Bristol Type 141 Balfighter

Made a plane? Bought one? Got a real oddball? Well let's see it.
stormwell
PostsCOLON 102
JoinedCOLON Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:49 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Postby stormwell » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:43 pm

During the mid-1930s the Royal Air Force was in the midst of retiring its now obsolete biplanes and modernizing in response to both rising tensions with Germany and the rise of sky piracy. A recently concluded study had shown that an increasing amount of firepower was required in order to stay ahead as new fighter designs came onto the market, the report suggested a minimum of eight machine guns as the new standard instead of the previous two. Cannons, which could fire exploding ammunition, were suggested as an alternative in light of experience from the skies over North America. Though the problem then arose was that at the time the most agile combat aircraft were generally small, also had limited fuel storage and range. A multi-engined fighter appeared to be the best solution to the problem of range, but a fighter large enough to carry an increased fuel load might be too unwieldy to successfully engage in combat. But after the McDonnell S2B Kestrel came about after a joint Dixie-British partnership, the British Air Ministry issued a specification for a twin-engined fighter.

Round the same time the Bristol Aircraft Company was mulling over plans to update its Balmoral light bomber, an aircraft that had already been in service for over a decade. Upon hearing of the Air Ministry specification, Bristol decided to make a conversion of the Balmoral as their entry. Work began in earnest was aided greatly by the decision to use as much of the tooling for the Balmoral as possible, but as work progressed on the 'Balmoral Cannon Fighter' it became clear that it would be an entirely new design and ended up becoming the Type 141 Balfighter. Though thanks to using as much of the Balmoral's parts and designs the first prototype flew in just less than eight months after the design had started.

Tractor Heavy Fighter
BTN: 3
Max Speed: 3
Max Gs: 2
Max Accel: 2
Max Decel: 2
Range: 750 miles
Armor
Nose 50
Port Wing Leading/Trailing 50/40
Starboard Wing Leading/Trailing 50/40
Tail 30

Weapons
2x .70-caliber nose mounted cannon
2x .30-caliber turret mounted MGs

Special Characteristics
Multiple Engines (2)
Superior Range (II)
No Zeppelin Hook.

Cost $7,900

~

First design using Aeronaut, basically a homage to the Bristol Beaufighter which the Balmoral may or may not had been based on.

I may enter it into Carth's wee competition since it looks like it qualifies.
Last edited by 3 on stormwell, edited 0 times in total.

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Re: Bristol Type 141 Balfighter

Postby Carthaginian » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Boy, she's a big beastie!
Those .70 cals will be deadly as heck if she can get in close enough to make 'em count.
My only concerns stem from the fact that she's fairly easy to hit and neither heavily armored nor agile/quick.
Then again, you can't have it all!
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

stormwell
PostsCOLON 102

Postby stormwell » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:16 pm

The Beaufighter had four 20mm cannons and six .303 machine guns when it came into service, making one of the most heavily armed fighters of WW2.

I may tweak the design a bit, though I'm curious where I can find a list of special characteristics?

EDIT: Upped the armour all round.

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:45 pm

stormwell wroteColonThe Beaufighter had four 20mm cannons and six .303 machine guns when it came into service, making one of the most heavily armed fighters of WW2.

I may tweak the design a bit, though I'm curious where I can find a list of special characteristics?

Special Characteristics are in Behind the Crimson Veil; none of the CS books are particularly easy to come by anymore, though. Not sure where you might look except for E-bay. I have found them on lonely clearance racks at local game stores... but not for a while. There are probably less legitimate ways to get the books- but all mine are hard-copy and legit (albeit stored away since our last apartment inspection).

And as far as the guns go, I generally use this 'equivalency' to make it easier to bring OTL designs into CS:
.30 caliber MG = .30 caliber MG
.40 caliber MG = .50 caliber MG
.50 caliber MG = 20mm cannon
.60 caliber MG = 30mm cannon
.70 caliber MG = 37mm cannon
This makes it a LOT easier to match the number of guns on the aircraft when dealing with real life designs one wishes to import, while keeping the TN down to a reasonable level on lighter aircraft.

The speed issue... well, I solve that by saying that the speed is 'cruise speed' - generally 50 mph below max speed. To reach your aircraft's 'real' (OTL) 'top speed' you'll need to 'Redline the Engine' to achieve a top speed 1 hex greater than your actual listed top speed. This means the 350 mph limit in Crimson Skies can be pushed to 400 mph- a respectable enough number, even during during WWII! NOTE: an aircraft can't maneuver at Speed 6, it can only fly straight ahead... mostly because there aren't any 'Speed 6' rows on the maneuver template. :D

These little 'additions' help me rationalize a lot during plane design.
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

stormwell
PostsCOLON 102

Postby stormwell » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:04 pm

OK, cheers.

Got most of the books as PDFs apart from Pride of the Republic and the Airman's Gazetteer, but Ral Partha Europe sells the Pride of Republic for a very reasonable price and my local game store is going to see whether he can get it in since he orders his Warmachine/Hordes stock from the same warehouse used by Ral Partha.

This will include the models as well. :D

Going to see who owns the rights to the board game, if anything to see about getting PDFs of the books back on the market but thats probably something for another topic.

I'll have another look at the weapons though.

stormwell
PostsCOLON 102

Postby stormwell » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:01 pm

OK, tweaked it a bit and added in a couple of special characteristics as well as adjust the range.

Think I may stick with the .70-cal cannons, idea being its suppose to have a hefty punch.

Return to