[Zeppelin] Dixie - R-class (1932)

Made a plane? Bought one? Got a real oddball? Well let's see it.
Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

[Zeppelin] Dixie - R-class (1932)

Postby Carthaginian » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:23 am

Be gentle... it's my first time.
Lemmie know what ya'll think and point out any mistakes.

R-class airship

Class: R (River) Class
Type: Small Military Zeppelin
Length: 775' length x 155' max. diameter
Gas/Armor Rating: 120/Armored
Gondolas: 1 (full keel)
Engines: 6 Gardner I-8 engines
Hanger capacity: 18 aircraft (maximum), 12 aircraft (service)

Weapons:
Dual 30 caliber turret, Engine Pod 1, (P)
Dual 30 caliber turret, Engine Pod 2, (S)
Dual 30 caliber turret, Engine Pod 3, (P)
Dual 30 caliber turret, Engine Pod 4, (S)
Dual 30 caliber turret, Engine Pod 5, (P)
Dual 30 caliber turret, Engine Pod 6, (S)

Special characteristics:
Aircraft Carrier (6 additional aircraft)

Cost: $ 1,937,500 (old U.S.D.)
Construction time: 10 months, 10 days (0.86 yr.)
In the service of: Confederation of Dixie
Formerly:
Currently:
Crew: 81

Construction Points:
Bridge 10 CP
Gondola 25 CP
Hanger 10 CP
Aircraft Carrier 15 CP
Strafing Wire 5 CP
Twin .30 cal turrets (6) 12 CP
Armor 10 CP

The first class of combat airship constructed by the new Confederacy, the R-class (more commonly known as the 'River' class) bears the marks of a design built to maximize function at the expense of form. Built by a nation unsure of what they would be facing from their adversaries, the R-class tried to pack as much as possible into what the Confederate Congress thought would be a reasonable expense. They are regarded as a homely class of vessels, lacking the graceful streamlining of modern airships. Their silhouette is instantly recognizable to any nation bordering Dixie: a large, bulbous bow leads into a somewhat 'fat' midships, with only a small amount of tapering on the after 1/3 of the ship's length, and full-length gondola starts about 50' aft the prow and extends almost to the tail fin assembly.
What they lack in appearance, however, they make up in capability. The bulky, full-length gondola allows the very small design to carry a comparatively huge air wing of 18 combat aircraft, though only 12 are generally carried on routine patrol duties during 'peacetime' to save on expenses. They are also rather well-armed for their small size, with each engine nacelle mounting a pair of .30 caliber machineguns. When they were first launched, no vessel in their size class carried more aircraft or as much defensive firepower. The major downfall of the class is the fact that crew comfort suffers greatly in the face of the operational demands made upon the vessels. The CO and XO share a stateroom, the officers must 'hot rack' as though they were ratings. Additionally, for the entire crew, there are only two heads available; this has lead to a common joke in the C.A.C that "pilots who fly too close to a River might get wet." This is mitigated by the fact that the class seldom embarks its full rated air wing... but when loaded out for combat, even pilots must hot-rack, and ratings are stacked four high in the bunkrooms.
Currently, there are eight R-class in service with the C.A.C. A pair of the oldest (the former Patomic and Pearl) were recently sold to private militias in the Confederacy. The remaining eight were refitted with strafing wires and had their engines replaced and are expected to soldier on for several more years.

CURRENTLY IN C.A.C SERVICE:
Tombigbee
Tuskaloosa
Ogeechee
Altamaha
Escatawpa
Yazoo
Loxahatchee
Kissimmee

CURRENTLY IN PRIVATE SERVICE:
Buckatunna (13th Mississippi Air Militia - the Sawyers)
Amos Moses (3rd Florida Air Militia - the Gatorbaiters)
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Patrick
PostsCOLON 195
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:24 am
Are you a Human?COLON Yes

Re: [Zeppelin] Dixie - R-class (1932)

Postby Patrick » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:47 pm

Nice! I could see this as an answer to Appalachia's own small zep.

Thanks for the write up!

Patrick

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Re: [Zeppelin] Dixie - R-class (1932)

Postby Carthaginian » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks, Patrick.
I heavily debated giving her the 'Aircraft Carrier' special trait- and my yet remove it, because it feels a bit too similar to the Appalachian 'ship- but it gave an excuse to build an 'ugly' airship with a full-length gondola. I also didn't want to start out with a monster zep (too cliche) but rather something that might actually get built in numbers. This seemed like a logical little design for a large production run by a young nation: small, inexpensive, quick to build and packing a punch.

And the write-ups are half the fun... that's what makes the planes and airships 'real.'
Anything without a writeup and a picture just ends up being a collection of stats.
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Return to