Rockets/Jets

Expanded/Home Rules for Crimson Skies
Carthaginian
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:48 pm
LocationCOLON Daphne, Alabama, Confederation of Dixie

Rockets/Jets

Postby Carthaginian » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:24 pm

I once had some rules drawn up for rocket planes, though i have lost them. I might be trying to make some new ones up when I get finished with the Cuba/Caribbean sourcebook... anyone have any input or rules of their own to share?
Southrons, hear your country call you!
Up lest worse than death befall you!
To arms, to arms, to arms in Dixie.

All my planes are made with parts from: http://www.toposolitario.com/workshop/crimsonskies.html.

setbb.com
PostsCOLON 70
JoinedCOLON Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:11 am

Re: Rockets/Jets

Postby setbb.com » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:46 pm

Phoenix Wrote
I have some rocket/jet rules of my own, but they may need some refining... I'll put them up tommorrow, it's pretty late where I am.

Phoenix Wrote
One note: While all the work on jet engines is my own, the rocket engine was inspired by Wings of Honor, and the high fuel consumption rule comes from them.

Here they are:

Rocket Engines
Increase Max Speed by 5
Increase Accel by 3
Add 100% to engine cost
Fuel cost is tripled
Weight is 100 lb. per engine
Most have poor throttle, and may NOT have inferior/superior/premium range
High Fuel consumption=for every 2 minutes cruising at half speed or less, cross of one box on the fuel tanks; for every round in combat, cross off one box; a ground takeoff takes 4 boxes; zeppelin takoffs are as combat

Jet Engines
Increase Max Speed by 4
Add 200% to the engine cost
Fuel cost is doubled
Weight is 200 lb. per engine
Range is as propeller planes, may have inferior/superior/premium range

These rules are rough, and I welcome comments that help to refine them.

Grant Wrote
I have basically identical Jet Engine Rules except.

#1. At speeds under 3, regardless of the accell value, you can only accelerate by 1....Although not technically a realistic type thing, I wanted to handicap Jets at low speed.
#2. Above speeds of 5, there can only be S maneuvers, because the G-load would be too high(AND I am too lazy to calculate G-loads above the ones rated on the referance chart, although they would be so high, it would take a super-pilot to accomplish the maneuvers).

Carthaginian Wrote
I had similar rules... though different in some aspects:

1.) rocket engines weigh 20% of base payload capacity
2.) rocket engines use (11 - BTN) 'blocks' of fuel per turn
3.) rocket engines all have 'Poor Throttle.'
4.) rocket engines reduce the cost of an engine by 25%.

Rocket engines have a max speed of 7, which may be accelerated to normally. Above speed 5, they are capable of only 6SA and 7SA maneuvers.

When a rocket engine suffers A "Max Speed X" or an 'Engine Destroyed' hit, roll the die. On a roll of 1-2, the aircraft explodes. The pilot may attempt a Combat Bailout as per 'Fuel Tank Explosion' rules. Fuel tanks on a rocket plane explode normally if hit by magnesium rounds.

Rocket engines can have 'Superior Range' and 'Inferior Range.' Superior Engine' gives 1 (+10% engine cost) or 2 (+20% engine cost) turns worth of fuel. 'Inferior Engine' subtracts 2 turns worth of fuel.

Rocket Engines can have 'Superior Engine' or 'Inferior Engine.' 'Superior Engine' gives the pilot of the plane a +1 (+10% engine cost) or +2 (+20% engine cost) bonus on his Combat Bailout roll to avoid engine explosion. 'Inferior Engine' gives the pilot of the plane a -1 bonus on his Combat Bailout roll to avoid engine explosion.

Phoenix Wrote
Actually, that limit on accleration is realistic. One of the first jet engines, the German Junkers Jumo 004B, was very prone to flameouts or compressor stalls if the throttles were moved to quickly at low speed, however, once the engine reached approximately 6000 rpms (85% power), a regulator kicked in to prevent engine failures.

Grant Wrote
I know it was, But I looked, and I am not sure? On weather or not the US P-80, or RAF Meteor were? I couldn't find any info on that part.

Phoenix Wrote
The early P-80s did indeed suffer that limitation, as their engines were mere copies or actual Gemran jet engines. The early Russian jets did not, as the Russians used higher quality metals to make the engines more resilient. The RAF Meteor used a centrifugal flow jet engine, instead of the axial flow of the Me 262. In a centrifugal flow engine, the compresser blades are farther from the combustion chamber, making the engine much more resilient.

Grant Wrote
ah ok. Well, at least I got that rules right

Carthaginian Wrote
Here's the data for the Me-163's engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_HWK_109-509
http://www.pilotfriend.com/photo_albums ... 0Komet.htm

One thing I noticed on my quick glance was that the engine for the 8,750 lb Me-163 weighed only 220 pounds! It produced the equivalent of 3,748 hp (1700 kW / 16.67 kN) in thrust and could get the plane to above 550 m.p.h. at 30,000 feet. Of course, it also had to have about 4,000 lbs of fuel for flight time that varied from 7 minutes to 12 minutes, depending on the model.

So, for 7 to 12 'turns' of powered flight- and 4 more going by the 100 mph per turn deceleration in the rules)- the rocket for a BTN 6 fighter takes up over 50% of the plane's weight! That seems a bit extreme... but does it give us a starting point for some way to generate rocket engines?

Return to