Cyagen's planes - 04 17 Update

Made a plane? Bought one? Got a real oddball? Well let's see it.
Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Re: Cyagen's planes

Postby Cyagen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:54 pm

I got recommended a PVC floor cleaner by a guy at a hobby store.

Works very well.

However, do not bother stripping the WK plane. Just apply some primer and start painting.
Malphas, over and out

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm
Are you a Human?COLON Yes
LocationCOLON Melbourne, Australia
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:36 pm

oh, should mention in both cases the containers that hold them should be sealed, ziplock bags works best.
And don't be alarmed if the plastic comes out feeling soft, just let it set and it will be strong in no time.
Sometimes the paint doesn't come totally off, thats ok too, just give it a quick scrub and the paint should fall off.
If not then rinse and reapeat.

The only time I have to do it more than once is with old models that I used to "apply" the paint rather thickly.
In the end you end up with a clean surface to paint on and you now have far more detail then you realised.

But be warned not all cleaners work the same so do a test run on a old or damaged model first.

lupo
PostsCOLON 54
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Bremen/Germany

Postby lupo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:37 pm

I just put two "test balloons" in regular spiritus (1,50€ at the drug store)...it is in for some hours now, paint is loosening, plastic still stable...I check back in some hours!

I think most of the planes could just be "re-painted" but on some the details are really-really thick (like the yellow on the broadway-bombers), so you could still see the "edge" after painting.

On trying something out I also had problems with the primer being painted on the orignal colors, as it seems quite slippery...we will see...
the road to hell is full
of good intentions!
---Bruce Dickinson

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Cyagen wroteColonHowever, do not bother stripping the WK plane. Just apply some primer and start painting.

Respectfully I would have to disagree, the painters of the WK minis are horrible, especially those that did the broadway bombers and hollywood knights, the paint is so thick you can see the layers with the naked eye.
See for yourself, grab a broadway bombers plane and look at the aileron, the yellow is so thick it forms a lump.
If you were to paint over that you would still see it.

lupo
PostsCOLON 54

Postby lupo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:57 pm

@fox

jep, exactly what I think! Actually the layer was soooo thick, that I first thought, I might just "flip" it of with my finger.

By the way: The "test-balloons" are the two firebrands...I used 'em, cause Wizkidz screwed it up...why the hell did they resculp the cockpit? WHY? It looks so shitty, destroys the great looks of the fighter...maybe I will cut it of and try it myself...can't get worse ^^

other:
Anyone knows, if the paint-remover also removes the glue? Some of the parts are put together terrible...not in line. But if you try to "remove" it, it might break.
Suggestions?

cheers

EDIT:
By the way, just took another look at the minis in spiritus: Works great...and I think spiritus is way cheaper, than special cleaner or breack-liquid
the road to hell is full
of good intentions!
---Bruce Dickinson

foxmalcolm
PostsCOLON 640
CONTACTCOLON

Postby foxmalcolm » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:14 pm

I have had no trouble with the glue, for the most part it appears to be just plain ordinary superglue [no chemical bonding has occured].
Also they used it sparingly, so I usually just throw them in the frezzer for an hour then use a fine blade to snap them open . . . super glue doesn't like the cold!
As for the price of brake fluid, I don't know where you are but for me my local asian $2 store has a small generic bottle for about $4 to $5.
The beauty of it is I just strain it and put it back into it's container when I am finished.
I have been using the same bottle of brake fluid now for 4 years, still works.

lupo
PostsCOLON 54

Postby lupo » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 am

Yeah, so the Spiritus is at the same price, same effect...and for what I heard, you can use it over and over again for years...maybe put it through a paper coffee-filter, to remove the old paint.
the road to hell is full
of good intentions!
---Bruce Dickinson

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:46 am

I use Dot II/III brake fluid to remove paint, set it in a jar over night and brush it off the next day, then soak it over night again in denatured alcohol or acetone to neutralize the brake fluid, otherwise your new paint job will fail and peal out from underneath!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Postby Cyagen » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Here are my first attempts at the Québec markings.

The struggled with the white on the Devastator so I turned it in a Naval unit grey. I give you the first plane of the "Fighting Puffins"

But this is my final scheme for Québec. So this is a Raven from the 11th Heavy Fighter Squadron "Cap Blanc"
Malphas, over and out

Thom
PostsCOLON 1007
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm

Postby Thom » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:35 pm

Sweet!
Flying the Crimson Skies

Return to