (again I use a cheap one from a hardware store). It may take you a couple of tries to perfect the technique or find the right varnish but event someone an untalented as myself can get good results with this.

Thanks for the suggestion! I have tried using MicroSol solution but as you can see it doesn't always seem to achieve the desired effect. I'll try your rubbing alcohol suggestion and see how it works.

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:00 am

I've never used MicroSol but in my experience, the most important part is a good gloss coat to take out the shinny decal look.

Considering the small size of the model and the fact that my standard is the 3 feet look test, "melting" the decal in the recess of the mini does not need to be perfect.

Do a test model first where you can test different products/techniques since it would be a shame to ruin your nice paint job with a decal experiment that went bad...
Malphas, over and out

lupo
PostsCOLON 54
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:41 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Bremen/Germany

Postby lupo » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:02 pm

The level of detail on your planes is amazing! Show us more!
the road to hell is full
of good intentions!
---Bruce Dickinson

Neo-Tanuki
PostsCOLON 68
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:14 pm

Postby Neo-Tanuki » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:40 pm

lupo wroteColonThe level of detail on your planes is amazing! Show us more!

Thanks Lupo! I took a break for a while after the summer, but I have some more minis coming in the mail, so hopefully will have more images soon.

NickHNASB
PostsCOLON 81
JoinedCOLON Mon May 20, 2013 11:34 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
CONTACTCOLON

Postby NickHNASB » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:03 am

Neo-Tanuki wroteColonAnd here's the second, a Pursuit F-37 Special, as seen in Patrick's excellent "Zeppelins and Bombers" supplement! The miniature is from fellow forumite Nick's Fen Edge Wargaming shop on Shapeways, and I have to commend Nick for another great job bringing Patrick's planes to life:

I was originally trying for a police-style color scheme, as supposedly the F-37 is designed specifically for law enforcement (though apparently no one is quite sure what Pursuit Aviation is up to). It came out much more like a racer than I expected. But on further reflection, I suppose if you were trying to sell a plane to the police, you'd try and make it look snazzy, right? :lol:

Wow, that's an amazing paint job! Thanks for taking the time to make one of my models look so good.

I've been *taking a break* from 3D modelling but hope to get some new models (and rescales) up on Shapeways in the next few weeks.

Return to