Night Combat Rules

Expanded/Home Rules for Crimson Skies
Cyagen
PostsCOLON 341
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm
LocationCOLON République of Québec

Night Combat Rules

Postby Cyagen » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi guys, these are very simple and very effective night combat rules for CS.

They have been playtested a couple of times and most player found them fun and a nice way to simulate it.

I'm looking foward to your comments.

----------------------------------------------------
Night combat rules

All the standard CS rules are in effect except fort he following:

Movement:
When a pilot is victim of random movement following a missed G-pushing manoeuvre, he must roll higher than 10-SS or suffer from shock.

Planes roll for collision every time they stand in the same hex, because of darkness pilots and wingmen with radio do so also.

Combat:
+2 to hit per hex of range
+5 to hit to bombing and strafing
Flare rockets work automatically if a pilot looks directly at it. If he does not look at it but is in the area of effect or is the pilot that fired the rocket, make a CON test to avoid being affected.

Tailing:
Smoke is not visible and does not affect tailing
-2 penalty to SS to the plane tailing because of the difficulty to anticipate the moves due to lack of visibility

Illumination:
A plane is considered illuminated if it is in the area of effect of a flare rocket or of a projector.
A flare rocket illuminate for the rest of the firing phase in which it was fired.
If a plane or a target is illuminated, it can be fired upon using the normal CS firing rules.
Malphas, over and out

Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Re: Night Combat Rules

Postby Carthaginian » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:14 pm

I like... I like! Simple and pretty intuitive; don't seem like they would bog things down much, if at all. A very worthwhile addition.
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

setbb.com
PostsCOLON 70
JoinedCOLON Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:11 am

Re: Night Combat Rules

Postby setbb.com » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:53 pm

Carthaginian Wrote
I like... I like! Simple and pretty intuitive; don't seem like they would bog things down much, if at all. A very worthwhile addition.

Cyagen Wrote
Thanks!

I came up with this set of rules in 10 minutes with my former gaming group. When we tried it, it took 5 minutes to explain, nobody got confused and we were all surprised that it worked so well.

To be honest I though that it was too simple but with the playtests, it proved perfect. It covers 96% of all eventualities.

By the way, I did not added it but we made a rule for searchlights: It randomly changes facing every turn and illuminates the complete row from its position. I'm still not sold on that rule since some playtesters had the feeling that the lights should have some kind of way to coordinates with the defenders.

I'm happy that you like them

Carthaginian Wrote
Cyagen wrote:
By the way, I did not added it but we made a rule for searchlights: It randomly changes facing every turn and illuminates the complete row from its position. I'm still not sold on that rule since some playtesters had the feeling that the lights should have some kind of way to coordinates with the defenders.

How about just using the rule for the Monitor turret to keep things simple?
360 degree rotation, but has a 50% chance of jamming in a hex row?

Phoenix Wrote
For more complex rules, with engine flame covers and illumination rockets, try the Black Zeroes website.

Grant Wrote
Good simple rules....I like them.

However I may be trying and recreat some of the Nightfighters of WW2 (With radar,etc. But set in 1939), soon..but mine will be complicated

Cyagen Wrote
Thanks again for the compliments!

My goal was to give a "night" feel to the Crimson Skies rules. Most tactical wargames degenerate into nofungames when they do night combat. In the name of realism, it becomes a problem to remember all the rules and it becomes almost a new game (the most blatant example being ASL).

I'm all for realism, but it got to stay relative in the case of CS, a 2D plane combat game.

I personally find that the Black Zeroes rules are too complicated for me. Keep in mind guys that airplanes flying at night in the 1930s is an extremely rare thing, so airplanes fighting....

As I said earlier, I also though that the rules would be too simple, but they work. The +2 to hit per hex forces everyone to get close and bunch up the action.

Cyagen Wrote
Carthaginian wrote:
Cyagen wrote:

Nice idea. I got to do a little more thinking about it but I like that.

However, one of the big question mark was: when to "move" the searchlight. With the random determination it was after everyone moved. But if a player got some kind of control, should it be a secret move? Than it takes away any "reactive" advantage. I'm open to suggestions on that since we never really playtested anything but random facing change searchlights.

Cyagen Wrote
Grant wrote:
Good simple rules....I like them.

However I may be trying and recreat some of the Nightfighters of WW2 (With radar,etc. But set in 1939), soon..but mine will be complicated

Radar in CS! I'm VERY curious to see how it plays out.

During some post-game bull session our group had agreed to three basic CSverse rules:

1- No jets
2- No radars
3- No guided missile (beeper/seeker does not count)

Since it takes the fun out of dogfighting but that was our interpretation.

Carthaginian Wrote
Cyagen wrote:
Carthaginian wrote:
Cyagen wrote:

Nice idea. I got to do a little more thinking about it but I like that.

However, one of the big question mark was: when to "move" the searchlight. With the random determination it was after everyone moved. But if a player got some kind of control, should it be a secret move? Than it takes away any "reactive" advantage. I'm open to suggestions on that since we never really playtested anything but random facing change searchlights.

Uhm... this might necessitate a bit of complexity, but how about letting the searchlights & flack guns determine facing and then going with the aircraft in initiative order.

Alternatively, you could just have the searchlights and flack gunners roll for initiative like everyone else.

Phoenix Wrote
You could try some adaption of hte Night Fighting rules from Warhammer 40K, where you roll one or two dice, and that's how far you can see. So maybe roll a dice, and add SS/2 or soemthing, to see how far you can see.

Cyagen Wrote
Phoenix wrote:
You could try some adaption of hte Night Fighting rules from Warhammer 40K, where you roll one or two dice, and that's how far you can see. So maybe roll a dice, and add SS/2 or soemthing, to see how far you can see.

Could work, but I found that the +2 per hex worked perfectly, so if it ain't broke....

Phoenix Wrote
Don't Fix it!

FF5 MadMaxX Wrote
May i add this rule to our revised "aces and gunslingers" sublement?

We have looking for good night combat rules for a while now and i think
they work perfect.

I will add also a note like "rules by cyagen from Crimson Skies Forum" or your email if you want.

Cyagen Wrote
PM sent regarding the use of rules in your ebook.

Return to