.60 Caliber DumDums

Expanded/Home Rules for Crimson Skies
refund
PostsCOLON 34
JoinedCOLON Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:49 am

.60 Caliber DumDums

Postby refund » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:44 pm

We have a house rule I almost forgot about. It has to do with the .60 DD damage:

60CaliberDD.png
60CaliberDD.png (909 Bytes) Viewed 2800 times

We've expanded the damage by 1 box.
This is because the 'weight of the gun to damage' ratio of the .60 DumDum is so bad, that even with the extra damage box it is still the worst in the game (see table below)

CodeColon Select all

.40 MG: 250 Lbs.  -  36 Lbs/dmg
.50 MG: 400 Lbs.  -  39 Lbs/dmg
.30 MG: 150 Lbs.  -  44 Lbs/dmg
.60 MG: 600 Lbs.  -  44 Lbs/dmg
.70 MG: 850 Lbs.  -  49 Lbs/dmg
.30 DD: 150 Lbs.  -  50 Lbs/dmg
.40 DD: 250 Lbs.  -  63 Lbs/dmg
.50 AP: 400 Lbs.  -  67 Lbs/dmg
.60 AP: 600 Lbs.  -  67 Lbs/dmg
.70 AP: 850 Lbs.  -  71 Lbs/dmg
.30 AP: 150 Lbs.  -  75 Lbs/dmg
.70 DD: 850 Lbs.  -  77 Lbs/dmg
.50 DD: 400 Lbs.  -  80 Lbs/dmg
.40 AP: 250 Lbs.  -  83 Lbs/dmg
.60 DD: 600 Lbs.  - 100 Lbs/dmg  --> 86 Lbs/dmg

We first accepted the stats as they where, but after we did the calculations, nobody used DumDums in their .60s anymore. (and even now, it is rarely used)

Another nice thing to note is the 'best ammo for caliber' is always the MG round. Also, although the .50 AP and .60 AP have the same weight/damage ratio, the .50 has better range.

The best gun for the ammo list:

CodeColon Select all

.40 MG: 36 Lbs/dmg
.30 DD: 50 Lbs/dmg
.50 AP: 67 Lbs/dmg

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Re: .60 Caliber DumDums

Postby Carthaginian » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:18 pm

Lotsa nice math you did there, Refund.
Kinda puts a new spin on things for designing aircraft. This gives you a really good guide on what kinds of weapon to mount on 'multi-purpose' designs as opposed to more specialized ones, especially when weight is a prime concern. :D
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

Grant
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 913
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Postby Grant » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:59 pm

Hmmm. It's funny what differant people experiance :D

I've only played about....8?? games on my own, but in each I've used .60 DD's.

Although my personal preferances are for AP, the DD's have been devilishly effective. They widow armor pretty badly, seems like about every 3rd hit or so, 2-4 blocks are cut off and lost due to it.

And MG rounds...Even when loaded with all MG's, it always seems like I have hits on burning boxes, which stops any progress!!!

I've been thinking of changing the DD's however too.

Adding a PAIR of blocks on the very top row, one per side.

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Postby Carthaginian » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:50 pm

My problems with magnesium rounds is that I always roll suck numbers when I do the burn rolls. :evil: Generally, I just stick with standard AP rounds when I test things, unless it's a .30 caliber gun. Then you really have to pick another kind of round to 'mix and match' in order to get some good effects on the armor.

EX: With my Valiants, I generally load out as follows:
1 & 2: AP
3 & 4: DD
5 & 6: MG (or AP if a poor militia)

For .40 cal and .50 cal weapons, I'm ambivalent; I can take either AP or DD rounds and be happy. I will say I avoid the magnesium rounds for those types because a bad roll can loose you a lot of damage. For larger weapons, I generally just stick with AP rounds. They do good damage, generally knock holes in vital parts fast and don't require luck to get good damage potential (blasted MG rounds!). I mean, once you get into the .60 cal and .70 cal rounds, ammo type is kind of a moot point against most adversaries- one solid hit and most enemies are running for their home map edge with a very busted plane!
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

refund
PostsCOLON 34
JoinedCOLON Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:49 am

Postby refund » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:00 am

I usually try to select a load based on gameplay, not based on the above statistics. Not every militia has access to everything they want, not everybody knows what's best, there are quite some myths being told, it's hard for an average pilot to select the best load for the job, etc. etc.

For testing I do use the above statistics..
DD: .30 & .40
AP: .50, .60 & .70
as a general rule.
I don't use MG for testing because they behave differently, and blowing up a fuel-tank leaves an 'unfinished' feel.

Return to